thats hyperdiction. You are always returned to where you started.
It could be that the purpose of hyper-diction is to cause some kind of misjump to force drop you out of hyperspace into normal space. I don't know the mechanics of hyper-diction but it could be a theory worth looking into rather than taking for gospel that FDev confirmed it wasn't in game. It might not have been in game at the time of confirmation but implemented at a later date.

It could be that the purpose of hyper-diction is to cause some kind of misjump to force drop you out of hyperspace into normal space. I don't know the mechanics of hyper-diction but it could be a theory worth looking into rather than taking for gospel that FDev confirmed it wasn't in game. It might not have been in game at the time of confirmation but implemented at a later date.
No, it’s hyperdiction!
Misjumps are not in-game according toFD, so not canon lore for ED.

Depends on the definition of a misjump. I think the Thargoids cause apparent misjumps all time when pulling commanders from witch-space.
I've written before, maybe even here, but I'll say it again.
Only Targoid interceptions of commanders are contacts and count in the game.
If we fly to a point with a Targoid, it does not count as contact.

No, it’s hyperdiction!
Misjumps are not in-game according toFD, so not canon lore for ED.
I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense (to me at least, lol). Apart from the obvious, what is hyper-diction? I mean the mechanics of it, how does hyper-diction cause your ship to drop from witch-space? Somewhat same with interdiction, what is the cause and effect of interdiction that causes a ship to drop out of super cruise into normal space?

I am at the understanding that hyper-diction (and maybe interdiction) causes a commanders ship to misjump (may be known by another name, I don't know) therefore forcing the players ship to drop out to normal space. Could be construed to be a misjump in all but name unless it's something else completely different that drops a ship to normal space.

Like I said, I don't know the mechanics of it and could be completely getting it wrong. Who's to say that hyper-diction and interdiction are not a forced misjump. I believe misjumps are in game and are just known by a different name.

A misjump is when something goes wrong and you end up in a random destination which is different from where you started and the destination you’d selected. FD said this was not implemented in ED, which is a shame because it might allow circumvention of permit locks.

Hyperdiction happens when a Thargoid snatches you out of hyperspace and you find you are still in your starting system. Effectively you have not jumped out of the system, only within it.

A misjump is when something goes wrong and you end up in a random destination which is different from where you started and the destination you’d selected. FD said this was not implemented in ED, which is a shame because it might allow circumvention of permit locks.

Hyperdiction happens when a Thargoid snatches you out of hyperspace and you find you are still in your starting system. Effectively you have not jumped out of the system, only within it.
How would the Thargoids snatch you from witch-space during an hyper-diction?
Please don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying, But an hyper-diction only keeps you in the start system but never at the exact same spot that you started the jump. Now the drop out spot may not be as random as you think. I originally asked if hyper-dictions always dropped you in the jump start system or the destination system as well. And if it was (as all seem to now confirm) just the start system then could there be another mechanic to cause a drop out of witch-space in another system. Obviously not named a misjump (as FDev have confirmed?) but a misjump caused by something else out of the players control and named something different. There is one way to drop in out in the destination system and that's to force log-off the game during the jump animation before getting to the destination but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to do it.

Who to say that hyper-diction isn't the Thargoids way of causing something to go wrong with your jump (misjump) and dropping you in a supposed random location (within' the system you start jumping in).

I discovered (probably not?) That you can cause a fault in the jump to the entry point in the target system. As such, I am calling this a misjump. Fdev can suck a lemon if they don't like it. Now they're in game (or technically out of game as the app is closed when the 'misjump' occurs). Problem solved.

Splitting hairs about the terminology doesn't change what happens. The action causes the ship to come out of its jump routine at a location other than where you should come out of a jump.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I discovered (probably not?) That you can cause a fault in the jump to the entry point in the target system. As such Fdev, I am calling this a misjump. Fdev can suck a lemon if they don't like it. Now they're in game (or technically out of game as the app is closed when the 'misjump' occurs). Problem solved.

Splitting hairs about the terminology doesn't change what happens. The action causes the ship to come out of its jump routine at a location other than where you should come out of a jump.

🤷‍♂️
There are misjumps - Jacques was an obvious one. I remember MB coming on one of the iterations of the Mysteries thread when we were pfafing around with trying to cause misjumps and - I could have swore he said there was no way to do it. - of course I cant find this quote now.... And I took it to mean there was no Mechanism by which players could cause a Misjump... like in older games.... not that misjumps are now non-canon.

Also it is the 9th planet. Pluto and the rest out ther are dwarf planets.😉
Yea I find the words we use misleading. Dwarf stars are stars so afaic dwarf planets are planets. Maybe call them something other than planets, right? Like massive asteroids maybe idk. All I'm saying is there would be less confusion if the words we used didn't seem to imply what they apparently don't mean.

Yea I find the words we use misleading. Dwarf stars are stars so afaic dwarf planets are planets. Maybe call them something other than planets, right? Like massive asteroids maybe idk. All I'm saying is there would be less confusion if the words we used didn't seem to imply what they apparently don't mean.
Dwarf planets and moons are planets in ED. It’s the RL therminology that is complicated.

OK folks, prepare to be mesmerized, stunned, and/or lulled to sleep. To stave off space madness, I've been reading a lot and slowly getting caught up on various things.

One of the things I came across was Cmdr Yelboc's website and his transcription of Astrophel and Stella (referenced in the Raxxla codex) in full (among other stuff on his website, worth checking out if you have not seen it before): https://vagabondsofraxxla.wordpress.com/astrophel-and-stella/

This got me to thinking about clues "cunningly hidden" for those "with the eyes to see" line from the Codex for Raxxla. So I pulled out the first 20 lines with the word "eyes" or "eye" in the full text, and started looking for possible simple transpositions and the like. There are 85/85 such lines I believe, so this is roughly a 25% sample. If there is a pattern anywhere in the text, hopefully it would be visible or emerging somewhere here.

Yup, look at me Mum, I'm sciencing! No spreadsheet though, just the transcript and the attached file, which hopefully is readable and maintained its formatting (pasting it as inline code here did not). Format in the file is what appears above/below "eye" or "eyes" in the line it appears, where an underscore represents a space. The columns after each line are the first and last letter of the line "eye" or "eyes" appeared in, the first and last letter of the following line, and the first and last letter of the preceding line, and if there is any punctuation in that spot I have put the preceding letter and the punctuation in square brackets (yeah I know there were likely better ways to present this, but this is how I started so this is what you got - live with it.) There are also all sorts of other simple transposition stuff you could do (first and last word of the preceding and following lines might have been a better choice, or the complete word or words above or below eye/s, but again this is what I have started with and if anyone else wants to build on that feel free, I might at some point).

Anyways, just thought I would share the space madness. Onwards!

Attachments

• raxxla eyes to see.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 140
Just thinking about the Hesperus / Adamastor

Both relate to poems about wrecked ships. Both have mythological ties... Hesperus - the Evening Star ... a ship wreacked on Norman's Reef, Adamastor - a later created monster supposedly a Giant from Greek mythology which personified the Cape of Good Hope. ( was hoping for an east vs west thing... but not sure...)

What i find interesting is going back to Adamastor

The Adamastor bit is from a larger epic poem Os Lusidas - about the De Gammas and the discovery of the sea route around the Cape of Good hope to India. Its even got sirens and the machine of the world :)

Just thinking about the Hesperus / Adamastor

Both relate to poems about wrecked ships. Both have mythological ties... Hesperus - the Evening Star ... a ship wreacked on Norman's Reef, Adamastor - a later created monster supposedly a Giant from Greek mythology which personified the Cape of Good Hope. ( was hoping for an east vs west thing... but not sure...)

What i find interesting is going back to Adamastor

The Adamastor bit is from a larger epic poem Os Lusidas - about the De Gammas and the discovery of the sea route around the Cape of Good hope to India. Its even got sirens and the machine of the world :)
Sounds like that would make a cool mystery map were someone to draw one... :)

Back
Top Bottom