Pathetic? I'd say "predictable". Shows exactly what Frontier's regard toward the "exploration community" is though. Somebody wants to peacefully explore the galaxy in Elite? Quick! Toss some pew-pew at them!

Mmm, not sure that’s entirely fair. Seem to remember a sense of danger when out FRifting (MB- “explorers should go armed”), and exploration is historically a hazardous occupation (used to be mosquitoes, crocodiles, lions, frostbite; now it’s aliens, close binaries, neutron stars...). But the Gnosis’ intended jump into an area surrounded by goid space was always a bit near the edge, and I got the feeling was being set up to fail in some FD goid storyline-related way.

Mmm, not sure that’s entirely fair. Seem to remember a sense of danger when out FRifting (MB- “explorers should go armed”), and exploration is historically a hazardous occupation (used to be mosquitoes, crocodiles, lions, frostbite; now it’s aliens, close binaries, neutron stars...). But the Gnosis’ intended jump into an area surrounded by goid space was always a bit near the edge, and I got the feeling was being set up to fail in some FD goid storyline-related way.

I agree with your assessment that about having a feeling the Gnosis jump way going to fall prey to some Thargoid-related shenanigans which is why I called it "predictable". I also stand by my assertion that it reflects Frontier's regards for the exploration community. Generally us explorers have never quite been playing the game according to Frontier's 'rules" which is why Michael Brookes made that statement about upcoming content that would make it unwise for explorers to go out into the black unarmed. I don't think that Frontier understands that some people just want to go out and explore ... they want everyone to join in the pew-pew fest even if it means dragging players into it who have zero appetite for such things.

I never thought Cone Sector was about Raxxla. Agree with Scytale that the Raxxla storyline is independent from Thargians ... at least for now.

I also anticipated Thargoid activity in Cone Sector based on the Galnet warnings, so my beef is not with the attack on Gnosis (that bit is perfectly fine in terms of the pew-pew narrative). I do however feel cheated that the Gnosis didn't even make the jump all because Frontier had screwed up their permit-locking a while back. I've heard it said as well (by Dreamstate I believe) that Canonn were complicit in the plan, albeit somewhat later on when FDev told them it simply wasn't possible, so for that the Gnosis should burn (I'll happilly sacrifice my DBX docked onboard) - I'll accept that could be a case of misinformation in the forums though.

Did I expect to find something in Cone Sector? Actually, no. I figured it would be just as empty as the rest of the galaxy and the best we could hope for was some first discoveries and perhaps some unusual celestial phenomena. Would even have been nice to get a picture of that region of space from an unseen vantage point. For me it was more about the emergent nature of Canonn doing something 'different', in the same way Drew Wagar tried something different with the Salome narrative. This is an aspect of the game that for me, Frontier *repeatedly* fail to utilise. I really do question the design direction of the game and how much oversight/involvement David Braben actually has.

Sure, the alien stuff is cool when you first see something new, but then it always seems to stagnate very quickly and the game resorts back to its staple of pew-pew and CG grind. There seems to be very little or even glacial development of the narrative and any game play mechanics around that! In some ways I wish they would find a way to support modding of sorts, so that interested parties in the community could create their own missions. Wouldn't even necessarily need asset modding, just the ability to build mini stories linked with missions and locations around the galaxy for people to engage with.

Anyway, hungover today and losing my train of thought now so don't want to waffle on any further. It's testament to this thread that I feel I can air my views with you guys and not have it lost in the sh*t slinging that's happening over on the official thread (okay, I too slung a little bit of it myself in the disappointment of the immediate aftermath).

o7

The Cone Sector has never been about anything. Before the permit locking of COL 70 and the other sectors, several explorers visited. I wouldn't expect many first discoveries in the Cone nebulae at least.
There is nothing in there and it has never been anything there. The sector was simply forgotten, when FD closed the region for future content.

It's will probably be a part of a much larger Thargoid dominated area, once we are allowed in.

Only the Canonn's curiosity put it on the map. I doubt FD have ever had any special plans for it.

Echoing the general sentiment of 'Explorers got short-changed (again)'.

Almost nobody expected unique content in Cone Sector- it was simply an opportunity to explore somewhere you couldn't otherwise get to. It was poor form of FDev to turn it into a combat experience instead.

I never thought Cone Sector was about Raxxla. Agree with Scytale that the Raxxla storyline is independent from Thargians ... at least for now.

I also anticipated Thargoid activity in Cone Sector based on the Galnet warnings, so my beef is not with the attack on Gnosis (that bit is perfectly fine in terms of the pew-pew narrative). I do however feel cheated that the Gnosis didn't even make the jump all because Frontier had screwed up their permit-locking a while back. I've heard it said as well (by Dreamstate I believe) that Canonn were complicit in the plan, albeit somewhat later on when FDev told them it simply wasn't possible, so for that the Gnosis should burn (I'll happilly sacrifice my DBX docked onboard) - I'll accept that could be a case of misinformation in the forums though.

Did I expect to find something in Cone Sector? Actually, no. I figured it would be just as empty as the rest of the galaxy and the best we could hope for was some first discoveries and perhaps some unusual celestial phenomena. Would even have been nice to get a picture of that region of space from an unseen vantage point. For me it was more about the emergent nature of Canonn doing something 'different', in the same way Drew Wagar tried something different with the Salome narrative. This is an aspect of the game that for me, Frontier *repeatedly* fail to utilise. I really do question the design direction of the game and how much oversight/involvement David Braben actually has.

Sure, the alien stuff is cool when you first see something new, but then it always seems to stagnate very quickly and the game resorts back to its staple of pew-pew and CG grind. There seems to be very little or even glacial development of the narrative and any game play mechanics around that! In some ways I wish they would find a way to support modding of sorts, so that interested parties in the community could create their own missions. Wouldn't even necessarily need asset modding, just the ability to build mini stories linked with missions and locations around the galaxy for people to engage with.

Anyway, hungover today and losing my train of thought now so don't want to waffle on any further. It's testament to this thread that I feel I can air my views with you guys and not have it lost in the sh*t slinging that's happening over on the official thread (okay, I too slung a little bit of it myself in the disappointment of the immediate aftermath).

o7

Sorry that sounds exactly like an abused woman's excuses for going back to her husband for the nth time.
We keep coming back and back to fdev only to be abused again.
See you at Christmas for Q4 and the kids.

Sorry that sounds exactly like an abused woman's excuses for going back to her husband for the nth time.
We keep coming back and back to fdev only to be abused again.
See you at Christmas for Q4 and the kids.

I get your point but I've not actually involved myself in an awful lot of what's happened over the years (with a few exceptions). I am definitely going to be watching Q4 updates very closely though to see if it ends up being worth my while.

I said it in another thread but strangely enough (and not wanting to incite a debate here) I'm getting more enjoyment out of No Man's Sky at the moment, as far as exploration goes.

(Redirected) Who is Gallun?

Original Post From -> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/446114-Who-is-Gallun?highlight=Gallun

Was told to ask in here about the character Gallun from the Elite Book's,
From what I know he is mentioned a few times in the books however I don't see any information on Gallun here on the frontier forums and excessive google searches on who he was in the lore.

I have suspicion that he is someone worth to note in the quest for Raxxla or Soontil. Does anyone here have more information on which books to look at or maybe info on who he/she was?

Echoing the general sentiment of 'Explorers got short-changed (again)'.

Almost nobody expected unique content in Cone Sector- it was simply an opportunity to explore somewhere you couldn't otherwise get to. It was poor form of FDev to turn it into a combat experience instead.

At least they gave a one week notice in Galnet.
Thargoids all over the place.

Not a big surprice, as Come sector is in the midle of Thargoid space.

Scytale

Banned
Well, I myself left my CondaX in SD and my AspX in Exphiay, no too far from the Gnosis, and armed a badass Guardian engineered Krait 34+ Ly of jump range for the expedition (what a grind!). Of course I expected problems when arriving in the Cone. In the Cone. The thing is, we actually (12 Ly) didn't even jump ! What I mean is I played an "armed Explorer"... And it was boring. Hydras just vaporized me and Marauders are really weak. Anyway, you can't be at the same time an efficient explorer and a well geared pewpewer. So MB could well have said this of going armed for exploring, but what for ? My tinfoil CondaX, even armed to the teeth, would last one minute at most in front of any alien combat ship. Now, someone could say " Keep using your badass Krait ! 34 Ly jump range is not so bad. It's what my AspX used to jump pre-Engineers". Well, yes, but times are a changin' !
Now coming back to the Bubble and my trusty AspX !
I was hoping for...something in the Cone. Something new at which I could have taken a short glance (an AW with city lights ?), just before being destroyed along the Gnosis and all the Cmdrs by an entire fleet of Thargs. The very one Salomé and Luko detected time ago. The Collective Suicide Cone Expedition as I used to call it.

Going to put for sale on ebay four near mint Guardian Gauss, a chics-grabber Javelin and a fly-killer Flak Cannon...

Last edited:
Original Post From -> https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/446114-Who-is-Gallun?highlight=Gallun

Was told to ask in here about the character Gallun from the Elite Book's,
From what I know he is mentioned a few times in the books however I don't see any information on Gallun here on the frontier forums and excessive google searches on who he was in the lore.

I have suspicion that he is someone worth to note in the quest for Raxxla or Soontil. Does anyone here have more information on which books to look at or maybe info on who he/she was?

I'm not sure. Are you certain that the character is named Gallun? Could it be that you are actually referring to Gerrun from Drew Wagar's Reclamation?

At least they gave a one week notice in Galnet.
Thargoids all over the place.

Not a big surprice, as Come sector is in the midle of Thargoid space.

Did I miss something obvious and pew-pew happening, again, in another doomed effort by a player group trying to create actual narrative and non-pew-pew things to do? <lookingForMorePopcornToGetThroughAllTheWhingingInAllThoseGnosisThreads/>

Canonn 1 - CoR 1

Just think what the game would be like if all this failed effort put into player groups was instead put into, oh, I don't know, actual missions with narrative or things to find while exploring.

Last edited:
Did I miss something obvious and pew-pew happening, again, in another doomed effort by a player group trying to create actual narrative and non-pew-pew things to do? <lookingForMorePopcornToGetThroughAllTheWhingingInAllThoseGnosisThreads/>

Canonn 1 - CoR 1

Just think what the game would be like if all this failed effort put into player groups was instead put into, oh, I don't know, actual missions with narrative or things to find while exploring.

Ah, but that would mean FD had to do some creative thinking and put effort into narrative; unfortunately I think they either never got there, or lost it a while ago. It really is a shame as ED is just so beautiful, but it is empty.

edit: perhaps they ruminated on what happened when DW did put narrative in, and the salt farming that arose, and just decided to keep their heads below the (Guardian) parapets. :rolleyes:

Noticed that this thread is in the Lore & Roleplay forum and was concerned, so googled the definition of Lore and it seems hope is not entirely lost. But still..

Noticed that this thread is in the Lore & Roleplay forum and was concerned, so googled the definition of Lore and it seems hope is not entirely lost. But still..

Yep. Thread would otherwise have to be categorized as "off-topic" which is where the conversation tends to go anyway ... not that I'm complaining.

Gallun's inheritance is a station name in Shinrata D- Which you can only get to if you have a permit from ranking as ELITE from the Pilots Federation. I thought at first, Gallun was the Gallun Z Sci Fi writer -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Z._Gallun ?He was a sci-fi writer. His big book was people minus X.

If you goto Ian Bells (former Elite partner with DB) Amazon - The one book he hason his wish list has the ISBN-10: 140200351X. Which would coordinates : 140 200 351 (minus X) or X marks the spot?

I also thought Grothendieck's Folly - was his childlike innocence which could hint at Ganymede (who was taken by zeus in the form of a large bird (like the Frontier symbol) So the question would be - What did Gallun inherit in the books?

Sorry for the diff sized fonts. Copying from notes.

Maybe if you goto the Waypoint in Sirius and point your ship at those coordinates.

Last edited:
Gallun's inheritance is a station name in Shinrata D- Which you can only get to if you have a permit from ranking as ELITE from the Pilots Federation. I thought at first, Gallun was the Gallun Z Sci Fi writer -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Z._Gallun ?He was a sci-fi writer. His big book was people minus X.

If you goto Ian Bells (former Elite partner with DB) Amazon - The one book he hason his wish list has the ISBN-10: 140200351X. Which would coordinates : 140 200 351 (minus X) or X marks the spot?

I also thought Grothendieck's Folly - was his childlike innocence which could hint at Ganymede (who was taken by zeus in the form of a large bird (like the Frontier symbol) So the question would be - What did Gallun inherit in the books?

Maybe if you goto the Waypoint in Sirius and point your ship at those coordinates.

Some good tinfoil there. However, Ian Bell's wish list changes over time - so it's unlikely that FD will tie coordinate to a single item on another person's site (even though he co-authored the game). I might be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom