This game is still full of bugs :(

Thanks to the return of Galnet and CGs, I'm doing things that I haven't done in a long time, like combat zones. I'm surprised at the number of old, well-documented bugs that remain in the game. I normally don't encounter these specific bugs when out exploring, so I was hoping the last batch of updates might have fixed all these little nuisances. I didn't encounter anything "game breaking", but the old phrase "death by a thousand cuts" does come to mind.

I'm guessing we're not getting any more updates with Odyssey just around the bend. I just hope that Frontier includes bug-fixes for the base game (which will be Horizons going forward) as part of the Odyssey update. Like I said, all the bugs I encountered are well known, well documented, and have been around for a long time. The new narrative and associated community goals are great, but these bugs... ---v

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to the return of Galnet and CGs, I'm doing things that I haven't done in a long time, like combat zones. I'm surprised at the number of old, well-documented bugs that remain in the game. I normally don't encounter these specific bugs when out exploring, so I was hoping the last batch of updates might have fixed all these little nuisances. I didn't encounter anything "game breaking", but the old phrase "death by a thousand cuts" does come to mind.

I'm guessing we're not getting any more updates with Odyssey just around the bend. I just hope that Frontier includes bug-fixes for the base game (which will be Horizons going forward) as part of the Odyssey update. Like I said, all the bugs I encountered are well known, well documented, and have been around for a long time. The new narrative and associated community goals are great, but these bugs, well, a picture is worth many words:

iu

Make sure to keep the VP away from the telepods!

Yup.... been saying it since FCs got announced. We need bugfixes, not new features like space legs.

"Oh Jmanis, that's a bit rash, surely both can happen?"

Obviously not since we continue to get new features built on the rubble of never-fixed game bugs.

Yup.... been saying it since FCs got announced. We need bugfixes, not new features like space legs.

"Oh Jmanis, that's a bit rash, surely both can happen?"

Obviously not since we continue to get new features built on the rubble of never-fixed game bugs.
I have mixed opinions about this. I'm definitely opposed to building new stuff on top of broken, buggy code, since that makes fixing the old code even harder because the new code might actually "rely" on those bugs being there. On the other hand, there are bugs I encounter that I know I could fix myself if only I had the source code, and I'm just a one-man band with a little extra time on his hands. We see this with Microsoft Flight Simulator, where the community (myself included) is fixing all sorts of bugs and half-baked stuff in the game, and very quickly. This makes me think it isn't a lack of programming talent, but rather very poor project management. I wouldn't be surprised if Frontier has programmers begging to fix the easy one-liner bugs, and some clueless manager is saying, "No, fixing bugs doesn't make the company money." Pure conjecture, I know, but I'd bet some credits on this being the case.

Compared to other games I play, Elite is relatively bug free (I'm looking at you Ark: Survival Evolved).

Sure it has some but they are minor annoyances to me, or I havent really encountered game breaking or show stopping bugs in my nearly 5,000 hour play through (except bugs after update launches, but those are to be expected)

Got the 2 speed throttle bug again (either 0 or 100%) so had to logout and login again to reset the game. Frozen navigation panel etc

Good thing none of the bugs showed up while I was blasting EB mafia ships.

One new thing I noticed: returning to the station between sorties, and having to faff about for some time making multiple attempts to get docking permission. I wasn't being denied, it just wasn't working for awhile.

Would you mind mentioning the ones that were causing you trouble? I’ve not been experiencing any behavior in the game I would consider to be due to a bug in a while, but I’m guessing I’m not doing whatever you’re doing to trigger these bugs.

I will be interested to see if post Odyssey continues brings updates to the Horizins base as I suspect it will as freezing a legacy branch of the game makes absolutly no sense to me.

My suspicion is some non breaking bug fixes would be moved over to the unreleased stuff in active QA

Odyssey players will have their own bugs, probably a whole load of gitching through the terrain getting stuck in doors

Red Hotspots don't even appear for me on Rings after I use my DS on them. Which is really annoying
The only thing that appears is the location marker of the minerals in nav.

Is that a persistent bug for you? I noticed it happening a few times out in the black, but logging out and back in again seemed to fix it?

Would you mind mentioning the ones that were causing you trouble? I’ve not been experiencing any behavior in the game I would consider to be due to a bug in a while, but I’m guessing I’m not doing whatever you’re doing to trigger these bugs.
I'll give you a subset specific to this last CG. Note that most of these are intermittent - sometimes these problems occur, other times not.
  • CZs not giving the option to pick a side
  • Kills (legitimate) in a CZ not rewarding bonds
  • Rubber-banding when other players share instance in CG (I'm told this is an SLF-related bug)
  • Request Docking glitches
  • System chat requires double selection to work (otherwise chat goes to local)
  • Bond reward when cashed in doesn't match rewards tallied from info panel

I'm sure are others I'm forgetting ATM, crap that gets me in the middle of heated combat, for example. If you need a full and detailed list of all the bugs, just visit the official issue tracker. There's no need for me to copy-n-paste that list here.

Top Bottom