The Silly Ships Expedition

Should the Fed Corvette be allowed on this expedition?

• Yes

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
this will be our final event before everybody continues silly on his or her own!

7 PM orb football
Flyua Dryoae TU-V d3-35 A 1, Latitude:24°N 21'49", Longitude:105°E 50'0", 1.04 G

~8.30 PM ad hoc srv race (and maybe srv shootout?)

~ 9.30 PM final photoshooting in the rings around our base planet

whether you can spend the whole evening being silly, or just jump in for any activity, get together for a final!

I'm afraid I can't make this weekend's events, haven't made any of this week's for that matter...I might be able to make tonight's SLF get together if it happens but I'd only be a spectator anyway, as my Viper doesn't have room for any fighters. I could possibly follow the action and film it though.

Anyone have any recommendations regarding video editing software? Tried a couple of REALLY buggy ones, the results were absolute crap (video/sound cutting out, etc.).

Afraid I can't help there but I could also do with suggestions...I tried last night but all I've got loaded is MS Movie Maker, which didn't get me very far, I might just end up uploading the videos I've got of the initial base came meet-up in full, unedited form.

Last edited:
Are those of you with fighters interested about a SLF canyon-race and a shoot-out (maybe)?

as i don't have a slf - we need a location, we need a host.

please shout out whether you want attend, and post locations!

SLF Race
Friday, 3rd of March - 7 PM

I'm up for this ^.

Can't make Saturday's finale though :(

this will be our final event before everybody continues silly on his or her own!

7 PM orb football
Flyua Dryoae TU-V d3-35 A 1, Latitude:24°N 21'49", Longitude:105°E 50'0", 1.04 G

~8.30 PM ad hoc srv race (and maybe srv shootout?)

~ 9.30 PM final photoshooting in the rings around our base planet

whether you can spend the whole evening being silly, or just jump in for any activity, get together for a final!

Still have to tag my plant (look like it might actually be a terraformable or WW ;-) ). I can also make the final event - looking forward to it! Can't do the SLF one unless the FAS can get recategorised as an SLF by one of the mods :D

Made the trip out to tag "my" silly planet

so!

- you'll find the system map stickied in discord. if you don't have access to discord, please PM me

- i have calculated the bodies volumes in our elected system; after that i calculated the volumes of the ships used, and remapped the relations of ship volume to those of body volume.... the sidey has the smallest planet, our largest body has 152 times the volume of the smalles, while a t9 has 284 times the volume of a sidey

- i assigned the bodies according to ships you have signed up with .... some (like me) changed ships, but that was not taken in account

- if i have missed someone, please PM me - best on discord!

Thanks Goemon, that sounds like way more work than we expected of you when you said you'd assign the planets according to ship size - +1 rep well deserved.

Made the trip out tonight to tag "my" planet in the silly system and just had to land Silly Ships style!
RrmB8e5.jpg

That blue down there almost looks like it could be a river but I took my ship down there and its frozen solid, still looks very nice :)
KfkPBqs.jpg

Can't make the weekend's final events, so will start a slow trek back to the bubble next week, its been fun all and many thanks to Agony Aunt and Goemon for organising it all.

DogsBody.

My thanks to Agony Aunt and Goeman for being the organisers of this expedition. As it was the first one I had been on I had no idea what to expect but I had a blast. Thanks to all the participates, you're a great bunch of people and made the trip a fun time. I won't be taking part in the final weekend, someone else can blow up a SRV in a race and the Mk. IV doesn't have a SLF. I headed back to the bubble after tagging my moon and I'm doing my day job.

Thanks for a great time all.
o7

Hopefully I'll get chance to join in tonight, but if not I'll say many thanks to those who organised this crazy adventure, and to those I've met along the way[noob]

I would like to take this chance to thank everyone who made this event so much fun. This was my first foray into organized expeditions, and what a great first taste it was. Even though I wasn't able to join the events of this week (aside from the photo shoot) I had a few weeks of fun all around. I cannot remember a moment in Elite where I laughed so much as I did during every meeting.

Special thanks go out to CMDR Agony Aunt for thinking up this silly idea, organizing the start and finding a great if deceptively deadly meeting point.
CMDR Goemon also receives special mention for taking up the organization for the later events and the unbelievably complex and awesome method of assigning each member his planet in our shared system.
And last, but by no means least I want to personally thank CMDR John Fry for the fun we had inbetween the events and for being such a great sport, that even after losing his FDL twice, he immediately jumped back into another ship and was back at the meeting point not even 2 hours later.

So to put an end to that wall o' text, I want to thank everyone who participated to make this such a silly but fun event. Thanks guys.

Yes, this has been a great expedition. Many thanks to all involved!

Here's the highlight of my view from the final jump, featuring the Cobra and Orca collision:
https://gfycat.com/LikableCraftyFattaileddunnart

Also got a clip of Alien Hunter's SRV taking a small rock to the face:
https://gfycat.com/AgedDazzlingHypacrosaurus

And now five of my favourite screenshots from this evening:

Gathering after the SRV race
NIOXl8F.jpg

Alien Hunter does love a three gun salute:
xyOPBvk.jpg

Agony Aunt deploying his fighter:
CJQus7t.jpg

Group shot, just managing to fit the Hauler in there:
zUOcloZ.jpg

A wild Keelback appears!:
wTWPtuE.jpg

Now to get back and turn in that data and see how our Silliest System turns out!

Sorry I missed yesterday guy, spent most of the day in bed coming down with some sort of annoying bug :-(

Just like to take the chance to thank everyone involved in the event, and especially Agony Aunt who came up with the Silly idea in the first place and organisation and Goemon for helping out with the event organisation. Hope to see you all out in the black sometime.

Now to tag my planet, and get back to *s* civilisation.

Fly safe everyone!

Sorry I missed the final meetup. Honestly I haven't had much time to play at all this week. It was a great expedition though, and a whole lot of fun!

Guess I'll fly my way back now and work on unlocking some engineers for 2.3, lol!

Sorry i missed the meetup, had to spend time in the pub sampling 42 Belgian beers [wacky]
looks like you had great fun too :)

Cya around on the trip back to the bubbles!

Last edited:
Thanks to all silly participants!

This was fun, hilarious and exciting at the same time:
Feeling like a naughty kid, being scanned by the police at the departure
Jumping into completely different directions and against each other
Breaking my "Ly below the plane" record
Breaking my "distance to Sol" record
Meeting two silly countrymen, ~1700Ly from home.
Interfacing my Hauler with an FDL
Landing upside down, not intentionally in my case
Blowing up my SRV and doing a 2h roundtrip to get a fresh one
A group SRV tumble down a cliff
Just making it to the final photoshoot
Inching my tiny shieldless Hauler next to some enormous ships in a "less than serious" atmosphere
Jumping away after the final photoshoot without checking the fuel level
Discovering that the tank is virtually empty
Finding out that I jumped to a scoopable star by incident

Special thanks to Agony_Aunt and Goemon for putting it all together and keeping method to the madness! [up] [up] [up]

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for participating. Some good times were had. Now for the voyage home and catch up on other things. In other news, 4 weeks with Princess bubblegum is almost up, time to get me some Prismatics! :D

Maan, couldn't make it last saturday...! :(

On top of that it seems I'm all out of rep to hand out, so a virtual +10 to everyone.
Special thanks to Agony and Goemon for carrying the thing on their shoulders!

Now to tag that silly planet and get back home to Yakabugai...

EDIT: slight issue. The expedition's channel is gone on discord, and with it the name of the silliest system... Anyone care to share via PM? Or maybe some other form, to be available for future reference...

Last edited:
Made it back today. Got a few million in data and tagged quite a few waterworlds and an earthlike on my journey. Quite happy with the result. Just a shame i didn't have a DSS, so missed out on quite a bit of money there.

Top Bottom