dunno, i left the wing the guy mentions (i colored it out out of respect for him and the remaining members of the dying or dead wing) before they got added to the canonn chat. that being said, the other name i crossed out (despite being a really crabby person) is credible in my eyes. an admin on one of the main ED Facebook groups. If i can weasle any more info out of my source i will. He was my mentor when i first started flying, nearly 4500 in game hours ago, and knows more about xenobiology and lore than any other commander ive come across. I'd say that i have a pretty solid grasp on the lore myself, but Raxxla always has been a mystery. The tales i heard abiout Raxxla early into my ED career honestly kept me coming back. never been much of an explorer, but im slowly building an explorconda and when she's done i will actively join the search. until then i just keep an ear/eye out for any scrap i can find, and this tidbit he told him got me hot again.

This is what Raxxla or the Omphalos Rift may look like, based on the thumbnail displayed in the Codex.

Good work.

My final opinion is that the Raxxla symbol depicts very long hexagonal segmented prism that is either portal (artificial wormhole)
or a tunnel into Dyson sphere (some details hints the later one).
Dotted inner hexagon depicts one of the many stages (tunnel parts). Dot in the middle hints height.
In simple words - imagine standing in a lift, you are going down while looking at the glass floor.

There is some math behind but it is irrelevant for the story.

Last edited:
Raxxla

The idea that Raxxla is an alien construct wouldnt surprise me if it turns out to be true. What is interesting though is the fact that not a single one of us has found Raxxla. Its the 34th century and somehow with all the modern tech we havent found it yet... But somehow circa 23 century raxxla was found. You have to ask yourself why that is. Could that be because everyone is so quick to leave the bubble? Everything moves so fast now and noone slows down anymore. When is the last time you've spent some serious time scouring planet surfaces in Sol? I am willing to bet almost every single one of us has spent more time searching for barnacles than we've spent in sol.

Last edited:
The idea that Raxxla is an alien construct wouldnt surprise me if it turns out to be true. What is interesting though is the fact that not a single one of us has found Raxxla. Its the 34th century and somehow with all the modern tech we havent found it yet... But somehow circa 23 century raxxla was found. You have to ask yourself why that is. Could that be because everyone is so quick to leave the bubble? Everything moves so fast now and noone slows down anymore. When is the last time you've spent some serious time scouring planet surfaces in Sol? I am willing to be almost every single one of us has spent more time searching for barnacles than we've spent in sol.

I mean... There was an alien device/object found on Mars. It didn't just pop out of nowhere. Someone was obviously in Sol before humanity had the technology to notice. We found 1 barnacle, then another... then another.. then another... Same with Guardian sites, and brain trees, and anomalies, and ELW, and everything else... Yet there has only been 1 alien device/object found in sol and because it was found in the 23rd century we just forget about it. Hell there is even a beacon saying "Hey guys... Look over here".

Last edited:
I've been taking a break from ED for the last two weeks or so but haven't stopped reading this thread or thinking about Raxxla. My thinking has been changing a little, mostly due to alternative interpretations of the Alleged Toast of The Dark Wheel. Apologies for the long explanations but here's the TL; DR:
1: I believe there is potentially another POI related to Raxxla, maybe even two (one close to the Bubble, the other very remote).
2: I believe that at least one past member of The Dark Wheel found Raxxla but used the Alleged Toast to promote the mystery, rather than give an exact location. Whether The Dark Wheel knows, or is able to reach, Raxxla's location themselves is uncertain but it may be a dangerous, risky journey.
I'm assuming that the essence of what was in The Dark Wheel novella is still canon. Risky, certainly, but with so little known I am loath to dismiss it entirely.
My thoughts often go back to what was said in the The Dark Wheel by Robert Holdstock. The key details are 1) that Jason Ryder claimed (according to Rafe Zetter) to have found evidence for the real existence of Raxxla and 2) that Jason Ryder wanted to put an expedition together to find it. This means that he did not find Raxxla himself, despite having encountered that evidence, so the evidence either did not give a sufficiently accurate location for him to find it solo or reaching it was likely to be so difficult that a group effort was required. The evidence that Jason Ryder found would have to be close enough to the Bubble for him to have located it in his souped-up Cobra MkIII. This evidence is something that might be in-game.
I have been thinking more about the nature of Raxxla, both from an in-Universe and meta perspective. What DJ Truthsayer said in the recent livestream with Obsidian Ant about only David Braben, Michael Brookes, one 3D person and one sound person tells me that Raxxla is a custom asset, or includes custom assets as part of the mystery, and that Raxxla, or those parts of the mystery that use the custom assets, are probably in a POI, like the Zurara. Thinking about how to make Raxxla impressive, both in lore and in the game, I have been increasingly of the view that it is a two-way wormhole or gate to a distant location. From this perspective, I can see two possibilities: 1) that the 'far side' can only be reached from the near side, either because it is permit-locked or in an unreachable location and 2) that the 'far side' can be reached independently of the 'near side' but is a long journey, albeit granting the possibility of reaching the 'near side' without needing to solve whatever problems/clues lead to that location. This may mean that the 'far side' can be found more easily! From the wording of the Alleged Toast, I can believe that the two sentences that begin with 'To the...' might be referring to the two sides of the gateway. One side would then be 'the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies' and the other 'the siren of the deepest void'. One of the FD-named regions of the Milky Way is 'The Void'. It is possible that this distant region could harbour the 'far side' of the gateway, allowing quick access to a system that is special in some way, and certainly allowing for faster travel to and ease of exploitation of that region. There is also another possibility, based upon something Michael Brookes once said on a livestream with Ed Lewis a long time ago, about the view of the Milky Way being spectacular from distant star clusters. It is possible that the 'far side' could be in one of these clusters, providing a spectacular view and access to an otherwise unreachable star cluster. (There really are stars in ED way outside the Galactic Plane but unless you know their names you cannot zoom out far enough to select them and even if you do know their names, the camera does not stay on them for long).
Thinking about the Alleged Toast, it is important to remember that it is Alleged, and should be treated with some caution. Finding The Dark Wheel station will hopefully clear up whether it is accurate. If it is accurate, the implication is that someone in The Dark Wheel is giving out clues to Raxxla, or at least keeping the other members thinking about it. It seems unlikely that anyone would want to give away an exact location in a toast ('To systemname ab-c a100' would be rather dry language!) but rather promote mystery. It does imply that something is or was know about Raxxla's location, even if no one who made it there ever returned to confirm it. If Elite pilots are not returning, though, I wonder how dangerous it might be!
When I once more feel like playing ED (probably not long, having been playing other games they seem shallow in comparison) I will want to test these ideas. One thing I can do is visit The Void and look for the brightest stars or other standout systems - it is quite desolate so Wolf-Rayet and O type stars will stand out, as will supergiants/giants. Another is to try and guess where Jason Ryder might have found his evidence. He seems to have been based around Tionisla or the Old Worlds, so perhaps searching 'up' from the Galactic Plane might yield something, although how he found the evidence is another matter - the question of where he might have been looking requires more thought, yet.
FWIW, I suspect The Dark Wheel requires its members to be triple Elite but that does not automatically mean that one needs to be triple Elite in order to find Raxxla. I doubt superpower rank is required for either (and at the start of the game, the top ranks were Post Commander and Marquis, iirc, so the current max rank ought not to be required if it was).

Just my opinion and, honestly based on little evidence. If you’re going to the void, which I’ve considered myself so who knows I might bump into you, I’d think looking specifically for triple star systems may be of help. The reason being if we look at TDW symbol, and use the center to line up with the Core region (they’re the same shape) the three orbs seem to be in the void region. I figure the three orbs might be three stars.

I mean... There was an alien device/object found on Mars. It didn't just pop out of nowhere. Someone was obviously in Sol before humanity had the technology to notice. We found 1 barnacle, then another... then another.. then another... Same with Guardian sites, and brain trees, and anomalies, and ELW, and everything else... Yet there has only been 1 alien device/object found in sol and because it was found in the 23rd century we just forget about it. Hell there is even a beacon saying "Hey guys... Look over here".
When you say 'we' here... who's the 'we'?

And how sure are you that there's actually only been the 1?

My Paint says TDW symbol form the Codex has 3 triangles - north, center, bottom.

I hereby express my enormous rage because an artist misaligned right part of guardian key drop-point for 20 pixels to the left, to inadvertently delude us from figuring out Pilots Federation manipulations over mankind by using Raxxla future tech from the past!

[weird]

Last edited:
Has anyone maxed out rep with these guys? They are a bit suspicious! I don't have a combat ship and I haven't gotten many donation missions from them yet.

So yeah this was months ago but I was just catching up.

FWIW, yes, I have. Me and a few friends holed up at Ray for a couple months and hunted the crap out of pirates down there. Nothing useful came of it with regard to Raxxla.

Just my opinion and, honestly based on little evidence. If you’re going to the void, which I’ve considered myself so who knows I might bump into you, I’d think looking specifically for triple star systems may be of help. The reason being if we look at TDW symbol, and use the center to line up with the Core region (they’re the same shape) the three orbs seem to be in the void region. I figure the three orbs might be three stars.
I will also look out for systems with six barycentric stars, especially if they have only one planet orbiting all of them, as I think it's possible the Raxxla symbol may be the description of a system in Guardian format. Sadly my post here ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rch-Division?p=7328463&viewfull=1#post7328463 ) failed to get a confirmation, so I might have misinterpreted it.
I won't be setting out just yet and am likely to stop by Colonia on my way out there, maybe this weekend or next. Depending on which ship I use (Python, AspX or DBX) I may also need to do some minor engineering.

I will also look out for systems with six barycentric stars, especially if they have only one planet orbiting all of them, as I think it's possible the Raxxla symbol may be the description of a system in Guardian format. Sadly my post here ( https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...rch-Division?p=7328463&viewfull=1#post7328463 ) failed to get a confirmation, so I might have misinterpreted it.
I won't be setting out just yet and am likely to stop by Colonia on my way out there, maybe this weekend or next. Depending on which ship I use (Python, AspX or DBX) I may also need to do some minor engineering.

You mean like this? https://earthsky.org/brightest-stars/best-castor-brightest-second-magnitude-star

Sounds fishy. How can a station orbit the dark side of a moon that orbits a gas giant?

The gas giant is not a light source. You would need a very peculiar set of orbital resonances to keep the station in eternal shadow form the moon.

The station in the codex would be brightly lit by the red star. It also looks to close to the star to fit a gas giant, in addition to the moon in the picture. I don't think the picture is of the actual Dark Wheel station. At least if the eight moon thing is true.

I cant do astrophysics math but my guess is something to do with tide locking. Like if the moon is tide locked to the gas giant and its orbit is slow enough, it would always be on the dark side.

Also if this is true that it doesnt show up in things like the Full System Scanner even when close, then if anyone is using shader fixes for whatever reason they need to delete this one:

e29d91120fc28c8e-ps_replace.txt

Because that shader fix removes the glowing orbs of ships/stations.

My assumption is that the FSS can detect it like it could detect the Zurara. Although with the Zurara I wasnt able to scan it from afar for some reason I had to get much closer to the planet for the scan to work, but maybe the scanner was bugged or I didnt have the view I thought I had.

Scytale

Banned
Blimey. I'd forgotten about that. ;) It's been a long road, getting from there.... ahem.

Yes. When I put Raxxla in those fan novels I was trying to figure out a way to have Raxxla be a portal and a planet (as per description in the Dark Wheel) which had somehow not been found despite decades of searching. I figured it had to be meta-physical in some manner, hence the wierdness/witchspace implementation in Mutabilis. I'd do it differently now (not that I have anything to do with Raxxla in ED I hasten to add), but that sort of slightly ethereal, magical, otherworldness struck me as quite a good way of realising Raxxla.

Oolite was true to the original game Elite, where we had different 'galaxies', galactic hyperspace and other conventions now long abandoned by ED. Whatever they do with Raxxla in ED, it will be different.

I hope they come up with something compelling, but, whatever they do, it's going to be very very tough to make it live up to 30+ years of expectation and also makes it more than one person going "here it is" and everyone else watching it on Youtube. Tough one.

Cheers,

Drew.

Hi and thanks, Drew, for the explaination. As you very well know, many of us fans of the Elite lore are always starving for any of your comments and guidances.
I understand pretty well that messing with space-time in a "relativestic" context would be quite a slippery ground in a game like ED. That's why, I guess, even light is faster than light in ED.
Nevertheless, I hope Raxxla will turn out to involve something more exotic and exciting than, let's say, a very human stranded ship or a Bilderberg Club - like organisation. We already have that IRL...
At least, it's what the disappeared fine E/F missions seemed to be pointing at. People knew what they were doing, then.
(Happy past times, when there was a consistent story told in ED, and Btw, I am still wondering how the Witch's Seven Veils actually managed to evade my interdiction a certain 29th... Overwhelming pilot's skill or witch-trick?) ;)

Last edited:
Probably nothing but I was going through (on the galmap) the stars of Cassiopeia. Rho Cassiopeia is a G Class White Yellow Super Giant. It is logged in EDSM as a G class white yellow super giant. Seen posts from people who have made the jumps to it and say it’s a G class white yellow super giant. BUT, now, according to the galmap, Rho Cassiopeia is now an F Class White Supergiant. ?????

Probably nothing but I was going through (on the galmap) the stars of Cassiopeia. Rho Cassiopeia is a G Class White Yellow Super Giant. It is logged in EDSM as a G class white yellow super giant. Seen posts from people who have made the jumps to it and say it’s a G class white yellow super giant. BUT, now, according to the galmap, Rho Cassiopeia is now an F Class White Supergiant. ?????

I was just there, first star I ever went to that required use of jumponium in/out of so spent a bit of time in the system. Theres a landable planet and a fantastic view that far out/down in the galactic plane, but thats all I found.

G'day CMDRs,I've been catching up on this thread but I was hoping someone could bring me up to speed, as the thread is pretty big. Direct message if you don't want to clog up the thread, but essentially I'm doing more exploration than anything else these days and have always eye'd off this Raxxla thread from afar. What I'd simply like is a breakdown of were we're at with finding Raxxla, to help direct me on where to explore. Is there a certain, I don't know, navigational direction from the bubble, or sector that hints have lead to that I could follow to whatever is the current theory? I just figure as I learn a bit more about Raxxla, I would like to include it as part of my exploration

whatever IT is, it can probably only be found on February 29th. Don't ask me why, I just had this moment of enlightenment.
Luckily we have one coming next year :)

Last edited:
G'day CMDRs,I've been catching up on this thread but I was hoping someone could bring me up to speed, as the thread is pretty big. Direct message if you don't want to clog up the thread, but essentially I'm doing more exploration than anything else these days and have always eye'd off this Raxxla thread from afar. What I'd simply like is a breakdown of were we're at with finding Raxxla, to help direct me on where to explore. Is there a certain, I don't know, navigational direction from the bubble, or sector that hints have lead to that I could follow to whatever is the current theory? I just figure as I learn a bit more about Raxxla, I would like to include it as part of my exploration

1) there are no clues
1a). (Codex entries for Dark Wheel & Raxxla appear to be more fd misdirection, but some have faith that they are clues)
2) there is much speculation
2a) (there is also much mythology)
3) there are as many hypotheses as players
4) actually there are probably more hypotheses than players
5) there is no concensus on any hypothesis or set thereof

Good luck in your Quest. Let us know if you find anything! :)

PS. We are always happy to discuss hypotheses!
PPS. We are even happier when someone presents some evidence! :D

Last edited:
Adding to Jorki's excellent summary - all facts are on the first page. In actuality all facts are in the first paragraphs, now that the Dark Wheel missions have vanished.

Welcome to the quest - at least the beer is good even if it is served in tinfoil mugs :)

YB

Last edited:
Top Bottom