The Things are coming, we cannot stop them ... and we need your help!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
What if the pilot can't spell, and has a very basic grasp of written language? Yes every pilot ever has perfect english skills. You would think so, but going by endless posts on the forums, it seems to be a remarkably common occurrence that pilots' (commanders) spelling and comprehension weirdly aren't always perfect.

But you are right; let's ignore one context for a hurried message to make sure it's "correct"; I'm sure you've never typo'd an SMS, tweet, facebook post or message in the history of ever, including potentially being under duress or stress, either - right? :)

edit: my point is yes the messages perhaps should be spelled correctly, but humans tend to not always spell correctly; replacing one 'immersion' concern with another just makes CMDR KOFEYH want to upend buckets over people's heads.

My point is: However you wish to dress it up these are not written by 'pilots', they are written by paid employees of FD. It's just sloppy writing and if they can't string together a few basic sentences in English then it makes one wonder of the calibre of the people on the team. There is a vast difference between a user quickly scribbling a tweet or forum reply and an employee sitting at a desk in company time being paid to enter content into a game. When the game has so little depth and the devs then rely on text to add 'content' you'd think they'd at least make an effort to get it right.

Shame whoever wrote the Tip Off messages for FD can't spell either. Second image down in the original post, 'I DON'T THINK THEIR HOSTILE', really? Should read 'I DON'T THINK THEY'RE HOSTILE' short for they are. Can this be corrected please by the devs.

I think they just playing Pokemon Go 3000 and crashed the ship trying to avoid a pikachu on their smartphones OOOHHHH THE NOISE PIKKKKKAAAACHHUUUUUUU :D

I never got any message like these ones (and I play a lot). Is there a place or an activity that actually produces them or is it entirely RNG ?

Shame whoever wrote the Tip Off messages for FD can't spell either. Second image down in the original post, 'I DON'T THINK THEIR HOSTILE', really? Should read 'I DON'T THINK THEY'RE HOSTILE' short for they are. Can this be corrected please by the devs.

'I don't think their hostile' really FD? Do you ever proof read?

Things written in quotation are exempt from grammar rules because they are meant to be a literal reprinting of what was said. Granted this was in all likelihood a typo, you can't entirely rule out that the character who typed that message made the mistake.

My point is: However you wish to dress it up these are not written by 'pilots', they are written by paid employees of FD. It's just sloppy writing and if they can't string together a few basic sentences in English then it makes one wonder of the calibre of the people on the team. There is a vast difference between a user quickly scribbling a tweet or forum reply and an employee sitting at a desk in company time being paid to enter content into a game. When the game has so little depth and the devs then rely on text to add 'content' you'd think they'd at least make an effort to get it right.

my god, really? someone should interview your boss about your work

Things written in quotation are exempt from grammar rules because they are meant to be a literal reprinting of what was said. Granted this was in all likelihood a typo, you can't entirely rule out that the character who typed that message made the mistake.

Are you being serious? This is an imaginary quote from an imaginary person in a world of make believe. It has been entered by an employee of a company paid to enter text into a game. Least they can do is use spell check or at least proof read it before it's put in game. Not much to ask really.

Would you prefer mission text along these lines? Goto sistem 45680 wiv ur ship and pik up sum kanisters, Bring it back for sum dosh. I think not.

Last edited:
I'll holdout on believing any of the text in the tipoff's are cannon until either FDev comes out and states that it is or we start actually seeing NPC thargoids/AI ships in the game. Try and fool me once with cryptic messages with Jaques and retcon it in galnet, first, shame on you. Try and fool me with cryptic tipoff's, twice, shame on me.

My point is: However you wish to dress it up these are not written by 'pilots', they are written by paid employees of FD. It's just sloppy writing and if they can't string together a few basic sentences in English then it makes one wonder of the calibre of the people on the team.

So someone typed something incorrect..? Oh noes!
Elite: Pedantry is strong in this thread.

I'm sort of curious to how these bits and pieces of Tip-Offs will be solved though. Perhaps they are coming! *Puts on Tinfoil-hat and starts cheering*

Would you prefer mission text along these lines? Goto sistem 45680 wiv ur ship and pik up sum kanisters, Bring it back for sum dosh. I think not.

Yes, yes I would - if only as means to annoy people who think there is only one way to spell something ,or that there is some magical beast as "proper grammar" :)

very interesting halcyon, tell us more (ignore list winner)

So now for everyone else:

Had a tip off for HIP 14840 2 - planetary coordinates: 41,11 / -68,60.

Jumped the 220 ly and searched the given coordinates which were slightly different from the actual ones. But then I saw it: A crashed T9 with some other rusty structures (hard to tell what it was).
On my first (!) trip with a SRV I only found some cargo canisters with usual military commodities, but one contained "military intel" or something. Average galactical price was 55000. Nice ... but not really worth the effort.
Another thing I found was a ripped out cargo rack but a scan would bring no result.

I scanned everything (cargo rack, even the canisters) but nothing happened. I circled the area and crashsite several times but ... nothing. I hoped for the antennas on top of the T9 but again ... nothing to target there.

After 1 hour I left a bit disappointed. I still have the feeling I missed something because the message said I could scan the ships data core with an encryption code which they uploaded in my Cobra´s system. Maybe some other CMDR is in the area and could try because I totally lack practical experience in ground exploration with the SRV. Oops, does that mean only I could scan the core?

Yes, I have detailed screenshots but was to lazy to upload them yet.

Last edited:
very interesting halcyon, tell us more (ignore list winner)

So now for everyone else:

Had a tip off for HIP 14840 2 - planetary coordinates: 41,11 / -68,60.

Jumped the 220 ly and searched the given coordinates which were slightly different from the actual ones. But then I saw it: A crashed T9 with some other rusty structures (hard to tell what it was).
On my first (!) trip with a SRV I only found some cargo canisters with usual military commodities, but one contained "military intel" or something. Average galactical price was 55000. Nice ... but not really worth the effort.
Another thing I found was a ripped out cargo rack but a scan would bring no result.

I scanned everything (cargo rack, even the canisters) but nothing happened. I circled the area and crashsite several times but ... nothing. I hoped for the antennas on top of the T9 but again ... nothing to target there.

After 1 hour I left a bit disappointed. I still have the feeling I missed something because the message said I could scan the ships data core with an encryption code which they uploaded in my Cobra´s system. Maybe some other CMDR is in the area and could try because I totally lack practical experience in ground exploration with the SRV. Oops, does that mean only I could scan the core?

Yes, I have detailed screenshots but was to lazy to upload them yet.

You're right. I had the same issue with this tipoff in HIP 14840 2.
No datacore, no message to be found.

It seems that the initial TIPOFF you recieve are the same one's.
Then after a while perhaps we're starting to get different one's. Not sure about this though.
At least a few commanders in Canonn have recieved a few odd one's I haven't seen yet.

This is the full list I received so far, In order:
HIP 14840 2, 41.10,-68.57,stash,No datacore.
Avan A 2,-36.98,127.39,Data scan
Omega-1 Aquarii 3,86.72,-165.15,Scan
BD+18 5029 B 5 a,-3.23,-47.29,Scan,
Tascheter Sector CR-M a7-1 8 a,-81.87,-13.42,Collect data
Scorpii Sector OS-U b2-10 C 3,15.67,-62.24,Scan
Harpuligni 6,-10.64,45.25,Scan data core
17 Virginis 1 b,4.67,-49.72,Stash of cargo
Sietae B 2 a,-21.30,-162.98,Scan
LHS 2509 5 a,1.44,121.36,Scan data core

NOTE: If you go there without having the KEY you may not be able to interprete the message.
1. You may be able to scan the datacore, get the money for it.
2. But once it's scanned, you may not scan it again.
3. If you later get the tipoff for the same ship, you may then be locked out. May .. I'm not really sure about this.

Last edited:
Thats how I would spell , I have mental issues... however someone like me should not be in the position to put out material like this without someone else proof reading it.

Please drop the derail on spelling now. File a ticket if you like to get it corrected, but we don't need to go into the subject further in this thread.
We're trying to get hold of more messages if possible.
Please.

Last edited:
take a step back folks, jacques station in deep space, all alone and still half broken, if any aliens show up here theres maybe 50 commanders a few dozen npcs, and system security to defend him.

The way we have restroed the commodity market, and now working on other services is for more commanders to bring meta alloys to jacques and begin local mining operations and also helping system security maintain law and order.

We are the real front line, and the majority of commanders are arguing over pionts of interest in the bubble. Assist jacques today

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom