Ungulate Talk

The reason we in the west don't eat horse today is because the Church outlawed it as a "pagan" practice, since ritual sacrifice of horses and the consumption of their meat was viewed as a Heathen thing. Many of our cultural taboos are hangovers from when the Church had significant influence.
Plenty of us in the west live in countries where horse is consumed.

Plenty of us in the west live in countries where horse is consumed.
Yes, I am aware, but "plenty" is a bit of an exagerration and the taboo against eating horse meat certainly exists. There are plenty of instances of this even making the news in recent times, with horse meat being found in places it shouldn't. You're in Sweden, yes? Scandinavia is one of the places the Church was targeting with its horse meat taboo, because Scandinavia remained pagan for far longer than the rest of Europe.

In any case western countries are secular nowadays (in fact, most countries are, at least on paper) so it's a moot point. I was more saying that horse consumption isn't common because of a cultural taboo intigated by the Church in the days when religion and law were one and the same.

Yes, I am aware, but "plenty" is a bit of an exagerration and the taboo against eating horse meat certainly exists. There are plenty of instances of this even making the news in recent times, with horse meat being found in places it shouldn't. You're in Sweden, yes? Scandinavia is one of the places the Church was targeting with its horse meat taboo, because Scandinavia remained pagan for far longer than the rest of Europe.

In any case western countries are secular nowadays (in fact, most countries are, at least on paper) so it's a moot point. I was more saying that horse consumption isn't common because of a cultural taboo intigated by the Church in the days when religion and law were one and the same.
I don’t deny it is taboo in some places but you said “we in the west” when there are several European countries where it is eaten and they are very much part of the west as it is generally understood.

I don’t deny it is taboo in some places but you said “we in the west” when there are several European countries where it is eaten and they are very much part of the west as it is generally understood.
That's a weird thing to focus on. I don't think anyone considers Europe "not part of the West".

That's a weird thing to focus on. I don't think anyone considers Europe "not part of the West".
Ok but that is my point. You said “we in the west don’t eat horse today” but horse meat is eaten in many European countries.

But yes there is lots of weird horse stuff in ancient cultures of Europe.

recently I’ve been seeing the diversity of animals in African savannah exhibits. I really want more options for our savannahs. Elands, kudus, Dama gazelles, impalas, ankole cattle, hartebeest, black rhinos, just to name the vast ungulate options I’d love. These alongside birds like Guinea fowl, grey crowned cranes, marabou storks, and secretary birds would really make our savannahs come to life.

I know most players don’t particularly love African ungulates and there are definitely other animals that have priority but I find myself starting to get bored of the same options and wanting more diversity and options for our safari exhibits

It's really interesting how split the community seems to be on African antelopes/safari animals. There's the probably larger group that thinks we already have 50 antelope and couldn't bear to look at another one, and then there's the other group (which I subscribe to) that thinks that the safari setups always feel so same-y given how few options we have once you consider how many species they often hold in real life. I'd absolutely love another 5 or so African antelope (eland or kudu, duiker or dik-dik, blue wildebeest, impala, bontebok... I mean ideally all of the above and then some lol) and at least 2 safari bird options, but I imagine that a Safari Animal Pack would generally go over very poorly.

That said, is the black rhinoceros really a shared exhibit species? I was under the impression that they're much more aggressive and territorial so they were typically kept alone, and it's (almost?) exclusively white rhinos that you see in mixed exhibits.

Black rhinos a shared exhibit species. Usually no. They have been put in with cheetahs and a few other animals but do best alone. Sanctuaries have even kept them with white rhinos but they really don’t get along. Although much better with other animals the white rhino has injured or killed other community exhibit animals.
AC6E26D5-4C62-4FDA-A1CA-6014F0DAD20A.jpeg

Last edited:
It's really interesting how split the community seems to be on African antelopes/safari animals. There's the probably larger group that thinks we already have 50 antelope and couldn't bear to look at another one, and then there's the other group (which I subscribe to) that thinks that the safari setups always feel so same-y given how few options we have once you consider how many species they often hold in real life. I'd absolutely love another 5 or so African antelope (eland or kudu, duiker or dik-dik, blue wildebeest, impala, bontebok... I mean ideally all of the above and then some lol) and at least 2 safari bird options, but I imagine that a Safari Animal Pack would generally go over very poorly.

That said, is the black rhinoceros really a shared exhibit species? I was under the impression that they're much more aggressive and territorial so they were typically kept alone, and it's (almost?) exclusively white rhinos that you see in mixed exhibits.
Yea black rhinos and secretary birds are usually solitary. I only added them because I really want them in the game.

Bontebok, duikers, and dik diks would be so cool!

I also gotta add Gerenuk! But idk if they’re usually a shared habitat species or not

In Zoo Leipzig the Black Rhino shares a Habitat with cheetahs. And I have heard that there is also a species of monkeys in the habitat (which I unfortunately have not seen).

There's a whole lot of ungulates I still want to see added to the game. Some are from Asia, some from Europe and North America, and some are from Africa. Here's some of my top picks:
1. Greater Kudu. I know that we already have a seemingly endless supply of African antelopes, but the Greater Kudu is very iconic in my opinion and is unique enough from the other African antelopes to warrant an inclusion. I think this species would be a perfect addition to our African safari sections.
2. Muskox. This is one of the last notable arctic species we still need, and we really don't have many caprids currently, so I think these are a must-have in the game.
3. Red Deer. We already have decorations for this species, and I feel like this species would help to give a little bit more European representation. I think the Red Deer embodies the majesty and beauty of ungulates more than any other, and I would be happy to see this species in the game.
4. Black Rhinoceros. This is, in my opinion, the last Rhino we truly need.
5. Dromedary Camel. What's a zoo game without the Dromedary? We also don't have a lot of North African/Middle Eastern animals currently, so I think the Dromedary would help to flesh out that region of the world in the game.
6. Blackbuck. This is a unique-looking antelope from southern Asia, and I think it would help to break the African monopoly on antelope species in PZ currently (as much as I love African antelopes, we need some Asian ones too).
7. Saiga Antelope. These funny-looking antelopes are very unique, bring in a conservation aspect, and are just pretty important to include imo. Another antelope from Asia as well, which is great.
8. Mountain Goat or Bighorn Sheep. While both of these resemble the Dall Sheep in some ways, I just think we need one more caprid from the mountains of North America, since the Dall Sheep is only found very far north and doesn't really represent North America's mountain ranges as a whole.

Honorable Mentions:
Yak
Wapiti/American Elk
A smaller deer, like the Muntjac
Any type of Hartebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Axis Deer
Sika Deer
Giant Eland / Common Eland
Takin
Chamois
Gaur
and many more!

I agree especially with the dromedary and black rhino. The final game would seem weird without them. The red deer also since we have scenery for it.

There's a whole lot of ungulates I still want to see added to the game. Some are from Asia, some from Europe and North America, and some are from Africa. Here's some of my top picks:
1. Greater Kudu. I know that we already have a seemingly endless supply of African antelopes, but the Greater Kudu is very iconic in my opinion and is unique enough from the other African antelopes to warrant an inclusion. I think this species would be a perfect addition to our African safari sections.
2. Muskox. This is one of the last notable arctic species we still need, and we really don't have many caprids currently, so I think these are a must-have in the game.
3. Red Deer. We already have decorations for this species, and I feel like this species would help to give a little bit more European representation. I think the Red Deer embodies the majesty and beauty of ungulates more than any other, and I would be happy to see this species in the game.
5. Dromedary Camel. What's a zoo game without the Dromedary? We also don't have a lot of North African/Middle Eastern animals currently, so I think the Dromedary would help to flesh out that region of the world in the game.
6. Blackbuck. This is a unique-looking antelope from southern Asia, and I think it would help to break the African monopoly on antelope species in PZ currently (as much as I love African antelopes, we need some Asian ones too).
7. Saiga Antelope. These funny-looking antelopes are very unique, bring in a conservation aspect, and are just pretty important to include imo. Another antelope from Asia as well, which is great.
8. Mountain Goat or Bighorn Sheep. While both of these resemble the Dall Sheep in some ways, I just think we need one more caprid from the mountains of North America, since the Dall Sheep is only found very far north and doesn't really represent North America's mountain ranges as a whole.

Honorable Mentions:
Yak
Wapiti/American Elk
Any type of Hartebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Axis Deer
Sika Deer
Takin
Chamois
Gaur
and many more!
Love this list

Honorable Mentions:
Yak
Wapiti/American Elk
Any type of Hartebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Axis Deer
Sika Deer
Takin
Chamois
Gaur
and many more!
Great list. I would buy a pack with these animals in a hartbeat (intentional bad pun mispelling) and not just because of the snufflenose.

If I were rounding it to ten I'd add the Red River Hog (my African areas just fell incompletes without them) and the Japanese Serrow or Golden Takin.

Top Bottom