I would like to see some Trumbles back in the game! Were so funny and frustrating back in the day on my old C64 - crawling all over my screen whilst trying to target enemies and failing - and no clue how to get rid of them at the time! I think a series of community goals could be introduced starting with an outbreak at a starbase in which they are overrun with a population explosion of trumbles following delivery of an illegal shipment (could literally have them floating out of the space station as it bursts at the seams!) - cmdrs could be called upon to transport as many as possible to a particular star type or black hole to literally burn/suck their growing cargo holds free of pesky trumbles. Could be even more interesting if trumbles population in cargo holds increase dramatically with every jump and trumbles cause ship modules to malfunction when cargo at 100% and crawling all over ship requiring some strategic calculations/risks by cmdrs when deciding how many tons of trumbles to carry initially before they can reach suitable star types or black holes!

That first community goal could be followed up with famine outbreak at starbases after all food supplies eaten by all the trumbles and people starving - also demand for machinery components to repair damage to infrastructure.

Later community goals could have different trumble species outbreaks starting to make killing them increasingly more dangerous/difficult eg - 1st outbreak single species of red trumbles (kill by burning them at red star types maybe), 2nd outbreak two species say red and blue (need to visit red and blue star types), 3rd outbreak three species say red, blue and black (need to visit black hole maybe to hoover them off!) - each jump causing remaining trumbles to multiply, erratic module failures, and ultimately damage ships if trumble tonnage exceeds ship cargo capacity! (Oh and gotta have them crawling around the cockpit!!)

Only get rewards for tons of trumbles removed from starbases and successfully destroyed - maybe a trumble bobble-head would be cool!

Could tie increasing trumble outbreaks into a thargoid side story with thargoids genetically engineering new resistant breeds of trumbles in an attempt to infest all inhabited star systems to weaken our war efforts - a sort of biological furry warfare! Ooh maybe even corrosive trumbles! Yikes!

Alternatively - would be interesting to introduce a rare goods location at a distant starbase selling 1 ton exotic breed of trumbles which can infest every station that it is sold to on the black market (and then subsequently becomes available for sale again at that station via dodgy dealers/black market) to see how long it would take to infest the whole galaxy!

Anyone else wanna see some Trumble Trouble in the Elite galaxy? Any other ideas out there?

Lets get ready to Trumble!... :)

Spacepets :D

I like the idea, it should be in the game, I would not buy one.

If you have one on board (or an infection) and transfer ship the infection spreads to another ship, maybe to the station your ship is stored in and given enough time, other Cmdr's ships stored in that location.

Or it could work like the new bounty system, where a ship is 'infected' forever until you 'clean' it by travelling to a decontamination workshop (like clearing a bounty at a factor).

I like this idea a lot ;)

:)) i like your idea of ship to ship transfer - made me think it would be cool if your ship cargo was bursting at the seams (ie 100% and leaking trumbles) that crashing into other player ships could transfer a few trumbles to their cargo - and start multiplying, eating up food cargo/beer/narcotics etc and damaging/spoiling other cargo types in their hold before cmdr can burn them off their hulls at an appropriate star or hoover them off at a black hole!

Maybe also buy some new modules for ships such as trumble containment unit - i’m thinking the ‘Trumble Buster 9000’ (complete with trumble lure to attract and trap them from the rest of your ship until you can safely dispose of them - of course if module gets damaged could cause a catastrophic failure and trumble-plosion inside your ship - yikes! Death by furballs! Was thinking 10 tons of trumbles could be squashed into 1 ton of trumbles when captured inside a trumble containment unit with different sized modules holding different maximum capacities above which trumble containment can no longer be guaranteed!

Would also be funny to pass your trumbles onto some ramming pirate b’stard after they interdict your little ship with their imperial clipper - a final FU before they kill your ! Actually would be hillarious to chase imperial clippers in your little infested ship as u try to ram them to pass on some of your trumbles - run pirates run! 😎

I would like to see that. But unfortunately i also see why we won't get that. The old trumbles only worked on the basis that our screen/monitor was the windscreen of our ship. That way the trumble-sprites were able to "climb" it and things worked well enough.
In this game, we have fully modeled cockpits. That would require trumbles to be able to navigate the complex geometry of our cockpits. It's not impossible, but considering how much trouble AI in some other games (not speaking of old games here) has when navigating just flat ground with a few obstacles, i think that maybe the developers will focus their time elsewhere.
So i guess keeping the old C64 trumbles and how they crawl over your crosshairs in the middle of a tough fight in memoriam is the way to go.

I would like to see that. But unfortunately i also see why we won't get that. The old trumbles only worked on the basis that our screen/monitor was the windscreen of our ship. That way the trumble-sprites were able to "climb" it and things worked well enough.
In this game, we have fully modeled cockpits. That would require trumbles to be able to navigate the complex geometry of our cockpits. It's not impossible, but considering how much trouble AI in some other games (not speaking of old games here) has when navigating just flat ground with a few obstacles, i think that maybe the developers will focus their time elsewhere.
So i guess keeping the old C64 trumbles and how they crawl over your crosshairs in the middle of a tough fight in memoriam is the way to go.

Hmm! Good point, however might be able to just have the trumbles crawling about on the controls/dashboard area, and in front of scanner, speed and temperature meters etc - also be funny if they randomly trigger speed increases when approaching starports, dropping/changing target locks when in combat, deploying hardpoints/firing at inopertune moments (eg at big ships, trying to escape to hyperspace etc), opening cargo hatch, deploying landing gear, ejecting cargo - they could drive you nuts! Lol! Maybe just have them inflating themselves into big fluffy balls and floating off the dashboard in front of your face/field of view!

Bring Back The Trumbles!!
Shrewzilla🤓

Top Bottom