PvP The problem with piracy

How often are you encountering experienced CMDR's? For me its like 1 out of every 20
Well I try to pick my targets, but yeah about that ratio. Lots of rich noobs about with unshielded stock condas. To be honest I don't have an issue with experienced cmndrs being hard to pirate, that's (mostly) fair enough. My real issue (aside from clogging which shows no signs of being addressed) is with comms being too easy to miss

I've never encountered a genuine pirate but have encountered lots of gankers. How does a ganking build differ from any other? Obviously the FSD Interdictor and I'm presuming something to stop the victim running away? Otherwise just a regular PvP build? With SLF in the form of two buddies in their gank-mobiles?

I've never encountered a genuine pirate but have encountered lots of gankers. How does a ganking build differ from any other? Obviously the FSD Interdictor and I'm presuming something to stop the victim running away? Otherwise just a regular PvP build? With SLF in the form of two buddies in their gank-mobiles?
A manifest scanner, collector limpets, hatchbreaker limpets and a cargo hold are on my pirate ship. A PvP build will have none of that, it will probably have HRPs or MRPs instead

Combat logging is one of several underlying problems that makes CMDR piracy difficult. Context defying escapes make other considerations moot, and even the threat of them has a significant chilling effect on piracy (and other) gameplay.

Other major underlying problems include defensive inflation and the fact that escape has always been just a high-wake away. There are very few practical mechanisms to stop competent pilots from jumping out, and essentially no way to follow them (wake scanning is a joke and will only work against the lazy, who only exist because consequences are nil regardless). These are the some of same mechanisms that significantly curtail the viability of bounty hunting, or effective policing of CMDRs in general.

Anyway, if anything, I'd say the victim has too much bargaining power. Afterall, if the pirate doesn't appease the player of the CMDR being targeted with the gameplay provided, that player can go about their business in a mode where the pirate can never touch them. Even if the player enforces their own limits on such behavior, pirates are impotent to inflict significant consequence for non-compliance...the most the victim can lose is a load of cargo and a ship, the latter of which will be returned to them, essentially free of charge.

As for pirate vs. combatant. A pirate is perforce a combatant. Piracy is openly hostile. It's extortion backed by the threat of force. The only indicator of an interdictor's specific intent should be their reputation, or that of the group they belong to.

This is a bizarre collection of worst-case scenarios that does not reflect my experience, or the experiences of anyone who has more than a few, well at all.

My CMDR has been pulled over by pirates on numerous occasions over the last five-and-a-half years. He's lost cargo once to a hatchbreaker (back in 1.2 when he was in a shieldless Asp X, smuggling slaves so he could afford one of those fancy new Vultures), and was still able to make sure the pirate couldn't take it before narrowly, but successfully escaping (from an actual pirate who just wanted to steal my CMDR's hard earned rares with his Clipper).

About 90-95% of the time, my CMDR simply leaves. About 5-10% of the time, he's able to destroy or drive off the pirate(s) and go about his business (or at least dock safely). My CMDR has never lost a ship without choosing to stand his ground and fight, at least initially (though he does occasionally wait a little too long to bail on a losing contest), and has certainly never lost a ship to anyone, or any wing, well-equipped for piracy.

It should not take a wing of three or four CMDRs of similar experience to for me to feel my CMDR's shieldless trade ships are at some vague risk of losing cargo (either through theft or destruction), but it does.

A cargo ship in dangerous space is hardly a non-combatant and the idea that they should view themselves as such is lunacy. If one thinks they have something others may want, and realizes that there is nothing stopping them from trying to take it, the only rational recourse is to make efforts to protect oneself. The gamist types will stay out of Open and take just what they need to prevent NPC piracy (which is usually nothing). Those staying in Open will quickly learn basic escape and evasion, throw some HRPs and countermeasures on their CMDR's ships, and also become virtually immune to piracy...unless they are piracy tourists who think being mugged is somehow desirable.

Complete nonsense.

All of these are silly.

There isn't any defense that cannot be used offensively and the specific example of a "warp-core stabiliser" would barely reduce combat effectiveness...hitscan weapons or any weapon used at point blank range doesn't much need working sensors to be effective. A panicked "non-combatant" boosting in a straight line with a tin can death trap is not going to last any longer even if their attacker has to turn off their entire HUD or fly in third person.

Pirates already weaken their combat ability by taking, at the very least, one ship that has a cargo rack and one ship that has an interdictor. Arbitrarily handicapping the offensive capabilities further would not save anyone who needs these kinds of mechanisms.

The third suggestion would either need you to be able to read the interdictor's mind, or further heavy-handed mechanisms to prevent anything other than piracy depending on interdiction type, which would be silly and useless, not to mention counter-productive if it keeps others from using the low wake--my CMDR has interviened on several occasions to disrupt piracy, sometimes he's even successful, occasionally without even destroying the trader before they can drop the cargo--wich it would have to do to function as intended.

Not plausible, because PvE is not plausible. NPCs are idiotic and habitually bite off more than they can chew, having no apparent regard for their lives, nor the success of their endeavors. I mean, there are plenty of brain-dead players out there, but most of them can learn something and aren't constraining their CMDR's behavior to try to cater to even worse pilots, so there is no plausible way to keep them from leveraging tools and tactics NPCs will never be allowed to.

The "I don't play this mode and don't know how PvP priacy works, but I assume these are issues and I guess this might fix them", angle is not providing much in the way of insight.

Most of these are solutions to invented issues, or ones that are so fundamental to multiplayer interactions that the only way to 'solve' them is to make the gameplay you are trying to fix completely impossible to perform.

It already exists, and it is a button press! It's whatever you bound your "enable FSD to hyperspace jump" key to.

If it got any easier you'd just be playing in Solo.

Exactly.

Any transport with a small investment in defensive mods, a modicum of understanding of the distributor, and an ability to do more than fly in a straight line for 45 seconds or so is just gonna walk and there are pretty much two things a pirate can do to compensate for that: jack and #$&@.

The more powerful/durable/survivable ships become the less useful interactions there are to have in that window before highwake occurs, and that window is flippin' tiny compared to the game's exceedingly long TTK's (when your target is attempting to do more than their best impression of a drone target, anyway).

A manifest scanner, collector limpets, hatchbreaker limpets and a cargo hold are on my pirate ship. A PvP build will have none of that, it will probably have HRPs or MRPs instead

It's worthwhile to have FSD scramblers as well, but you're damn right they won't. They'll also have an extra shield booster, or a PDS, or heatsink launcher, or chaff launcher in place of the scanner and another pair of HRP's and a second MRP in place of the internals. If they're not doing the interdicting, that'll get dropped for more armor too.

Exactly.

Any transport with a small investment in defensive mods, a modicum of understanding of the distributor, and an ability to do more than fly in a straight line for 45 seconds or so is just gonna walk and there are pretty much two things a pirate can do to compensate for that: jack and #$&@.

The more powerful/durable/survivable ships become the less useful interactions there are to have in that window before highwake occurs, and that window is flippin' tiny compared to the game's exceedingly long TTK's (when your target is attempting to do more than their best impression of a drone target, anyway).

It's worthwhile to have FSD scramblers as well, but you're damn right they won't. They'll also have an extra shield booster, or a PDS, or heatsink launcher, or chaff launcher in place of the scanner and another pair of HRP's and a second MRP in place of the internals. If they're not doing the interdicting, that'll get dropped for more armor too.
Yeah, I have never even lost shields in a fight that I didn't want to be in. It's just too easy to walk away

Direct CMDR comms has actually become less distinguishable. It used to be bright yellow, and more lines of text used to fit in the chat window, which made direct comms hard to miss.

Anyway, I found a few examples of old encounters with pirates, or probable pirates...not the ones I was looking for, but might be interesting none the less.

These are from 1.2.x:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=512bytyifhw

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ZmJ6UEng

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqeYCnKbp4

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkTX769A5HI

And these two are from 1.04:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7yUpMB3Zo

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jitSaQbpXTs

Those are all more than five years old. I'll try to find some other examples when I can spare the time. In any case, escape has generally become easier, and the time it takes to even deliver a macro demand is usually enough to ensure the target is gone before they have opportunity to comply. That's a big reason why piracy has become significantly more violent...you have about eight seconds to cripple a ship or it's gone...there is almost no way to do this against anything but soft targets while you have overwhelming firepower.

Also, a much more recent, but much less representative example. If I thought there was an actual threat here, I would have just left, and that ~6k hull corvette with buttloads of countermeasures and well protected, high integrity, internals will escape, probably with all of it's cargo, unless you packhound the cargo hatch from multiple directions during an FSD reboot (I do know how to roll a ship, to protect the soft bits and point PDTs in the right direction):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hckjcsQ1SDM

For piracy of the sort Elite Dangerous "wants" to work, it'd need robbing a ship to be much much easier than killing it, as opposed to requiring a lot of extra equipment, a finely-tuned attack, and a target with no idea what they're doing.

Far easier would be to just go back to the Elite/FE2/FFE piracy - you blow up a ship, you get about 10% of its cargo surviving the blast and ready to pick up. You don't want your cargo stolen? Don't get blown up. You don't want blowing up? Dump 10% up front and run so they don't have to scoop while under police fire. Hatchbreakers and cargo hatch malfunctions would still have a place - megaship/installation heists, for example - but wouldn't be the key thing.

For piracy of the sort Elite Dangerous "wants" to work, it'd need robbing a ship to be much much easier than killing it, as opposed to requiring a lot of extra equipment, a finely-tuned attack, and a target with no idea what they're doing.

Far easier would be to just go back to the Elite/FE2/FFE piracy - you blow up a ship, you get about 10% of its cargo surviving the blast and ready to pick up. You don't want your cargo stolen? Don't get blown up. You don't want blowing up? Dump 10% up front and run so they don't have to scoop while under police fire. Hatchbreakers and cargo hatch malfunctions would still have a place - megaship/installation heists, for example - but wouldn't be the key thing.
Why collect 10 percent under police fire if it's easier to follow you?

Why ask for 10 percent if it's easier to just kill and take 10 ?

Why ask for 10 percent if it's easier to just kill and take 10 ?
In this scenario the pirate wouldn't ask beyond the implicit hostility of the interdiction, they'd just open fire like they did in Elite/FE2/FFE. The ease would be:
- easiest: trader immediately dumps lots (probably >10%) of cargo as soon as they drop to normal space, and runs away while you're picking it up - opening fire is then a bounty offence rather than just the fine for interdiction, and if the pirate follows the trader to kill them for the 10%, the trader can at least probably drag the battle out of sensor range of the first set of cargo. Meanwhile the trader should be able to get far enough away from the pirate while they scoop up to get to the station before being interdicted again.
- easy for some targets: pirate destroys trader and gets 10%
- still incredibly difficult: pirate carefully disables trader and hatchbreaks them for 100%

The NPC pirates already basically act like it works this way - they have hatchbreakers, but they rarely bother to actually use them.

In this scenario the pirate wouldn't ask beyond the implicit hostility of the interdiction, they'd just open fire like they did in Elite/FE2/FFE. The ease would be:
  • easiest: trader immediately dumps lots (probably >10%) of cargo as soon as they drop to normal space, and runs away while you're picking it up - opening fire is then a bounty offence rather than just the fine for interdiction, and if the pirate follows the trader to kill them for the 10%, the trader can at least probably drag the battle out of sensor range of the first set of cargo. Meanwhile the trader should be able to get far enough away from the pirate while they scoop up to get to the station before being interdicted again.
  • easy for some targets: pirate destroys trader and gets 10%
  • still incredibly difficult: pirate carefully disables trader and hatchbreaks them for 100%

The NPC pirates already basically act like it works this way - they have hatchbreakers, but they rarely bother to actually use them.
Yeah, if I can get a small amount without using a hatchbreaker or opening fire I'll absolutely take that since it makes it a lot easier to stay in the system if I don't have a bounty on my head.

• easiest: trader immediately dumps lots (probably >10%) of cargo as soon as they drop to normal space, and runs away while you're picking it up - opening fire is then a bounty offence rather than just the fine for interdiction, and if the pirate follows the trader to kill them for the 10%, the trader can at least probably drag the battle out of sensor range of the first set of cargo. Meanwhile the trader should be able to get far enough away from the pirate while they scoop up to get to the station before being interdicted again.
  • easy for some targets: pirate destroys trader and gets 10%
  • still incredibly difficult: pirate carefully disables trader and hatchbreaks them for 100%

I can hardly imagine piracy on the Frontier, circling the ship with a 20 mega watt laser, that's all.

I didn't get it at all at the FFE with his computer battle.

For that, I remember Elite One well. It was called milking Python.

You attach yourself behind Python, you dig him with a laser, he dumps the load and you pick him up... You kill him when the load's over.

I'll give you an example.
This is my PvP phantom. There's nothing on it other than weapons, armor, shields and a bit of chaff and is built to the absolute maximum stats for the phantom (ish).
Now heres that exact same ship except setup for pirating. You'll notice its a completely different build aside for a few primary components. My hardpoints are setup specifically not to complete annihilate anything I shoot at. I have Paci's to drop their shields, a super pen rail to knock out their drives and a Grom bomb to keep them from escaping.
I also have collector limpets to pick up my loot, a hatch breaker for when my demands aren't met as well as cargo space.
As you can see, pirate builds are very compromised.

Last edited:
Is there a difference for a gank build? So drawing a difference between not killing someone to get their stuff to actively trying to kill them?

If you are ganking I reckon you want a speedy kill above anything? Those that I've met seem to favour beams to drop shields fast? I'm guessing pirates like rails or FSD disruptor like you have on your build?

Funny enough I met a pirate today, he wanted me to sing him songs, I declined so we had a duel which went on for ages, he was in a hull tank t7 with Prismatic and I had my PA/ burst lasers. He eventually won but I had lots of practice landing hits with my PA! If I landed with more regularity I would have broken his shields.

It was quite a good t7 build actually, I think he had a stack of shield banks, shame I had no rails equipped! That would have really helped! Or phasing, with those SCB's the hull can't have been all that. And this fight was way too long!

Just waiting for my pacifiers on Thursday. I'm thinking they might work really nicely on an FAS with the top and bottom class 3 hardpoints?

If you are ganking I reckon you want a speedy kill above anything? Those that I've met seem to favour beams to drop shields fast?

Frags are almost universally the fastest, they just have issues against agile targets or where the target is durable enough to make frag ammo pools problematic...this is probably not most prospective piracy targets or gank victims.

Last edited:
Is there a difference for a gank build? So drawing a difference between not killing someone to get their stuff to actively trying to kill them?

If you are ganking I reckon you want a speedy kill above anything? Those that I've met seem to favour beams to drop shields fast? I'm guessing pirates like rails or FSD disruptor like you have on your build?

Funny enough I met a pirate today, he wanted me to sing him songs, I declined so we had a duel which went on for ages, he was in a hull tank t7 with Prismatic and I had my PA/ burst lasers. He eventually won but I had lots of practice landing hits with my PA! If I landed with more regularity I would have broken his shields.

It was quite a good t7 build actually, I think he had a stack of shield banks, shame I had no rails equipped! That would have really helped! Or phasing, with those SCB's the hull can't have been all that. And this fight was way too long!

Just waiting for my pacifiers on Thursday. I'm thinking they might work really nicely on an FAS with the top and bottom class 3 hardpoints?
No, not really. Gank builds are just PvP builds. Depending on how serious the ganker is about making sure he kills his victims, sometimes they'll sacrifice a medium hardpoint for a Grom bomb. That's why gankers are usually the best guys to PvP against when you're ready to try it out or test a new ship or something. When I'm bored I'll go to ganking hotspots to pick fights with other gankers.

If you're doing wing PvP battles in San Tu for example, there are some minor differences in ship builds though. We will usually swap out our interdictors for a hull reinforcement and our 5A FSD's for like a 2D or something for less weight.

This is my Chieftain I use for flyin around picking fights... and ganking 🤫 when I'm not in San Tu
And this is my absolute min/max PvP killing machine.

Also, pacifiers are probably my favorite weapon in Elite and there's so many ships that can really utilize them well. I have 3 of em on my Krait II that are deviating but I really don't like the K II. I Have a Vulture with 2 of them that I've actually heard a couple people say they won't fight against it anymore because it's a bit absurd lol. But my favorite ship to use pacifiers on, by far, is the Anaconda. FOUR pacifiers on that bad boy and it just eats everything except cutters for dinner. The first time I fought a Vette with my 4 paci Conda my jaw actually dropped at the amount of DPS I was doing. I think you're gonna love pacifiers. They're so awesome.

By the way, the T7 can get something like 6500 armor with all HRP's and two MRP's.

Last edited:

Depends on what you're flying, who you're ganking, and how long you plan to stick out a fight.

Shotguns when you can run down your target are just about always the best option. PA's of course.

I generally use a boatload of multicannons and a couple small seekers on the Challenger. If the multicannons are struggling to shred the target's shields I bail 'cause it probably means I'm gonna be in a fight and not a one-sided massacare and that's something that ship config just ain't setup to handle or the target has heavily engineered defenses and, tbh, taking 5-10 minutes to chew through them if I'm likely to succeed is simply far less enjoyable than watching paint dry. If I am able to shred their shields in a hurry, I'll pop their drives with the missiles then circle and taunt them until they self-destruct, usually helpfully pointing out that there's no way for them to get their ship back online and the only options are to forever drift there or destroy themselves.*

If I see the same potato repeatedly, such as a naked and armorless Type-7 I picked off one night, I'll disable them a second time, explain to them why their setup makes them easy meat, and then explain how reboot works as I leave. Sometimes.

Last edited:
When I'm bored I'll go to ganking hotspots to pick fights with other gankers.
It's strange when I meet gankers, they tend to attack at least three.

Those who intercept on one seems not similar to gankers as ask about a duel, ask to disconnect the message on murder and other and always put me in difficult position :( As to me it is very difficult to print from a game-pad.

Top Bottom