But the Wolves, have they already attacked men in the reality ?

No.

The idea that wolves are a threat to people beyond rare flukes or the occasional loss of livestock is a comical farce.

Bears, on the other hand, often put people on the menu.

How often is often?

I'd be surprised if there weren't more people killed and eaten by other people in NA than there were people eaten by bears.

Although, recently a man killed a young cougar with his bare hands in the United States.

That was fit young man killing a 30-40 pound juvenile, barely counts.

73-year old Daniel M'Mburugu killing an adult leopard that attacked him while he was farming, by shoving his arm down it's throat and ripping out it's tongue, was far more impressive.

I was thinking more along the lines of a cyclist deterrent/removal service or at the very least an incentive to peddle faster and get out of the way

Everyone should have to cycle for a year or two before being allowed to apply for a driving license. Just too many dangerously ignorant motorists around.

Nobodies said they have to be eradicated, that's just what inevitably happens when people get killed.

The only way to prevent it is fenced off nature reserves people can't get into, even then people climbing into the animal enclosure and getting killed is really common.

I know a zookeeper who spends a disturbing amount of time trying to convince parents that dangling their children over the big cat enclosure wall, or asking them to climb it, is a really bad idea.

I know a zookeeper who spends a disturbing amount of time trying to convince parents that dangling their children over the big cat enclosure wall, or asking them to climb it, is a really bad idea.

There's a zoo in the UK with the only survivors of a troop of gorillas wiped out by poachers. They are absolutely terrified of non-white people and attack the plexi-glass if they see them (fight or flight plus nowhere to go so fight response kicks in).

When asked to remove children from in front of the plexi-glass to stop the gorillas injuring themselves or breaking out, parents stand complaining about the gorillas being racist as the glass visibly flexes inches in front of their kids faces.

There's a zoo in the UK with the only survivors of a troop of gorillas wiped out by poachers. They are absolutely terrified of non-white people and attack the plexi-glass if they see them (fight or flight plus nowhere to go so fight response kicks in).

When asked to remove children from in front of the plexi-glass to stop the gorillas injuring themselves or breaking out, parents stand complaining about the gorillas being racist as the glass visibly flexes inches in front of their kids faces.

Well, they are!
lol

Reminds me of the people who want to go and put their heads next to a sleeping Hawai'ian monk seal, for a photo op.
Yes, please DO startle the sleeping 500lb predator with your face.

Studies-of-monk-seals-are-limited-to-retrospective-analyses-based-on-very-limited.png

verminstar

Banned
Thats a fear thats difficult to overcome. Ive seen my fair share in life but I will never forget or truly overcome that memory...and that wasnt a wolf, that was a pitbull attack. It also wasnt a random accident. It made page 8 of the daily mirror last year...yay Im famous.

I can laugh about a lotta things that would horrify most normal folks, give them cause to worry if I turn on the charm offensive and start going into detail...but I got this thing about animals probably cos I prefer animals to people. Being eaten...hmm thats right up there with my fear of the dentist...I pay fer the twilight sleep even fer routine fillings, Im really not being funny thats an irrational fear difficult to even think about let alone envisage in the minds eye ^

Well, they are!
lol

Reminds me of the people who want to go and put their heads next to a sleeping Hawai'ian monk seal, for a photo op.
Yes, please DO startle the sleeping 500lb predator with your face.

Open the doors to the enclosures and let natural selection do it's thing, I say.

Open the doors to the enclosures and let natural selection do it's thing, I say.

If you knew the amount of times I wanted to help someone fall accidentally into an enclousure at zoos or animal parks, people that keep provoking or otherwise pestering the animals. And unlike what we would expect, most of the time the people with the worst behaviour are actually the adults, not the children.

Cattle can be lethal, especially for dog walkers.

Its not a misleading statistic at all, the only people who track numbers of kids reported missing are the cops and its self evident most will turn up again afterwards. Which is why I use phrases like go missing or reported missing rather than vanish into thin air.

And I still fail to see the relation between missing kids and the dangers of living alongside wolves.

I get very tempted to burst into loud seal barks.

I've had a big bull pop up next to me while surfing.
It got really close, glared at me and started barking and baring it's teeth, so I won't forget the sound any time soon.

Don't pay attention to all the hysteria and sensationalism concerning wolves in the wild, guys. It's nonsense; wolves do not behave that way. You have far FAR more chance of being mauled by someone's pet dog then being chased down on your bike and eaten by wolves. Actually, that's a shockingly powerful understatement seeing as how people (especially children) are mauled by dogs on a daily basis, while a quick search of the Web shows that statistically you're more likely to get hit by lightning 400 times in a row on separate occasions than attacked by a wolf. It's nonsense, the likes of which strain the credulity of even the worst Hollywood script.

I grew up in the wilds of the Alaskan bush where wolves are common-place and made my living for most of my life trecking by foot & dog team through all the wild places of the North American continent and have never once even caught a hint of the behaviors being extolled here. Now, on the other hand, if you see someone walking their Pitbull emotional support dog at the airport you might want to steer clear...

I was stationed in Canada 10 years ago at an army training ground in Alberta. The training ground was about 3 miles from my house so I cycled mostly unless it was really bad weather. One night I was cycling home and got chased by a pack of probably 7 or 8 wolves for nearly half a mile, I have never ever cycled so fast, at the time I was a heavy smoker but it's amazing how adrenaline will push you when it has to. To this day I cannot tell you how scared I was especially as the road was in bad condition and if I had fell I don't know if I'd be alive now.

They might be noble creatures or whatever but damn i was lucky, didn't cycle there ever again and put the kids bike in the loft.

Jesus...

No not the being-eaten-by-wolves part, the actually deadly part.
Putting a heavy smoker to exercise hard while adrenaline is pumping, for half a mile while he has a cold face.

That's a recipe for cardiac arrest.

You got away twice, Jezzah.

Jesus...

No not the being-eaten-by-wolves part, the actually deadly part.
Putting a heavy smoker to exercise hard while adrenaline is pumping, for half a mile while he has a cold face.

That's a recipe for cardiac arrest.

You got away twice, Jezzah.

Haha could be true that. Mind you I was mid 30s and reasonably fit in military sense.

Top Bottom