Ungulate Talk

So we just got two very unexpected choices with the wild Asian water buffalo and the Nile lechwe! I’m so happy some lesser expected ungulates made it in!

Maybe my beloved Nilgai still has a chance after all, even though it stands at only 17 votes on the meta wishlist... I will keep hoping until the end. Really wish to see those guys in the game, as well as Giant Elands, Addax, Scimitar Horned Oryx... When I hear some people say we have enough antelopes, I'm like "dude, we will never have enough antelopes" ☺

Maybe my beloved Nilgai still has a chance after all, even though it stands at only 17 votes on the meta wishlist... I will keep hoping until the end. Really wish to see those guys in the game, as well as Giant Elands, Addax, Scimitar Horned Oryx... When I hear some people say we have enough antelopes, I'm like "dude, we will never have enough antelopes" ☺
Yeah, i mean as long as some iconic antelopes are still missing from the game we'll never have enough antelopes lol

The ones that come to mind are Greater Kudu, Blackbuck, Saiga, impala gerenuk, Blue wildebeest, hartebeest, Addax, Scimitar horned or arabian oryx and some small ungulates such as dik dik, kilpspringers and duikers

Last edited:
Wetlands pack is quite promising. Here's hoping we get ungulates to outweigh the carnivorans like before the DLC
1649798186041.png

Aside from the obvious ungulates like the Przewalski's Horse, Dromedary Camel, and Red River Hog, I'd really like the Roosevelt Elk. We don't have that many North American ungulates, and have you heard their bugling cries? They'd make our zoos sound so much more alive, and on top of that, I also have a personal connection to the species.
Elk’s cries would be so cool to hear in game

Hello everyone! Welcome to my thread on some of the community’s more over looked group of animals, Ungulates!
Besides Africa I genuinely believe there is a underepresentation of ungulates in Planet Zoo! There are a lot of groups to go over so let’s go!

Perrisodactyl minute:

Rhinos:

What we have: We currently have two rhinos one from Asia and one from Africa. Both the Indian and White Rhinoceros are popular in captivity and are the least threatened of all the rhino species. The idea to ad one from each continent is a solid idea form frontier to represent the two forms of rhino (one horned and two horned)

Potential additions: For most of the community two rhinos is enough. I understand that sentiment but I’d really love for the Black Rhino or Sumatran Rhino (preferably both for me) to join the game before we’re done. I just love the more aggressive, smaller and stockier Black Rhinoceros, and the unique and sever endangered Sumatran Rhino

Tapirs:

What we have: We currently have an Asian species in the Malayan Tapirthat doesn’t look like it IRL counterpart) and a South American species in the Bairds Tapir. Solid representation showing the two continents tapirs live in.

Potential Additions: I think we’re good here, once they fix the Malayan Tapir we’ll be golden on Tapirs. Maybe the Brazilian Tapir if we had to have another but I think we’re good

Equines:

What we have: We currently have the Plains Zebra, the most common zebra in captivity. It’s definitely a no brainer to have them so solid pick. Overall really underepre

Potential Additions:
Prezwalskis Horse please! Somali Wild Donkey Please! We need more Equids and these are the first choices for most of us. I wouldn’t even hate the domesticated mustangs.

The Main Event: Artiodactyls!!!!!!!!

Deers:

What we have: We currently have two unique large deer in the Reindeer and Moose and a standard deer in the Fallow Deer. Overall ok representation. The deer chosen are among the most iconic and notewo

Potential Additions: Any smaller deer would be great at this point. A pudu would be cool or a mintjac. I would really love the Père David’s deer. I would also love the Musk Deer to be considered for it’s uniqueness

Antelopes:

What we have: We currently have a ton of African hoofstock to represent the diversity in Savannah and rainforests. We have Sable antelope, black wildebeest, gemsbok, Thompson’s Gazelle, Springbok, Nyala, Bongo, Nile Lechwe, overall good African representation but definitely lacking form other parts of the world.

Potential Additions: There’s a ton of non African Antelope needed. Saiga would be awesome inclusion for uniqueness and awareness. I would love Chiru they’re beautiful. The Scimitar Horned Oryx and Addax are also needed in this roster for a desert antelope. We also need a blackbuck and Nilgai for Indian Diversity. With African species we could use the giant Eland and a hartbeest. I would also love the gerenuk for a unique choice. There are probably many more I’m missing so please leave your suggestions below

Camelids:

What we have: We currently have two domestic camelids from different sides of the world. The Llama for South America and the Bactrian Camel for Asia. Overall this representation is ok with a traditional old world camelid and a new world camelid represented that look completely different.

Potential Additions: ok you know where this is going. Dromedary please. It has so many references in game. Other choices are the guanaco or vicuña but I think the llama dies a good job covering South American camelids.

Suidae:

What we have: We currently have two pigs in the Warthog and North Sulawesi Babirusa. They’re both common in captivity and give us a African and Asian representative. It is the bare minimum of acceptable Suide representation so overall decent job

Potential Additions: A pecarry would be great since they aren’t true pigs. I would also love the red river hog or the wild boar for their looks. I love pigs

Caprids:

What we have: We currently have two caprids one from Europe and one from North America in the Ibex and Dall Sheep respectfully. Overall this representation is still lacking and could use a couple more additions. One for the bare min

Potential Additions: A notable choice is the Markhor for Asia. I would also love the mountain Goat for it’s uniqueness. Also the Takin is really unique and would be amazing for representation I would love love love the musk ox! One of the most unique caprids and an addition for our arctic sections!

Bovids:

What we have: We currently have the African Buffalo, Wild Asian Water Buffalo and American Bison to represent Bovids. Overall this representation is lacking and not truly indicative of the diversity of the group.

Potential Additions: I would love the Guar it’s so big and impressive. The anoa is also really cool and unique. The Yak would add something unique. We need more bovines they’re so impressive.

Others: Hippos are all in game of course , Girafferoidia already has all its species represented maybe just the Masai giraffe or other subspecies, and cetaceans are a controversial topic for another day! (Yes cetaceans are ungulates!)
I would like to have the water chevrotain in the game, it is a great swimmer and can dive into the water and hold its breath for 4 minutes
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5luGVwB453g

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13GQbT2ljxs

Although it would be quite similar to the gazelles we already have in-game, I am increasingly enamoured by the goitered gazelle. Not only would it add an Asian species of antelope (and a threatened one at that), it also has several other advantages:

• Although they can and do live in hot deserts, they are also surprisingly tolerant of the cold; the northern parts of their wild range routinely see snow and their climate tolerance means they are kept in zoos as far north as Helsinki.
  • Here in Europe, they are among the more commonly-kept gazelles - they nearly match the springbok in number of zoos that hold them and are kept in nearly twice as many places as the Thomson's gazelle.
  • They are quite commonly kept in mixed enclosures, especially with camels, which are really the only other Central Asian herbivore available at the moment. I have also seen pictures of enclosures mixing them with onager/kulan, Bactrian wapiti, Arabian oryx and bar-headed goose.

1650393630609.png
1650393573364.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is amazing. Last pack and this haven't been heavily focused on members of Carnivora (actually, no members in the Wetlands pack; it was mostly herbivores or piscivores)

Top Bottom