Ungulate Talk

Hello everyone! Welcome to my thread on some of the community’s more over looked group of animals, Ungulates!
Besides Africa I genuinely believe there is a underepresentation of ungulates in Planet Zoo! There are a lot of groups to go over so let’s go!

Perrisodactyl minute:

Rhinos:

What we have: We currently have two rhinos one from Asia and one from Africa. Both the Indian and White Rhinoceros are popular in captivity and are the least threatened of all the rhino species. The idea to ad one from each continent is a solid idea form frontier to represent the two forms of rhino (one horned and two horned)

Potential additions: For most of the community two rhinos is enough. I understand that sentiment but I’d really love for the Black Rhino or Sumatran Rhino (preferably both for me) to join the game before we’re done. I just love the more aggressive, smaller and stockier Black Rhinoceros, and the unique and sever endangered Sumatran Rhino

Tapirs:

What we have: We currently have an Asian species in the Malayan Tapirthat doesn’t look like it IRL counterpart) and a South American species in the Bairds Tapir. Solid representation showing the two continents tapirs live in.

Potential Additions: I think we’re good here, once they fix the Malayan Tapir we’ll be golden on Tapirs. Maybe the Brazilian Tapir if we had to have another but I think we’re good

Equines:

What we have: We currently have the Plains Zebra, the most common zebra in captivity. It’s definitely a no brainer to have them so solid pick. Overall really underepre

Potential Additions:
Prezwalskis Horse please! Somali Wild Donkey Please! We need more Equids and these are the first choices for most of us. I wouldn’t even hate the domesticated mustangs.

The Main Event: Artiodactyls!!!!!!!!

Deers:

What we have: We currently have two unique large deer in the Reindeer and Moose and a standard deer in the Fallow Deer. Overall ok representation. The deer chosen are among the most iconic and notewo

Potential Additions: Any smaller deer would be great at this point. A pudu would be cool or a mintjac. I would really love the Père David’s deer. I would also love the Musk Deer to be considered for it’s uniqueness

Antelopes:

What we have: We currently have a ton of African hoofstock to represent the diversity in Savannah and rainforests. We have Sable antelope, black wildebeest, gemsbok, Thompson’s Gazelle, Springbok, Nyala, Bongo, Nile Lechwe, overall good African representation but definitely lacking form other parts of the world.

Potential Additions: There’s a ton of non African Antelope needed. Saiga would be awesome inclusion for uniqueness and awareness. I would love Chiru they’re beautiful. The Scimitar Horned Oryx and Addax are also needed in this roster for a desert antelope. We also need a blackbuck and Nilgai for Indian Diversity. With African species we could use the giant Eland and a hartbeest. I would also love the gerenuk for a unique choice. There are probably many more I’m missing so please leave your suggestions below

Camelids:

What we have: We currently have two domestic camelids from different sides of the world. The Llama for South America and the Bactrian Camel for Asia. Overall this representation is ok with a traditional old world camelid and a new world camelid represented that look completely different.

Potential Additions: ok you know where this is going. Dromedary please. It has so many references in game. Other choices are the guanaco or vicuña but I think the llama dies a good job covering South American camelids.

Suidae:

What we have: We currently have two pigs in the Warthog and North Sulawesi Babirusa. They’re both common in captivity and give us a African and Asian representative. It is the bare minimum of acceptable Suide representation so overall decent job

Potential Additions: A pecarry would be great since they aren’t true pigs. I would also love the red river hog or the wild boar for their looks. I love pigs

Caprids:

What we have: We currently have two caprids one from Europe and one from North America in the Ibex and Dall Sheep respectfully. Overall this representation is still lacking and could use a couple more additions. One for the bare min

Potential Additions: A notable choice is the Markhor for Asia. I would also love the mountain Goat for it’s uniqueness. Also the Takin is really unique and would be amazing for representation I would love love love the musk ox! One of the most unique caprids and an addition for our arctic sections!

Bovids:

What we have: We currently have the African Buffalo, Wild Asian Water Buffalo and American Bison to represent Bovids. Overall this representation is lacking and not truly indicative of the diversity of the group.

Potential Additions: I would love the Guar it’s so big and impressive. The anoa is also really cool and unique. The Yak would add something unique. We need more bovines they’re so impressive.

Others: Hippos are all in game of course , Girafferoidia already has all its species represented maybe just the Masai giraffe or other subspecies, and cetaceans are a controversial topic for another day! (Yes cetaceans are ungulates!)
I went over this list, and here is what I think:

Of all of them, the 3 that should be added no matter what are the dromedary camel, the black rhinoceros, and the red deer (because, as we know, they have in-game scenery for them).

Choices that would be heavily used and should be in-game: red river hog, addax, Pére David's deer.

The rest, in my opinion, would be wonderful extras

Along with those you mentioned is think the musk ox, collared peccary, blackbuck, gerenuk, takin, kirk's dik dik, some duiker and the saiga antelope are all pretty unique and would be really nice to see them added to the game.

Rhinos:
Potential additions: Black Rhino or Sumatran Rhino (preferably both for me)

Equines:
Potential Additions: Somali Wild Donkey

Deers:
Potential Additions: Muntjac, Père David’s deer, Eld’s deer

Antelopes:
Potential Additions: Addax, Giant Eland, Blackbuck, Any hartebeest, Dik-dik, Kudu

Camelids:
Potential Additions: dromedary and Vicuña

Suidae:
Potential Additions: red river hog and any peccary

Caprids:
Potential Additions: musky ox, Markhor and golden takin

Bovids:
Potential Additions: Anoa, Banteng, Forest Buffalo

Last edited:
I tend to generate my wishes based on animals I see in my local zoos, and so far the game has done a good job fulfilling those wishes. Right now the ungulates I'm missing are;
- Addax (this one is the most important to me).
- Common waterbuck (second most important).
- Tibetan yak.
- Some domestic breeds (zebu cattle, domestic donkey, pygmy goat, kunekune pig).
- Blackbuck (not at my local zoo, but they have a herd at Hamilton Zoo, or used to).
- Sitatunga (same as the above).
- Dromedary (used to be everywhere in NZ zoos, but not anymore).

My wildcard choices are;
- Sumatran rhinoceros.
- Markhor (was always my favourite ungulate in Zoo Tycoon).
- African wild donkey.
- Red river hog.

Honestly, I think we had a lot of luck in the last few packs.

Rhinos: I personally am happy with the ones we've got. I would only want a black rhino if we get an other year of support.

Tapirs: same as with rhinos, the most common species in zoos seem to be the Lowland tapir, but I just want it if we'll get an other year of support.

Equids: I'm happy with the current roster, a donkey or an other zebra species would be nice to have, but aren't really necessary.

Deers: the current roster isn't bad, I would have loved to see a Père David's deer either on the wetlands or the conservativation pack, so I think it's unlikely that we'll see it in an other pack. The red deer isn't a priority for me. A smaller deer (pudu, tufted deer or muntjac) is the last thing I'm really missing on this section.

Antelopes: I would have preferred an Addax instead of the Scimitar-horned oryx (as they look more distinct from the gemsbock). So the only Antelopes I'm really missing are some Asian representatives. Saiga and Chiru are poorly present in zoos, so I hope that we won't "loose" one spot with these two. Instead of this, I hope for a nilgai a blackbuck or a goitered gazelle.

Camelids: I've actually never seen a dromedary in a zoo, so it's another one that isn't high on my list. Vicuñas would be nice, but also only if we get one more year.

Suids: I'm hoping for a Collared peccary and a red river hog.

Caprids: Definitely a takin! But Musk ox, markhor, bharal, Himalayan tahr and Barbary sheep would be nice and very different from what we have now too.

Bovins: before the water buffalo, I really wanted a gaur and an anoa, nowadays I don't think it's necessary anymore. But a yak would be cool.

Updated the OP! I changed equids to decently represented with the addition of the p horse. I would still love the Somali Wild Donkey though! Are you guys happy with equid representation now?

Pretty much. I like the horse but I was fine with just a zebra anyway.

Although, it's not like I'd ever turn my nose up at more. The African wild donkey isn't an animal I've seen much of but I'd still use it in my zoos.
I agree I really wanted to the P Horse for zoo tycoon nostalgia now that we have it I’m good overall. The Somali Wild Donkey has grown so much to me recently because of how beautiful it is so that’s why I’d like for it to show up but it’s absolutely not necessary

I’d love a kiang more than any other equid but I get that for some people it would be too similar to the Przewalski’s horse.

7935C01A-276A-480C-9CE7-9549C2927B0A.jpeg

I'm happy with any horse addition, but as of right now that'll be a bonus. Even a domestic horse or a feral horse would be nice, but not needed
Agreed. Now that we're finally getting the Przewalksi's Horse, our equine representation is pretty much perfect. I wouldn't complain if we didn't get another equine for the rest of the game's lifespan.

Still a nice animal, nonetheless. Horses and even donkeys are just such beautiful animals, and it's no wonder that some have been domesticated. Too bad we couldn't do zebras
Well, they were domesticated for their use, not their beauty. Zebras could be domesticated, if there was ever a genuine need to do so. The process of domestication is literally just putting time towards generational selective breeding - technically speaking any species can be domesticated, with enough motivation.

Well, they were domesticated for their use, not their beauty. Zebras could be domesticated, if there was ever a genuine need to do so. The process of domestication is literally just putting time towards generational selective breeding - technically speaking any species can be domesticated, with enough motivation.
True. I think it's a mix of both.

In the case of zebras, they just weren't successful, being to aggressive to truly domesticate. Some were tamed, but it wasn't enough, and in the end donkeys and horses were chosen.
I believe the moose was another animal that was attempted, but I forget where it was

True. I think it's a mix of both.
It's not. All early domesticates were done for their use - dogs as guards/hunting allies, horses, donkeys, and cattle for transportation, sheep/goats for meat and milk and wool, bees for honey, etc. Beauty only factored into it later, when pets became vanity projects rather than helpers.
In the case of zebras, they just weren't successful
Actually it's just that there was no need for them to be domesticated in Africa. The African peoples that used domesticates already had donkeys from the Middle East and Mediterranean and cattle/sheep through the Saharan trade routes.

being to aggressive to truly domesticate.
Also, this is a myth. "Aggression" in a species is not a universal trait. Wolves were domesticated and they are apex predators; the key is selectively breeding less aggressive members of a species, such as what happened with the aurochs leading into the domestic cattle, or the water buffalo, or the wild horse.

It's not. All early domesticates were done for their use - dogs as guards/hunting allies, horses, donkeys, and cattle for transportation, sheep/goats for meat and milk and wool, bees for honey, etc. Beauty only factored into it later, when pets became vanity projects rather than helpers.
Oh, right, right.
Actually it's just that there was no need for them to be domesticated in Africa. The African peoples that used domesticates already had donkeys from the Middle East and Mediterranean and cattle/sheep through the Saharan trade routes.
Yes, but I'm sure some people higher up would've preferred a more striking mount, in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I were looking between a gray donkey versus a striking striped horse, I'd choose the latter. But, I guess looks weren't viewed the same way as they are today.
Also, this is a myth. "Aggression" in a species is not a universal trait. Wolves were domesticated and they are apex predators; the key is selectively breeding less aggressive members of a species, such as what happened with the aurochs leading into the domestic
If I remember correctly, I think zebras in particular were aggressive; maybe it meant unresponsive. Maybe the article was wrong.

But also, I just remembered another factor was they can't carry us, as they aren't built to sustain a full grown man

Oh, right, right.

Yes, but I'm sure some people higher up would've preferred a more striking mount, in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I were looking between a gray donkey versus a striking striped horse, I'd choose the latter. But, I guess looks weren't viewed the same way as they are today.
Riding came long after domestication - horses were first domesticated for food.

Oh wow, I had no idea. Interesting. I gotta read some more about it
The reason we in the west don't eat horse today is because the Church outlawed it as a "pagan" practice, since ritual sacrifice of horses and the consumption of their meat was viewed as a Heathen thing. Many of our cultural taboos are hangovers from when the Church had significant influence.
If I remember correctly, I think zebras in particular were aggressive; maybe it meant unresponsive. Maybe the article was wrong.
There have been attempts in the modern era to "domesticate" zebras (mostly during the Darwinian hype of the late 19th Century) but that was also before we had a good understanding of how domestication worked. The Soviet fox experiment was actually leading research into the process.

Fact is any herd animal with a short gestation is perfect for domestication, as it means you can reach your desired results within your own lifetime. Herd animals are great because you can co-opt their natural instincts. Zebras could be domesticated, if there was ever a strong desire to do so, but given that these days all zebras tend to be protected species it's too difficult to get enough of them in one place in order to try it.

Top Bottom