Unknown Artefact (or artifact) Community Thread - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
This thread just makes me think of

[video=youtube;GnqkDbrIfps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqkDbrIfps[/video]

but if this isn't a wild goose chase, then maybe it's time for FD to drop a little something, as apparently we are all not clever enough to solve the riddle. Like any good mystery scatter the clues and work backwards.

I still think it is a teaser for content that is not ready to put ingame yet...perhaps Gamescom will be the next clue....

Last edited:
Quick clarification to @QorbeQ. You may be referring to my comment in one of the first (if not the first) UA videos recorded where I said that the morse present was from the station. That is true. It was one of the first real "full length" videos of a live UA but it was taken not far from a station which normally broadcasts faintly morse for its name. Any video taken in deep space away from an instance with either a nav beacon or a station should not have external morse code and therefore should be used for that sort of analysis. If any morse comes out of that then you're on to something.

If all that checks out then it is safe to assume that, if the UA is of Thargoid origin, then the FFE timeline is respected in that inter-species translator was invented and it is working well giving the UA the ability to properly identify and spell out human navigation coordinates and naming conventions.

I think you want to read the new lore book Out of the Darkness for more on the Oresrians (and other things...), the above may not be as accurate as you think. ;-)
Yea, after mrtree corrected me I went and did some searching, confirmed that myself. Kinda confusing, but oh well. The Dark Wheel was a good read though. :)

I'd like to hear some more opinions on this. I've listened to the sample from Wishblend's stream I posted a short bit back, and also to QorbeQ's, but I'm not convinced the chittering matches with Jmanis' proposed version. Any others?

Here's my tip.

I am no expert at this btw but...

It's stylised (it's possible the stylisation has meaning but let's put that aside).

Ignore the high low pitches you sometimes hear, try to ignore them and just try to concentrate on the length of each sound.

Essentially there are two types of sound, a short quick "dit" and a longer wavering "dash". The problem is I think the pitch is the most obvious thing so it can really throw you off thinking highs/lows.

Sample 1 I've just listened to not knowing what it is. But I'm confident I now know what it is. (I did have a clue though, it's a place that's been mentioned previously although I only noticed that after writing down the morse I thought it was and looking at it).

Last edited:
I remember we got the morse thing after one of us gave the audio to a friend who didn't know anything and his friend (expert in morse) came back after 30 minutes saying it was "stylized morse" and it said "Seega Port"

Look for it, it must be in this threado or the old thread

This thread just makes me think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqkDbrIfps

but if this isn't a wild goose chase, then maybe it's time for FD to drop a little something, as apparently we are all not clever enough to solve the riddle. Like any good mystery scatter the clues and work backwards.

I still think it is a teaser for content that is not ready to put ingame yet...perhaps Gamescom will be the next clue....

It's been a great ride so far.

Something tells me that there's a chance that somewhere along the line, one crazy little overlooked theory has inadvertently got it absolutely right... ;)

I'm not a practiced morse listener, and I couldn't get the full message from any of the samples... but I clearly hear there's a code, it doesn't sound like anything that would be sent by the human made objects in the game (it's clearly organic in nature) and two of the samples sound close enough to convince me (as in, I can translate the message to text that matches about 90% both with each other and with what was expected to be heard). The third one I also couldn't fully translate but it sounds close enough to another name mentioned earlier in the thread (as mentioned by the above poster)

I'm convinced the UA sends out names of locations in morse code in the form of chittering.

Thank you Wishblend.

Here are three audio clips. One is EKURU A 1 from your capture. One is EKURU A 1 created from audio clips. One is NOT EKURU A 1 (although it's not hard to tell what it is).

I've deliberately not labelled them or put them in order. I personally think it's bloody obvious which ones are which, and which two match. Ergo, the created EKURU matches the real EKURU.

http://elite.darke.org.uk/sample_1.mp3

http://elite.darke.org.uk/sample_2.mp3

http://elite.darke.org.uk/sample_3.mp3

I'm having trouble making out the beginnings but sample 1 ends with "port" and samples 2 and 3 end with "a 1" in morse.

ITT: the hearing impaired claiming it's not morse

Here's my tip.

I am no expert at this btw but...

It's stylised (it's possible the stylisation has meaning but let's put that aside).

Ignore the high low pitches you sometimes hear, try to ignore them and just try to concentrate on the length of each sound.

Essentially there are two types of sound, a short quick "dit" and a longer wavering "dash". The problem is I think the pitch is the most obvious thing so it can really throw you off thinking highs/lows.

Sample 1 I've just listened to not knowing what it is. But I'm confident I now know what it is. (I did have a clue though, it's a place that's been mentioned previously although I only noticed that after writing down the morse I thought it was and looking at it).

Has anyone some software, were you can flatten the pitch to a single level, leaving you with just the rhythm?

Okay, I'm expecting the values to be:
Kigaso : 160,729 Cr
HIP 31272 : 161,800 Cr

Let's see how far adrift my calculation is from the figure you see later on mrtree.
I'll give my calculations out AFTER mrtree has given values from those 2 systems. :)

EAGLE 5, I saw that thread and asked the question about using a UA. :)

Welp, theory busted. I jumped to Kigaso (closer to Polaris, should fetch less on the black market). No dice at 174,454 (third cheapest after Azaleach & Peregrina). So it's probably not Polaris. Still odd IMO that Azaleach is the cheapest. I may go back, since it's on the way back to inhabited space & poke around a bit more before heading to Quiness.

price_in_kigaso.jpg

One further reason to doubt Polaris. With the other system permits I've gotten, I couldn't plot a course to that system until I had the permit. Despite the UA in the hold, I still can't plot to Polaris. So I'm abandoning this train of thought & hoping Wishblend is onto something.

Last edited:
First cut with Morse View, and it gets nothing out of any of the three samples. Going to look into its filtering settings and see if I can figure out how they work.

Right - here we go.

First clip - taken from Wishblend's UA sat in EKURU A 1 ... I've trimmed it down to the last bit because it's clearest ... I can hear morse "URU A 1" but - fair enough - some can't.

http://elite.darke.org.uk/unknown_artefact.mp3

Second clip - this is generated from a website which produces clean morse code (deliberately set for a low tone of 300Hz) ... I typed in "EKURU A 1", downloaded the mp3 file and then trimmed the beginning off so this ACTUALLY SAYS "URU A 1" in morse code. No conjecture please. It does.

http://elite.darke.org.uk/real_morse.mp3

Finally, here's the two overlaid with each other. If you guys can't tell that the pulses in the chittering match EXACTLY with the real morse code, then I'll take myself to YouTube and play myself a rickroll...

http://elite.darke.org.uk/overlaid.mp3

Now can we please get on with discussing what it all means!? :D

Last edited:
On another note, I think Wishblend deserves a medal for all her hard work on these experiments.
I've lost count of the number of tests she has successfully performed now without losing the UA.
As I sadly found out myself, it is all too easy to accidentally lose a UA.
Props also to Ratking15 for his efforts as guardian of the 2nd UA.
Can I propose that they are both hailed as 'Custodian' rank from this point forth?
Well then that was a surprise for me o_O all I got was just that I was hogging the thing for myself instead of doing tests on it and paranoid for not moving around....

So much this. A huge thanks to Wishblend & RatKing! That UA literally noms your systems. I'd lose 5% of just about every module flying in normal space for 15 minutes, ~2-4k repair bill upon landing.
I'd like to add on to Wishblend's by saying I have 3 auto-field-maintenance units and I try to aim for outposts as they allow quick entrances and exits while I take no chances with my cargo hatch and check it and the hold when jumping into a system and out if I've not checked it in 1-3 jumps since the last time, this includes jumps to supercruise. Also don't have the units repairing unless your still and safe like over 20 km from a station or charging up your drive as it turns off the units when you do any kind of jump.

have any been taken to the recent plague* outbreak systems?

I don't think any of the recent but in the beginging Redwizzard took it to the major one at the time.

111 of kerrash landing
What are you referring to here?

- - - Updated - - -

Welp, theory busted. I jumped to Kigaso (closer to Polaris, should fetch less on the black market). No dice at 174,454 (third cheapest after Azaleach & Peregrina). So it's probably not Polaris. Still odd IMO that Azaleach is the cheapest. I may go back, since it's on the way back to inhabited space & poke around a bit more before heading to Quiness.

View attachment 49103

One further reason to doubt Polaris. With the other system permits I've gotten, I couldn't plot a course to that system until I had the permit. Despite the UA in the hold, I still can't plot to Polaris. So I'm abandoning this train of thought & hoping Wishblend is onto something.

Can you get ingame and send me a friend request? My ingame name is the same as my forum name, I'd like to chat.

PS I think they know where I am:h9tBS36.jpg

Last edited:
Right this took me ages, gonna move on from trying to convince people from here on.

This is the audio mentioned here : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=162998&p=2506927&viewfull=1#post2506927

You can almost SEE the dots and dashes. Ignore pitch, dots are a short brief sound, dashes a sort of wavering sound.

The black lines are to indicate spaces between letters, the big black block space between words.

Seega.png

morse_tree.jpg

And unless I've completely misheard this one, the answer is the place one UA was discovered!

Last edited:
I was particularly sceptical about the Morse angle, since an early sample did indeed contain a station's own Morse signal in the background.

I then listened through the Ross sample and, I have to say, I find it absolutely compelling. The more I listen, the less doubt I have that it is what Qorbeq et al have said. I am fully aware of the fact that if you look hard enough for something, you'll find it wherever you look, but for me the evidence is strong enough to accept it as fact, now.

But it's not stylised Morse - it's corrupted, like each tone is garbled (modulated) - but the garbling is consistent, and by examining the lengths of them, it's reasonably easy to discriminate a dit from a dah.

That's not to say it's easy - heck no - but anyone with reasonable hearing, a bit of patience and a keen finger on the pause button should be able to figure it out.

Scepticism is good, but I think we now need to be moving on to why it makes this sound, what else there is in the sound (if anything), and whether the object has any other physical function that makes it worth shipping in a well-defended navy convoy.

And now (even though it's time consuming) ... here's the very first sounds we had. Seega Port from RedWizzard's release.

Firstly, the sound from the UA itself. Nothing clipped. This says "SEEGA PORT". Really it does.

http://elite.darke.org.uk/seega_port.mp3

Secondly, real actual morse code saying "SEEGA PORT".

http://elite.darke.org.uk/seega_morse.mp3

Finally, overlaid.

http://elite.darke.org.uk/seega_overlaid.mp3

Again - quit the "is it isn't it" stuff. Yes, there's morse.

There are three audio portions. The HONK (the big loud thing that sounds like a disco scanner going off), the CHITTERING where the morse is (you know very well what that sounds like by now) and then the PURRS, the long slow rumbles which have higher and lower pitches. We've nailed what's going on with the chittering now. It's deliberately-noisy morse code for the nearest celestial object/station/whatnot.

Now the questions are

HONKS: Any meaning? Is it a scanner going off?
CHITTERING: Why morse? Why nearest object? Scanner results?
PURRS: Any meaning or just an idle state?
UNKNOWN ARTEFACT: What the hell is it...

Last edited:
I was particularly sceptical about the Morse angle, since an early sample did indeed contain a station's own Morse signal in the background.

I then listened through the Ross sample and, I have to say, I find it absolutely compelling. The more I listen, the less doubt I have that it is what Qorbeq et al have said. I am fully aware of the fact that if you look hard enough for something, you'll find it wherever you look, but for me the evidence is strong enough to accept it as fact, now.

But it's not stylised Morse - it's corrupted, like each tone is garbled (modulated) - but the garbling is consistent, and by examining the lengths of them, it's reasonably easy to discriminate a dit from a dah.

That's not to say it's easy - heck no - but anyone with reasonable hearing, a bit of patience and a keen finger on the pause button should be able to figure it out.

Scepticism is good, but I think we now need to be moving on to why it makes this sound, what else there is in the sound (if anything), and whether the object has any other physical function that makes it worth shipping in a well-defended navy convoy.

Corrupted or perhaps tuned for a particular environment different than what we are used to... much like in Star Trek IV the probe sound being remodulated for underwater reception.

OorbeQ, was Sample 2 (your baseline real morse sample) the following:

TEST IV

Because that is what Morse View gets out of it. Still fiddling with frequency and filtering settings, this is the only solid result from that sample so far. Want to make sure the baseline works properly before I try the other two samples.

Edit: Can get nothing like "URU A 1" out of it no matter how I sample or filter, so either his software is borked, or your Morse generator has generated it at an odd waveform frequency (or at a WPM rate or with odd word seperators or something) that it does not recognize. Edit: Or of course I just don't know what I am doing, which is more likely to be the case.

Last edited:
OorbeQ, was Sample 2 (your baseline real morse sample) the following:

TEST IV

Because that is what Morse View gets out of it. Still fiddling with frequency and filtering settings, this is the only solid result from that sample so far. Want to make sure the baseline works properly before I try the other two samples.

No. And I've given up trying to get morse code analysers to pick it out as it's too similar to the surrounding noises for them to work properly. However, check out the samples I've listed above. I'm hopeful that they'll persuade you.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom