The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
In the last 12 - 18 months, there has been progress, but it is painfully slow.

In that time of the top of my head

• there are 2 more atmospheric planets and several moons
  • a bunch of small space stations through out the system
  • implemented mining
  • one of the core client side techs they needed to improve client performance. performance is now bottle necked server side. a decent computer can now get decent frames if the server isn't taking a dump (client side object container streaming)
  • several ships put in game
  • pvp bounty hunting is back
  • pvp missions. player A takes a mission, player B can get a mission to stop player A.
  • redid the flight model. it is a lot more like elite now.
The next important thing they need to do is the server tech to improve server performance. Maybe the beginning of it the end of this year. But they have kept it off their roadmap.

It is the "game" I end up playing the most. In one patch the had a high reward/high risk set up running drugs. Same patch as the improved client performance. That was a ton of fun for unscripted pvp in ships and on the ground.

And depending on you level of masochism, you can see most everything here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen
Two questions: How's the flight model compared to FA Off in ED, and what's the PvP like?

The next important thing they need to do is the server tech to improve server performance. Maybe the beginning of it the end of this year. But they have kept it off their roadmap.

Judging by what they have already put on-wire - they can never achieve that. The current implementation cannot be "fixed" to any meaningful degree - and any amount of "never been done before SSOCS" isn't going to help them one iota. The architecture needs a complete rewrite. Ci-G simply don't have the socket slingers to achieve it, and the ones they did have - were all fired or quit years ago.

Two questions: How's the flight model compared to FA Off in ED, and what's the PvP like?

So there is always a base level of jankiness. So it can be hit or miss. When it is working well it is a good bit of fun.

SC has a mode called decoupled which is similar to FA Off in ED. It is different in that you are only "newtonian" on the directional axes so if you are going forward/back/left/right/up/down you have to apply counter thrust to change direction. With no input you continue in whatever direction you are headed in.

Rotational axes are still dampened. Roll/Yaw/Pitch, if you remove the input on any rotation, you stop rotating. It is much easier than FA Off in ED. I almost always fly decoupled in SC. Even with joysticks it is easy. Not like having to go relative mouse in ED to be really effective.

I do like actually being able to yaw in SC. Makes going back to ED feel awkward.

There are so much different kinds of PVP. Griefy boi, 1v1, wing, mission, ground fps....

In this latest patch where the flight model got more like ED, they also made getting to top speed much easier. It used to be two different modes, but now it is all the same and you just accelerate to your top speed. Ships in SC are much faster, 1200 m/s would be a normal top speed for a combat ship.

The downside is you get people doing strafing/jousting runs or whatever and they blow past you at 1000 m/s and then drift out 5000 meters because they can't stop. This is impossibly boring. Can also get into big circle strafe situations, which also less fun.

SC also just added auto aim gimbals like ED gimbals. At this point they have no counter like chaff in ED. So that is really annoying. I have not really been using them because I am hoping they get some sort of counter / balance. Hard to say if they are really that effective, but they make people who were awful at least competitive.

If people stay in close and fight it is much more enjoyable.

This is me getting my butt whipped by Sundae from SDC. And what it looks like when two people stay close in:

Fight in close

So this is a griefy boi, jousting and jankiness example. Through out the video you can see stuff skipping around, the aim pip bouncing all over the place. At 3:25 after the big ship blows up, his buddy starts to engage me, but is zooming insanely far past me.

Big ship boom and the zoomy boy

And then this, if you want to be a good boy, I've picked up a player bounty. If you are a criminal, other players can pick up your bounty and track your location. This guy is just finishing a drug running mission when I show up.

Just say no to drugs

EDIT: Just realized two of those videos are planet side with atmosphere. The ships handle quite a bit different in atmo as well.

Last edited:
Sorry to be pedantic, but an "infinite acceleration" would mean the ship instantly disappears off the screen, to some undefined infinite distance. The same goes for "infinite instant amounts of power".
No.
Acceleration is the derivative of speed over time. Infinite acceleration is the result of no 2nd order movement, in this case instant (dt=0) change of direction. Since acceleration is dv/dt, i'll let you determine what is the result of that equation with dt=0...
And then to perform these accelerations, manoeuver thrusters would need infinite, instantly available power.
Even if we reduce dt to very, very small values, this makes for nuclear explosion levels of power of each manoeuver thruster, which at least should do more than just the small blowtorch effect we see at the moment (not to mention they wont activate visually). This can be very obviously seen on small fighters, at slower speeds they move like one dragging assets around in a 3D editor. Take off for example, stop, the ship stops moving instantly.

For reference, mav thrusters done correctly could be seen in Elite II Frontier. Go and check that out.

Last edited:
The downside is you get people doing strafing/jousting runs or whatever and they blow past you at 1000 m/s and then drift out 5000 meters because they can't stop. This is impossibly boring. Can also get into big circle strafe situations, which also less fun.

This is basically a newbie mistake that going maximum speed is the thing to do.

They go max speed and do not regulate their thrust depending on situation and just blow past you.

I guess there is not that much one can do in those situations except use it to ones advantage...and lure one of those rocketheads into the path of an asteroid. :ROFLMAO:

In real life situations you will almost always be looking at dt as it approaches 0 because you want to see what the acceleration is at a particular instance in time. Most things are not going to have exactly constant acceleration rates over time.

No.
Acceleration is the derivative of speed over time. Infinite acceleration is the result of no 2nd order movement, in this case instant (dt=0) change of direction. Since acceleration is dv/dt, i'll let you determine what is the result of that equation with dt=0...
And then to perform these accelerations, manoeuver thrusters would need infinite, instantly available power.
Even if we reduce dt to very, very small values, this makes for nuclear explosion levels of power of each manoeuver thruster, which at least should do more than just the small blowtorch effect we see at the moment (not to mention they wont activate visually). This can be very obviously seen on small fighters, at slower speeds they move like one dragging assets around in a 3D editor. Take off for example, stop, the ship stops moving instantly.

For reference, mav thrusters done correctly could be seen in Elite II Frontier. Go and check that out.

I like your pedantism! So I'll correct my hastily written reply as follows:
Sorry to be pedantic, but an "infinite acceleration" would mean the ship, instantly from one render frame to the next, disappears off the screen, to some undefined infinite distance.

I like your pedantism! So I'll correct my hastily written reply as follows:
That's true, but then we are not talking "zero time" as we were initially :) But yes, as long as we cannot get frame rates near (better yet, below :gasp: ) Planck time, we can't really get close to real infinite acceleration :)

Reasonably priced I see,kind of makes you wonder why it cost so much?
I’m not sure ripping off your whales is your best tactic.

It is when 'being a big spender' is what attracts people to your product in the first place. People like MoleHD want a fun space game, but others are not so much looking for a game but rather a stage where they are respected. And in this context respect comes from perceived wealth, dedication and exclusiveness. If the ship would be sold for $5 it would still be overpriced: the ship doesnt exist, none of the gameplay surrounding the ship exists nor does it have any tangible release date or planning. The difference between selling it for $5 or $650 is that the former is just a pointless overprices jpg whereas the second is a symbol of status, importance and, ultimately, respect. It isn't expensive because it has value; it derives its value from being expensive.

It is when 'being a big spender' is what attracts people to your product in the first place. People like MoleHD want a fun space game, but others are not so much looking for a game but rather a stage where they are respected. And in this context respect comes from perceived wealth, dedication and exclusiveness. If the ship would be sold for $5 it would still be overpriced: the ship doesnt exist, none of the gameplay surrounding the ship exists nor does it have any tangible release date or planning. The difference between selling it for $5 or $650 is that the former is just a pointless overprices jpg whereas the second is a symbol of status, importance and, ultimately, respect. It isn't expensive because it has value; it derives its value from being expensive.
Yes but the fella next to CR knows the cost of a burger!

Reasonably priced I see,kind of makes you wonder why it cost so much?
I’m not sure ripping off your whales is your best tactic.

Depends on how many venues they went to.

• Im guessing they had some kind of presentation at a venue of some kind
  • Then they moved on to the dinner where they had a menu booked and paid for, for X people
  • And then possibly booked another venue like a pub or something
EDIT: The cost probably includes the hotel room costs for the CIG staff who was there including cost of food outside the venue.

Last edited:
The difference between selling it for $5 or $650 is that the former is just a pointless overprices jpg whereas the second is a symbol of status, importance and, ultimately, respect. It isn't expensive because it has value; it derives its value from being expensive.

The problem that arise is that while i can find CIG's argument somewhat logical there is a fallacy inherit to the argument itself.

• They have a "rarity tax" to reduce the amount of ships being bought to create an artificial scarcity and stop everyone from buying it
  • They have a "military tax" to have military ships to be more expensive to further inflate the price and rarity of players actually owning one
  • It's an excessive price to STOP people from just buying everything
  • They always state that there is no need to purchase said ship

Ok, so we have a ship few SHOULD buy and it is expensive to PROHIBIT people from throwing cash at the screen - that's fine

- Then we unfortunately have VAT up to 25% on that - ok, we now have a ship that has an ungodly cost.

The problem is that some people see this as a prestige thing, something rare to own, or simply do not want the BOTHER with trying to grind for the darn thing.
So what happens, the opposite - people with money buy it like crazy...and im pretty sure the marketing department of CIG knows this.

While i LIKE the design and IDEAS about the larger ships i have no idea what i would DO with them even if all the future ideas of gameplay becomes reality...get lost in them?

I mean, a 300 meter long carrier...with 5 floors...

Or a luxury yacht that, at the time of writing apparently cost a quarter of a million in-game credits to refuel...

(...)
While i LIKE the design and IDEAS about the larger ships i have no idea what i would DO with them even if all the future ideas of gameplay becomes reality...get lost in them?
(...)

You're doing it wrong. Here you're supposed to write ten paragraphs about how it will have tens of various activities to do in and how there will be laughable peons working for you (for the right to serve on your ship), while you will leisurely overlook them from your captain's post between playing pool with your concierge friends and going for a swim with sexy NPC subsumption AI.

Depends on how many venues they went to.

• Im guessing they had some kind of presentation at a venue of some kind
  • Then they moved on to the dinner where they had a menu booked and paid for, for X people
  • And then possibly booked another venue like a pub or something
EDIT: The cost probably includes the hotel room costs for the CIG staff who was there including cost of food outside the venue.
“I’m guessing” “possibly”
Considering their track record,”I’m guessing”,”possibly”,they’re taking advantage.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom