The Silly Ships Expedition

Should the Fed Corvette be allowed on this expedition?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
glad you're back Agony_Aunt, we need our most silly leader ;)

btw. for some racing in slf and srv; i found a nice little moon with canyons and icy poles @ Flyua Dryoae OO-X d2-25 1 a:
1MXuko1.jpg
or this one; @ Col 132 Sector MH-U d3-3 2 a:
P41hnvI.png

EBOZhAf.jpg

Sabbatical over, I'm feeling refreshed after taking the week off to go trading and after a quick Buckyball race in my Vulture, Schättenjäger, I decided to bring her along for the rest of the expedition instead of my DBS, so I can have both a SRV and a shield. I'm back in the meet-up system now.
What kinds of planets/moons would be best for SRV racing? Is gravity the main consideration, or is it having a clear course of the right length? What about the view (e.g. in close orbit of another body, very near to a star)?

Sabbatical over, I'm feeling refreshed after taking the week off to go trading and after a quick Buckyball race in my Vulture, Schättenjäger, I decided to bring her along for the rest of the expedition instead of my DBS, so I can have both a SRV and a shield. I'm back in the meet-up system now.
What kinds of planets/moons would be best for SRV racing? Is gravity the main consideration, or is it having a clear course of the right length? What about the view (e.g. in close orbit of another body, very near to a star)?

Low gravity can be fun, plenty of room then for silly stunts. Plus its the tiny planets that have the best canyons for canyon runs. Or would could do mountiain climibing... or descending... quickest to the bottom without exploding!

My racing SRV/SLF location proposal, mere 20Ly from basecamp:
Plio Eurl SB-W B15-3 B1

SLF track: navigated this thing with my fat FDS, managed to loose a cool 40% hull in total. Great fun none the less:
zH58lQu.png

SRV track: shallow path slowly digging deeper, getting faster/steeper and trickier to navigate, only to quicly drop to deep valley level (on the left). Really cool and tricky drive on, with the low gravity and all. Great finish!
18HFrDR.png

Edit: Some more pics on Imgur link on top.

Last edited:
I've spent the morning searching for interesting terrain for SRV racing and my leading candidate worlds are Plio Eurl BF-R d4-37 A2a and A3a. Both have plenty of potentially suitable canyons but it's hard to know which would be best, as you are spoilt for choice! One other possibility for A3a might be a peak-to-peak mountain race: at about -54.7/91.7 there's a pyramid-topped mountain 10km tall and on a heading of about 320 there's a slightly smaller peak with a valley in between, which might make for an interesting race course, i.e. get down quickly but in one piece as you have to then find a quick way up the next one. I'm about to have dinner but can post a couple of screenshots later this afternoon, hopefully.
EDIT: images of the mountain on A3a (I think I got the right bit of the surface in the map view: it's hard to be sure - that was the part I was aiming for when approaching from OC)

Last edited:
Had a look at the locations, but it does not seem as nice as the other options.

I did find this nice mountain ridge though (Flyua Dryoae JM-V a29-0 4 d coordinates 1.5671, 3.9855), may have potential. It's about 800m wide and 1500m high. Left side can be climbed with an SRV, but not straight up (check radar in the second image). Surface is almost completely flat, so straight down should be possible with impressive speed. Did not want to go back to the bubble for a new SRV, so I did not try to set a new SRV speed record and I did not try the right side...

V5cqraX.png

3Wln6IY.png

Last edited:
SRV race time!

So...

Where do I show up this evening?

Aye, t'is a good question. So candidates are:

1. Zefod's Potato moon:
    glad you're back Agony_Aunt, we need our most silly leader ;)
    btw. for some racing in slf and srv; i found a nice little moon with canyons and icy poles @ Flyua Dryoae OO-X d2-25 1 a:
    or this one; @ Col 132 Sector MH-U d3-3 2 a:
  2. Jantah's 'sheer drop' canyon:
    I think I found a few good candidates.

http://i.imgur.com/W44omIN.png

Steep enough? :D
    http://i.imgur.com/WfblbFj.png

I also found a pink moon with green canyons and white mountain tops. Tidally locked very close to another moon with canyons. I'll see if I can have another look today.
  3. il-Vec's Plunging canyon-track:
    My racing SRV/SLF location proposal, mere 20Ly from basecamp:
    Plio Eurl SB-W B15-3 B1

SRV track: shallow path slowly digging deeper, getting faster/steeper and trickier to navigate, only to quicly drop to deep valley level (on the left). Really cool and tricky drive on, with the low gravity and all. Great finish!

Edit: Some more pics on Imgur link on top.
  4. Edelgard von Rhein's peak-to-peak rally:
    I've spent the morning searching for interesting terrain for SRV racing and my leading candidate worlds are Plio Eurl BF-R d4-37 A2a and A3a. Both have plenty of potentially suitable canyons but it's hard to know which would be best, as you are spoilt for choice! One other possibility for A3a might be a peak-to-peak mountain race: at about -54.7/91.7 there's a pyramid-topped mountain 10km tall and on a heading of about 320 there's a slightly smaller peak with a valley in between, which might make for an interesting race course, i.e. get down quickly but in one piece as you have to then find a quick way up the next one. I'm about to have dinner but can post a couple of screenshots later this afternoon, hopefully.
    EDIT: images of the mountain on A3a (I think I got the right bit of the surface in the map view: it's hard to be sure - that was the part I was aiming for when approaching from OC)
  5. Jantah's 'don't-blody-drop-off' ridge:
    Had a look at the locations, but it does not seem as nice as the other options.

I did find this nice mountain ridge though (Plio Eurl KF-Y b14-1 4 d coordinates 1.5671, 3.9855), may have potential. It's about 800m wide and 1500m high. Left side can be climbed with an SRV, but not straight up (check radar in the second image). Surface is almost completely flat, so straight down should be possible with impressive speed. Did not want to go back to the bubble for a new SRV, so I did not try to set a new SRV speed record and I did not try the right side...

So who's gonna be there? (wherever that is)
I'll vote first, and I propose voting only on locations proposed by others (thus not on your own!):
My money is on number 4 or alternatively number 1.

Back in game now; I'll vote 5. Only got one SRV left so it's all or nothin' :D

Also regarding SLF racing, I reckon my FAS qualifies for this - it can be an SLF...from a Farragut. :p

Top Bottom