The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
To be fair, rendering two cameras in your 3D world is not that hard. Issue is basically everything else :) Gameplay, performance, game flow - everything is more complex with VR. I can already see some of CR ideas how walking around should work aren't compatible with VR - in fact they are vomit inducing with regular monitor. I believe VR would be much much worse.

I don't think SC will ever get proper VR support. With chaos in their development it would take too much resources to redesign lot of things to make it work. Chris will sign it off as VR not being ready for awesomeness SC is.

my feeling is, the best way SC (and Elite going forward) could "solve" the VR puzzle would be to have options when to VR and when not to.

i am not that fussed about VR in "on foot" 1st person, but now struggle to play a racing or flying game NOT in VR (hence forza has little interest to me despite looking v nice)

but if they could implement a "putting on your flight helmet" (and star citizen actually does have this) which is actually when you put on your VR HMD, and then when you get out of your ship you take it off, and the game switches fully to a monitor, that would be a good start imo.

the same for any vehicles...

of course those with iron guts, or an omni treadmill may like to stay in VR all the time and that is fine too.... so take Elite (sorry to change games but it is the one i know best) oncve we have walking about i would have an options file each with its own settings, graphical and control wise - because you can push the eye candy a lot more outside of VR.

Ship VR (Y/N)
SRV VR (Y/N)
on foot VR (Y/N)
EVA VR (Y/N)

Last edited:
That's why ED can't beat SC for so many people. I just asked few and answer was that gameplay is boring, then I asked what they liked - and they openly said they like to play around with SC ships and fantasize about possibilities they convey.

So Star Citizen is a better experience because there is less to do and it's not "finished", and people can use their imagination instead? Like me as a 6-year-old (1978) sitting in a cardbox box and pretending I was in an X-Wing blowing up Tie-Fighters, making pew-pew noises and waving my hands about like CR? :D

It has a kind of logic to it, not sure what kind though.

Imagine my delight when in 1994 I actually got X-Wing on my PC.... I think this was the better experience, but it's difficult to make an objective comparison.

Last edited:
So Star Citizen is a better experience because there is less to do and it's not "finished", and people can use their imagination instead? Like me as a 6-year-old (1978) sitting in a cardbox box and pretending I was in an X-Wing blowing up Tie-Fighters, making pew-pew noises and waving my hands about like CR? :D

It has a kind of logic to it, not sure what kind though.
Remember how people say that original Elite worked so well it didn't have possibility to do full 3D and thus allowed to fill gaps for players? That's how it works.

In that angle I understand why they aren't worried about SC not finished at all. I think they even hope it never gets truly ready for release.

Remember how people say that original Elite worked so well it didn't have possibility to do full 3D and thus allowed to fill gaps for players? That's how it works.

In that angle I understand why they aren't worried about SC not finished at all. I think they even hope it never gets truly ready for release.

I understand the appeal of dreaming about the possibilities - I think that was the theme of one of the SC videos last year or early this year, someone re-posted it on this thread a few pages back.
And dreaming/imagining stuff is fine enough, I'd still rather have the game though.

Quite a good article about misleading marketing http://www.pcgamer.com/five-reasons-game-marketing-can-be-misleading

Vertical Slice - check
Target Footage/Pre-Vis - check
Bullshots - check
Press Demos - check

Well done CIG, 4/5 is great :rolleyes:

There were a couple of things in the gamescom demo that raise question marks about how it will be implemented. The man sitting at the table who gives you the mission, how does that work in a multiplayer game? Does everyone have to "dock" with him and wait in a queue like an ED space station? Will everyone just sit on each others laps? Will there be one guy at each table available to give missions to each player in the instance?

Will I be able to sit with the guy and not finish the sequence, thereby preventing other players from sitting down and taking missions?

Good article BTW, I'm glad there is some sensible focus on why Witcher 3, Watchdogs, etc were "downgraded" after trade-show demonstrations were shown and it's been a lazy convenient excuse to blame console ports all the time.

I think trade-show demos should be made to clearly state the level of work in progress they are at, and somebody should be doing due diligence on them before allowing them to preview their work. When is the release date? Oh, you don't know? You have to slap a big "Proof of concept" sticker over your demo then thank you.

Maybe if consumers would stop buying into this nonsense and wait until the game is out before they assume anything we'd be in a better place.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm nearly 40 yrs old. What does "swing golf radar" means?!

Well I'm even older and I haven't the faintest idea old bean!

I think it may be one of those things where a meter swings back and forth and when you click determines the strength and/or direction of the action like in a golf game.

But I haven't seen the video in question and I'm certainly not reading the thread about it!

Sorry but I'm nearly 40 yrs old. What does "swing golf radar" means?!

AFAIK it's a reference to rubbish old golf games where you push a button to start the swing there's a moving swingometer with a green bit to show you perfect hittage, you push a button as close to perfect as you can.

Basically a really simplistic 1 button push "mini-game" that was common in rubbish games in the 80's.

Otherwise known as an MVP.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom