I've honked at least a couple of ly out. The reported body count is still the same.

I'm about 23 hours out from supercruising to 509 for a laugh (and rule out what obviously won't work)... but also check the nav panel for nothing unusual... I suspect it might take a few days to actually be disappointed if I don't get bored and go and look down another rabbit hole... ;-)

I have honked every so often... nothing extra...

I've honked at least a couple of ly out. The reported body count is still the same.
Yeah, now you say it, that's direct confirmation of a lower limit. And so for me it's a 'can't absolutely 100% rule it out, but it's ruled out sufficiently that there's no way I'd personally be pursuing it in the absence of anything to actually suggest to do so.'. Everyone else can make their own judgements, obviously!

I'm about 23 hours out from supercruising to 509 for a laugh (and rule out what obviously won't work)... but also check the nav panel for nothing unusual... I suspect it might take a few days to actually be disappointed if I don't get bored and go and look down another rabbit hole... ;-)

Worst case scenario - you get to have a bit of fun with some extreme SC speeds, and trying to actually get close to the target marker in that situation. ;)

Keep an eye on the fuel gauge. You do run out eventually. :)

Wait!
There’s a rabbit hole??
We never looked for Raxxla there!
So we’re looking for Raxxla the Rabbit? 🐰👁

raxxla is simply not going to be something you see (or would have seen) by honking a system or the process that is current where you're sitting in supercruise and see it.

It's going to be something you'll have to drop into normal space to find. I still think putting it in a roid cluster is the most obvious choice since nobody goes to each cluster in a system ...hardly anyone goes to 1 cluster in a system. And there are options that can be used in doing this story wise that lets fdev off the hook in creating lots of crazy content around raxxla. They could have it destroyed, with only debris being found. The roid cluster itself, could be the remains. If they were smart, they wouldn't be hiding a station as that seems to cause undesguisable changes in the system on the galaxy map so whatever raxxla ends up being in the game, it's probably a place-holder ship or debris.

My vote is debris, since discovering any kind of raxxla that is intact and would otherwise be acquirable and accessible to humans would alter the entire game's narrative. I dont think fdev wants an event that derails their narrative that could happen at any time to be a possibility.

I just don’t see any ideas .... how can the gravity of the planets (G) change?
Just how sci-fi do we want to get? :D

Anyway, I think the question you're asking is how would we tell if an unshown body was taken out of one system and put in another.

The answer from me is that I don't think we would be able to. At least not unless FD manually adjusts the systems. As I understand it, after the main stars are generated (which can be essentially considered as happening in the Galmap), when the rest of the system is populated it's done by working from allowable orbits of the main stars. Consequently taking something unseen out of one of those orbits in one system and putting it into an unpopulated one in another system is unlikely to have any noticeable effects (at least in terms of being able to spot anything via consequential changes to the system config.)

Having said that it does also suggest that an unseen body of sufficient mass should be detectable by looking for its effects on the system config - e.g. a star or body orbiting a barycentre without other bodies being visible. That does necessitate a body of comparable mass to the one which is orbiting the barycentre though, so that puts some fairly strict limits on the potential applicability of the approach.

Edit - obviously a body, or bodies, orbiting apparently empty space would be a giveaway as well, but just got to be careful not to jump to conclusions when finding examples that are already accounted for, for example, by the apparent empty space being orbited actually being comets. (Comets being present in some systems but not shown.)

Last edited:
raxxla is simply not going to be something you see (or would have seen) by honking a system or the process that is current where you're sitting in supercruise and see it.
Do we actually think that Raxxla is something that can be "found" in space rather than it being a planet to land on or it being planet-side? Following the reasoning that it could be found even before Horizons, it would make sense somehow.

Then taking it from system to system probably wouldn't change gravity in those systems all that much. ;)

Just how sci-fi do we want to get? :D

Anyway, I think the question you're asking is how would we tell if an unshown body was taken out of one system and put in another.

The answer from me is that I don't think we would be able to. At least not unless FD manually adjusts the systems. As I understand it, after the main stars are generated (which can be essentially considered as happening in the Galmap), when the rest of the system is populated it's done by working from allowable orbits of the main stars. Consequently taking something unseen out of one of those orbits in one system and putting it into an unpopulated one in another system is unlikely to have any noticeable effects (at least in terms of being able to spot anything via consequential changes to the system config.)

Having said that it does also suggest that an unseen body of sufficient mass should be detectable by looking for its effects on the system config - e.g. a star or body orbiting a barycentre without other bodies being visible. That does necessitate a body of comparable mass to the one which is orbiting the barycentre though, so that puts some fairly strict limits on the potential applicability of the approach.

Edit - obviously a body, or bodies, orbiting apparently empty space would be a giveaway as well, but just got to be careful not to jump to conclusions when finding examples that are already accounted for, for example, by the apparent empty space being orbited actually being comets. (Comets being present in some systems but not shown.)
Not certainly in that way)
the question is how to determine whether a celestial body passed through a system. that is, how could a celestial body affect the system after the celestial body left the system?

Not certainly in that way)
the question is how to determine whether a celestial body passed through a system. that is, how could a celestial body affect the system after the celestial body left the system?
Well if a celestial body has left the system, then it's no longer effecting the system. So that means looking for changes that happened due to when it was in the system.

Which means looking at how that could be detected in terms of how the Stellar Forge works.

Key question is when. Essentially, the Stellar Forge sims up the system to a day 0 (which is round about 3300 IIRC), then fast forwards the orbits from day 0 to the current game date to get the system at the point of entry.

AFAIK, the random events part is in the 'sim up to day 0' part and doesn't factor into the second part. (That's just my understanding of it though, and I don't have an explicit statement from FD saying that.)

So in that context you're looking for unusual orbits and things like that. Not sure off the top of my head quite how you would distinguish the effects of a rogue body from other possible causes. Captured rogue bodies can potentially be tentatively identified by having elements which are absent in the rest of the system (or at odds with where they theoretically should be in the system).

Do we actually think that Raxxla is something that can be "found" in space rather than it being a planet to land on or it being planet-side? Following the reasoning that it could be found even before Horizons, it would make sense somehow.

Then taking it from system to system probably wouldn't change gravity in those systems all that much. ;)

Whether it is on a planet or not has nothing to do with horizons.. you wouldn't need to interact with it to discover it.

Also, any conclusion that leaves raxxla intact requires a lot of changes and content from fdev... Which doesn't seem like a logical option for them... So it is most likely something that can be discovered but no longer a factor in the game universe.

Well if a celestial body has left the system, then it's no longer effecting the system. So that means looking for changes that happened due to when it was in the system.

Which means looking at how that could be detected in terms of how the Stellar Forge works.

Key question is when. Essentially, the Stellar Forge sims up the system to a day 0 (which is round about 3300 IIRC), then fast forwards the orbits from day 0 to the current game date to get the system at the point of entry.

AFAIK, the random events part is in the 'sim up to day 0' part and doesn't factor into the second part. (That's just my understanding of it though, and I don't have an explicit statement from FD saying that.)

So in that context you're looking for unusual orbits and things like that. Not sure off the top of my head quite how you would distinguish the effects of a rogue body from other possible causes. Captured rogue bodies can potentially be tentatively identified by having elements which are absent in the rest of the system (or at odds with where they theoretically should be in the system).
I think your thoughts regarding random events being prior to day 0 MUST be correct, because after day 0, I can't see how the algorithm could garuntee we all get the same system at the same time.

I read a really insightful post into rogue planets a few days ago, but I cant find it now. IIRC, the best way to determine if a planet is not just to look for eccentric orbit, but also to look at the planets type and composition.

If you have a HMC world further out than the gas giants, its probably rogue. If a planet in the outer system, has an eccentric orbit, look at its composition. If a high percentage of its materials are not found elsewhere in the system, its probably rogue.

This is a really, really, really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways. Has anyone ever tried supercruising into a permit locked system?

I really doubt it would actually do anything, since mechanics for taking over your ship and moving you back into the accepting boundaries exist in the game (like in tutorials and certain areas of outposts like restricted docking zones), but do we know for sure that it stops you? Obviously, this would take a long-ass time, but I just wonder what would happen.

EDIT: Nevermind, just looked it up and it seems like the system just wouldn't load if you flew there, which seems obvious in restrospect, considering that the jumps are basically loading screens.

Back
Top Bottom