I've always liked the idea that Raxxla may be in Sol. I've never really considered the asteroid belt, but I lke it.
In ED the asteroid belt is listed with a total mass of 0.0553 Moon masses. RL data lists about 4% of the mass of the Moon. That leaves room for an object about the mass of Ceres.
Ceres was of cource possible to land on in FE2/FFE. In ED it's not there. I don't know why. It's well above the minimum radius of 135 km, that seems to be the min limit in Stellar Forge.

The asteroid belt orbital inclination in ED is set to 4° (ring in Orrery). Real asteroids are distributed with up to 40° inclination. It might be an idea to go of the plane to check, as well.

I'm uncertain about the DB quote. It doesn't quite work out to have an 'Elite requirement' in Sol. There is no gate-mechanic in the game to use there. Having the object (Raxxla) not spawn for non Elites, would be to silly. Non silly Elite gates in the game are basically limited to Shin Des, missions and potentially the Dark Wheel.

I’ve (inadvertently) tried above & below the plane of the asteroid belt as shown in the orrery view, but I think from the instances in my videos (see earlier post) I think it’s within the plane of the belt. Yes, the inclination of the belt is a bit of a pain. When I first started searching I just flew at 1327 ls radius (middle of belt) from Sol inline with Jupiter’s orbit line, but things started to happen after that showed a slight downward curve (with Pluto showing below that, see videos). That started me thinking that the instance is only triggered when you honk within a short range of its position, and when I’d already flown past. There might also be a timeout once it’s attempted to instance- I suspect this is intentionally hard. I’ve tried this for 30 days and only had about 12 instances.

I am undecided about the supposed DB quote. I’ve tried searching for it and it can’t be found. But I do myself vaguely remember him saying something like that, but it’s so long ago that I’m a little sceptical that is an incorrect memory. I was also pondering that “Elite” requirement this morning. It doesn’t make sense in itself, however if the green glow is Omphalos which is a gateway to Raxxla then DB could have designed it as a proper tribute to Holdstock & the original novella said something like “Raxxla is populated by a set of evil Elite pilots” and that could pose the requirement -for the discoverer to stand a chance of survival. So I did a bit of searching yesterday in an agile Eagle instead of my exploration Phantom and with the full expectation that if I do open Omphalos and get through to Raxxla I won’t last long. I’ll try to remember to trigger video recording first! 😁

However it could also be that the original intended gameplay to get there was to follow the Shin Dez Elite missions which would lead to appropriate clues, & so would make sense, but I suspect they might have thought that was too difficult (!) and retconned that gameplay path.

But until someone can get that green glow to trigger and home in on it ....I suspect a Wing is the only practicable way, which fits in with the supposed quote.

Last edited:
wings didn't exist in the game when it was released, raxxla did. Wings can't be a trigger.

I'm not even sure missions really existed at release - i forget how missions were back then but i know missions started off being extremely primitive - which is saying something given how simple they still are.

The wake scanning idea is the only idea i think that has teeth in hiding a system if you were going to hide a system.

Though, if fdev were keen on hiding systems that way, i would think they would have used that method in many other situtions so that the gameplay surrounding finding and exploiting those hidden systems can be utilized by players in general and expand the gameplay the game has available. Especially since that would be an interesting and effective game mechanic when the game has so few of those. I'd imagine they would implement dark systems / rogue planets etc that way and offer certain larger risk/reward scenarios not available elsewhere.

There would be too many opportunities to squander it on just one thing like raxxla.

So it's my professional opinion that raxxla is hiding via a means common to how fdev hides things in general. No special one off trigger or method.

I never said that I thought discovery of Raxxla required a Wing.

I said that I think whatever is in Sol’s asteroid belt is triggered by discovery scanner honk but that you need to be very close to it. That would be easier done by coordinated scanning in a Wing. I fully expect since Raxxla is DB’s own Easter egg there is likely to be something special about the trigger to access it.

But that does give an approximate date for the supposed DB quote which might help in searching for the source, it was released in March 2015, though I suspect the interview was deleted by FD.

Last edited:
Top off the head idea, been so lobg can't recall if this has been postulated. With regards to the ED sound track. I imagine each track has a que in game. Have all tracks been identified in game?

Does Raxxla etc possess a specific musical intro. If so is there a way to identify these?

I heard they failed their last health inspection. the last thing I need is another case of space sharts.

you likely wouldn't know if you did or not. Since we live forever in our suit while in the ship, it's likely that our space suit has a tube that goes right up there so your waste can be connected to your chair's port. Special little tidbit, your ship ejects the accrued waste whenever jumping thru hyperspace.

And now we know why the thargoids are hostile to us.

Uhh, okay so something freaky is going on in Sol and I managed to record it. I'll need to go back and verify, but I was traveling through Sector 16 and using the Orrery map to position myself. At first nothing was happening, but when I switched back to the Orrery map I was suddenly in sector 30. After traveling downward some I jumped back to 16.

It only appears to happen on the Orrery map, not actual physical locations in space, but I'll test some more and see. I'll upload the video later.

Uhh, okay so something freaky is going on in Sol and I managed to record it. I'll need to go back and verify, but I was traveling through Sector 16 and using the Orrery map to position myself. At first nothing was happening, but when I switched back to the Orrery map I was suddenly in sector 30. After traveling downward some I jumped back to 16.

It only appears to happen on the Orrery map, not actual physical locations in space, but I'll test some more and see. I'll upload the video later.
Probably just another bug. Submit it to their bug tracker

I sadly think there is a bug in orrey map with the location of the player spaceship. I have seen this a lot of starsystem and I have reported that bug.

Yep, pointed this out last Wednesday 🙂

You can create the same thing by dropping out of supercruise but tbh it's damn near impossible to see your own. Have a cmdr drop out of SC on your wake and watch behind them. So I would assume this anomaly is some form of wake drop residual

Edit: the way I recreated this anomaly might have been in multicrew also as it has that 3rd person exterior view in the gunner role

Anonaly seems to be part of the Sag A* effects & was totally flying in the gunner seat with CMDR Rututu when it was found. Ive never seen it other times i was in multi crew though , only around sag a.

Top Bottom