The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I understand that the results of that poll could be skewed by people proud of their purchases, but over half the people in that poll have spent over a thousand dollars.

I do get the feeling that my purchase of the cheapest of options will mean that I'm treated as a second class citizen.

The results are skewed. The average pledge is $75 or so. That poll perfectly sums up the problem with the CIG forums: the tiny subset of whales totally dominates the forums. Whereas these whales would be pretty much mocked everywhere else, online or offline, the CIG forums became an echo-chamber where people congratulate each other on spending more money. In that poll one of the people even admits having spend two monthly salaries, while being in financial difficulties now after changing jobs. Thats not cool or fun. Yet if you go there with your $35 pledge you will be seen as second-class as best, and a possible traitor to the dream at worst. Its partly why so little is known about the actual game design: to make a sane game that will actually sell they will have to do things that will never be accepted by the fanatics on their own forum. But if they please these people, everyone else will drop SC like a hot potato. So far they've been able to distract people enough by almost exclusively talking about fluff 'fidelity', or techno-babble, without having to describe what the actual gameplay will be. But that cant go on forever...

I think you mean you're going to watch Sq42!

:D

Ugh...I hope not too much.

Though, by the time anything does get released, this whole debacle will be withering memory, only to be reminded when an RSI email slips out of the Junk folder.

Last edited:
Ugh...I hope not too much.

Though, by the time anything does get released, this whole debacle will be withering memory, only to be reminded when an RSI email slips out of the Junk folder.

Considering a third of their funds have been supposedly used already for mocap, you can bet the farm it will play a massive role in Sq42. And dont forget that CR seems to want to be a Hollywood director more than a game designer, which is why he talks non-stop about mocap, actors, fidelity etc and never about actual game design. CoD will be a major issue though. Say what you will, but these games are highly polished, always look great and play smoothly. Thats something CIG has yet to show.

Last edited:
Well you know who has virtually just gone weapons free on Twitter!

Of course it might be a pre Citizen Con tactic - but on the other hand it might not..

And with the talk of them signifcantly increasing the cost compared to what they are now, you could be spending time equivalent to $1500. At 6000 UEC per hour and 3 hours per night you're talking about 84 days to earn that ship.

Ho boy! Lucky that there's "hundreds of hours if not thousands of hours" in just one system eh

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Well you know who has virtually just gone weapons free on Twitter!

Of course it might be a pre Citizen Con tactic - but on the other hand it might not..

Got a link. I don't do twitter thing

I gotta say, for all of the supposed failure that DSmart is according to the cult - he either has a lot of money that affords him a lot of free time to author novels on twitter, or he has nailed down all of the spots with free WiFi within the vicinity of his very spacious and light filled cardboard box, in much better condition than my house, he apparently lives in judging by a previous profile pic of his.

Last edited:
I believe CoD is already doing it, there are only one system there too.

For all those people who had hoped to attract the wallets of the FPS crowd are going to be sorely disappointed because if SC wasn't on their radars before and they come to it after November all those people will be comparing Star Citizen to Call of Duty Infinite Warfare. It will be "What's the big deal, been there done that in COD:IW?".

The problem is that all of those assets are probably not (directly) compatible with the game today. I think in the Kotaku article they mentioned that character size had changed, leading to all the assets needing to be modified. It looks like the lighting has also changed, PBR, 64-bit, corridor sizes etc.

I assume some of the assets are 'good', but a lot of it may be little better than a 'visual guide' for a designer to redesign/implement.

Some assets may not be "compatible", but I don't think most of them were afected by this. We are talking about entire cities; seats or ships and some stuff like that? Sure, but I can't see how everything else should be affected by that(character size) change for example. But well... in the end we shall know in the near future.
There are also a lot of fundamental gameplay aspects in that missing tech that you listed - their AI demos have been pretty depressing, the Gamescom demo mission seemed pretty annoying (far too much faffing about required, it will get old quickly and I say that as someone who tries to 100% BioWare games! [where is it] ), and I'm pretty sure that getting "hundreds" of users in an instance for FPS is basically impossible without sacrificing the "fidelity" that CR seems obsessed with.

I'm sure that folks at CIG have been doing a lot of good work, that isn't the issue!
Sure, there is a long list of gameplay aspects missing. No one can deny that.

Most missions I don't think will be like that, some of them? Sure. But normal contracts and stuff more common will probably only have the "tipical" mission text without a "real" NPC telling you about it.

About the hundreds of users in the "same instance", it will depend of how the tech related is implemented. We shall see, hopefully soon.

Last edited:
I gotta say, for all of the supposed failure that DSmart is according to the cult - he either has a lot of money that affords him a lot of free time to author novels on twitter, or he has nailed down all of the spots with free WiFi within the vicinity of his very spacious and light filled cardboard box, in much better condition than my house, he apparently lives in judging by a previous profile pic of his.

AFAIK Chris Roberts, David Braben and Derek Smart all earned enough money to retire. Maybe not insane-Gates level rich, but rich enough that they can essentially spend their time on whatever they want. And that is where you can see what someone's passion is: how much of his own money did DS put into his games, and how much did CR put into SC? I've not played DS's games, but even if they were every bit as terrible as the Cult claims, at least he doesnt waste 100+ million of other people on what appears to be a pseudo-scam at best. DS appears to be a indie-dev at heart, whereas CR seems (to me!) to be more interested in Hollywood, using backer money to fuel that dream.

For all those people who had hoped to attract the wallets of the FPS crowd are going to be sorely disappointed because if SC wasn't on their radars before and they come to it after November all those people will be comparing Star Citizen to Call of Duty Infinite Warfare. It will be "What's the big deal, been there done that in COD:IW?".

Just image what will happen if COD is released, ED gets spacelegs and all the other upcoming spacegames go into early access. A MVP SC simply has no reason to exist at that point.

Freelancer demonstrated the only practical way to handle voicing generic missions.

You have the mission guy says something like "We have a mission for you. Details are on the mission board." The real mission text is then on the board.

Individual voicing of computer generated missions is just about impossible (unless you want to sound like the station announcement computer at Glasgow Central with audible pauses between the key phrases) and handcrafting all the missions is impractical if they want to have any staying power.

For this reason I've long thought that the voiced missions they have are all for SQ42 and not for the persistent universe.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom