UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
What I would like to know is the logic for their placement. I want to know if there are in-game clues to finding them. It boggles my mind to think that these guys just randomly stumbled across a *persistent* site. Like the chances are astronomical, so how? Of all the millions of kilometers on Merope 5C, what is it that lead them to that exact point?

Great we've found one.
Now... how do we find more... what's the pattern?

I predicted yesterday in this thread that they might be found on the outer planet of a system in order to better "filter" (being Barnacles) or access the nebula, which appears to be true, in this case at least. Being organic they could also require to be in the "Goldilocks" zone for temperature, which also appears to be true for this case.

So I would suggest looking for other outer planets in nebulae that are at a reasonable temperature for life as we know it.

Last edited:
This was incredibly difficult to find even with the co-ordinates. Maybe that's just me!

It sounds very like the UA and emits the same little blue sparkly things. The structures are all made of the foam metal and there is a design on the main "barnacle".

Best pics I could get of it...

HighResScreenShot_2016-01-14_17-00-51.jpg
HighResScreenShot_2016-01-14_17-02-58.jpg
HighResScreenShot_2016-01-14_17-05-13.jpg
HighResScreenShot_2016-01-14_17-08-44.jpg

That needs to be scienced before coming to a conclusion like that.

No obvious special conditions? No reason for it to be there? Disappointing (for now)!

There... :)

The fact that there is nothing remarkable about the planet/moon (rocky, low grav etc) is disappointing after all of our theorising.

Last edited:
Damn it why does this all happen while Im at work :(.

Awesome find for sure. I could swear I was close last night in Elephant's Trunk, but it would honestly have been weird to find the first outside the Pleiades Nebula.

That 2km view distance looks brutal, no wonder it went so long trying to brute force this

NecoMachina

N
Some things I've noted so far. They emit particles and sounds similar to UA. The spikes yield Phosphorous, Nickel, Carbon, Iron, Manganese, Sulphur, Mercury, Arsenic, Germanium - seems they are "feeding" or at least composed of some of the stuff in the nebula. Also, they make some sort of "digging" type noise (best I can explain it) like there is movement undergound. My theory is we will find them in the yellowish sulphur areas. It seems to me that these areas are kind of like "riverbeds" and have had flowing liquid of some sort from geysers or volcanic activity in the past. I'm no scientist, just some thoughts I had.

Edit: also, I think they were onto something about the planet being far from the sun, as the melting point clue in the description mentions they probably dont like it too hot.

Last edited:
Congrats on the find to the lucky CMDR's, and congrats to all who helped in the search! :)

Now to science this one, investigate that transmissions, and find the others! :D

I'm uploading a video which will help you find others using the radar, uninterrupted close look... Will share when googleTube minces the quality

No obvious special conditions? No reason for it to be there? Disappointing (for now)!

There... :)

I have said it once but I will repeat since everything is getting lost in this thread, I've added a picture this time, This is what the place it was found looks like from orbit:

Barnaclelocation.png

See how it's pretty damn obvious? I theorized in the last thread they could be in these because FD describe them in a video as being mineral deposits, and that's the ideal place for a Barnacle to grow its meta alloys.

I would be willing to bet this is the special condition it requires. And I will be testing it shortly by scouring the hell out of other bits like this on the same planet, and then on other planets around the place.

OMG! now the party starts!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I have said it once but I will repeat since everything is getting lost in this thread, I've added a picture this time, This is what the place it was found looks like from orbit:

View attachment 94890

See how it's pretty damn obvious? I theorized in the last thread they could be in these because FD describe them in a video as being mineral deposits, and that's the ideal place for a Barnacle to grow its meta alloys.

I would be willing to bet this is the special condition it requires. And I will be testing it shortly by scouring the hell out of other bits like this on the same planet, and then on other planets around the place.
I tried this, and also landslides. nope.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom