Update 1 and Early Cretaceous Pack coming 9 December to Jurassic World Evolution 2

What "problem" do they have with it? What's wrong with playing the game to earn things to use at your leisure?
"At your leisure" implies they consider playing those game modes leisure. There is a pretty huge sandbox playerbase, which I am not a part of, who simply want sandbox to be open to them without having to slog through numerous, frankly quite boring and tedious game modes. Especially to them, many of these game modes are agonizing. In the end for those who have to unlock everything in the game so they can play the only game mode they actually want to play it becomes a several dozen hour slogfest of not actually enjoying what youre playing but trying to rush through everything else just so you get to play the game the way you want. This in itself creates a negative connotation and will turn many people off. The more you have to force the player to do something before the fun begins, the less likely they are to stick around. How many forced, handholding tutorials do you enjoy? How about making those several dozen hours long before they even let you actually have any real freedom in what you want to do? Thats sortof what it feels like to those people. I had a glimpse of this feeling while I wrongly believed I would have the option to play Sandbox with progression because Challenge was essentially gutted. It was ****ing dreadful. It did NOT make me enjoy anything about the game, I did not stop to enjoy then ew behaviours, models or animations, I just wanted it done with so I can enjoy those at my own pace in a mode that allowed me actual freedom and didnt force me through hoops and restrictions.

"At your leisure" implies they consider playing those game modes leisure. There is a pretty huge sandbox playerbase, which I am not a part of, who simply want sandbox to be open to them without having to slog through numerous, frankly quite boring and tedious game modes. Especially to them, many of these game modes are agonizing. In the end for those who have to unlock everything in the game so they can play the only game mode they actually want to play it becomes a several dozen hour slogfest of not actually enjoying what youre playing but trying to rush through everything else just so you get to play the game the way you want. This in itself creates a negative connotation and will turn many people off. The more you have to force the player to do something before the fun begins, the less likely they are to stick around. How many forced, handholding tutorials do you enjoy? How about making those several dozen hours long before they even let you actually have any real freedom in what you want to do? Thats sortof what it feels like to those people. I had a glimpse of this feeling while I wrongly believed I would have the option to play Sandbox with progression because Challenge was essentially gutted. It was ****ing dreadful. It did NOT make me enjoy anything about the game, I did not stop to enjoy then ew behaviours, models or animations, I just wanted it done with so I can enjoy those at my own pace in a mode that allowed me actual freedom and didnt force me through hoops and restrictions.
So, what you're saying is you want it all, you want it all, you want it all, and you want it now.

Well... it is a videogame... last I checked we play those to have fun, not feel a sense of accomplishment...
Well, that is just plain wrong because you definitely can have fun while also have a sense of accomplishment, that's the whole reason why so many of us want the option to have progression in sandbox mode as well. For many people there is no fun at all in playing something without that progression and accomplishment in, it's just plain boring to us, though that also doesn't mean we wanna be limited and restricted at every curve.

Point is park builder games should offer something for both of these groups, which are also the major part of their player base, to keep them happy and coming back so the product and future content for it sells. And let's face it ATM JWE2 falls very short in regard to both of those groups.

The players who just want to have fun building with no economy and all that have to grind through THREE different modes for hours to unlock everything before they can even think about opening sandbox and begin to play there. So that makes about one half of the players unhappy and unlikely to come back and open the game again because there's just such a massive road block in their way.

The other part of the players, to which I myself belong to, want to play the game whith everything it has to offer IN ONE MAP. We want to build our parks from the ground up, work our way to those 5 stars and research, dig up and unlock everything that's in the game in the process of doing so. No restrictions put on anything like dino rosters and buildings, costs etc. just the game with all its mechanics available, but we also don't want it handed to us from the get go because there's just no fun in that for us, it's just boring. And this part of the player base now sits here, has completed everything already and simply doesn't know what to do anymore because there's not a single mode where we can simply do that without any stupid restrictions holding us back. So long story short: the game with its current modes holds no appeal for us anymore and we're not likely to go back to it or buy new content.

So all in all you can say the game with it's current sandbox approach holds little to no appeal and replayability for two major groups of the playerbase and it needs a serious overhaul if they want people coming back to play and buy new content. And as has been said soooo many times before there's such a tiny simple solution to this whole problem that'd make both thesse groups happy: have everything in sandbox unlocked by default and add two options in the beginning where the player decides whether or not they want research and genomes 100% complete already. Those who just want to dive in and build can do that and are happy and those of us who want to manage and grow our park with everything there is in the process get to do that as well. Simple as that, everyone's happy and way more likely to buy dlc as well, win-win.

Last edited:
Well, that is just plain wrong because you definitely can have fun while also have a sense of accomplishment, that's the whole reason why so many of us want the option to have progression in sandbox mode as well. For many people there is no fun at all in playing something without that progression and accomplishment in, it's just plain boring to us, though that also doesn't mean we wanna be limited and restricted at every curve.

Point is park builder games should offer something for both of these groups, which are also the major part of their player base, to keep them happy and coming back so the product and future content for it sells. And let's face it ATM JWE2 falls very short in regard to both of those groups.

The players who just want to have fun building with no economy and all that have to grind through THREE different modes for hours to unlock everything before they can even think about opening sandbox and begin to play there. So that makes about one half of the playerrs unhappy and unlikely to come back and open the game again because there's just such a massive road block in their way.

The other part of the players, to which I myself belong to, want to play the game whith everything it has to offer IN ONE MAP. We want to build our parks from the ground up, work our way to those 5 stars and research, dig up and unlock everything that's in the game in the process of doing so. No restrictions put on anything like dino rosters and buildings, costs etc. just the game with all its mechanics available, but we also don't want it handed to us from the get go because there's just no fun in that for us, it's just boring. And this part of the player base now sits here, has completed everything already and simply doesn't know what to do anymore because there's not a single mode where we can simply do that without any stupid restrictions holding us back. So long story short: the game with its current modes holds no appeal for us anymore and we're not likely to go back to it or buy new content.

So all in all you can say the game with it's current sandbox approach holds little to no appeal and replayability for two major groups of the playerbase and it needs a serious overhaul if they want people coming back to play and buy new content. And as has been said soooo many times before there's such a tiny simple solution to this whole problem that'd make both thesse groups happy: have everything in sandbox unlocked by default and add two options in the beginning where the player decides whether or not they want research and genomes 100% complete already. Those who just want to dive in and build can do that and are happy and those of us who want to manage and grow our park with everything there is in the process get to do that as well. Simple as that, everyone's happy and way more likely to buy dlc as well, win-win.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

I'm just bewildered by the fact this happened twice. There were several years of feedback and complaints and one botched launch and then they managed to somehow do the same set of mistakes all over again like noone learned anything in regards to game modes.

Well... it is a videogame... last I checked we play those to have fun, not feel a sense of accomplishment...
Fun is subjective. Some people think ************************************************************************************* is fun. Others like to play games :p Objectively speaking the senseo f accomplishment is paramount to almost all forms of gaming, people just get it through different means. Perhaps not everyone needs it, but would you say that building a beautiful park in perfect no restrictions sandbox doesnt grant you a sense of accomplishment? Other people like to actually overcome the challenges that come with actually having to manage the economy and earn the things you get.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Love these new free features!
Thanks!
Is the JP3 Pteranodon coming with the JP aviary?
They look good, don't they?
_50-17-screenshot.jpg

I have a question about the update. Would we be able to turn off combat totally for all dinosaurs on Sandbox? Could different carnivores and different herbivores be able to be put in one big enclosure without them killing each other?
Yes, you'll be able to turn off combat in Sandbox Mode after this update
The one I really want but doubt will happen is the ability to have the cosmetic gene be randomly picked from all unlocked skins/patterns for each individual egg. We should be able to have every dino looking different and unique without having to breed each one individually, especially now that the creation process has been dragged out and split into two steps.
👀 Interesting!
After this uupdate Which of these problems and challenges will be resolved? So that my friend can play the game again and have fun.
If you missed the original post, there's a short list of some of the top level changes and additions. We'll roll out the full set of patch notes on release day.
Will we get to have a look at the JP aviaries and lagoons before the update? I am particularly curious about what the lagoon viewing stations will look like.
Sure thing!
Lagoon_Aviary_WM_960x540.jpg

I hope this is still possible with JWE2 cause that's how JP worked in the movies. It would be kind of hard to build an authentic JP if the guests can't see the dinosaurs through the fences while in the tour vehicles.
As far as I'm aware, this is how it works.
But..... is it JUST the buildings? Or are we going to properly get the DFW staff and vehicle skins added as well?

Also I think there should be another option to have EVERY kind of person mixed in. Guests, JP staff, JW staff, DFW staff, and DPG staff. I mean at least on PC we can totally mix up the buildings so why not the guests too?
DFW staff and vehicle skins will be available as well. :) You won't be able to mix all guests, but I'll suggest it to the devs!
So will the new dinos, buildings etc., be available immediately for sandbox for existingsave files? I've got a nice park I've been working on and would only need to replace the aviaries and lagoons with the JP versions, would really like to not have to rebuild it.
The DLC dinosaurs/reptiles will be available immediately after installation, but the Sandbox Maps are tied to campaign progression, so you'll have to have finished the campaign to get access to them all. As far as I'm aware you won't have to rebuild your JP park.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

I'm just bewildered by the fact this happened twice. There were several years of feedback and complaints and one botched launch and then they managed to somehow do the same set of mistakes all over again like noone learned anything in regards to game modes.
Just saying, if absolutely everything is available right at the start then there's no point to having any other mode, because why bother doing them? It's like playing Sonic 3 and you start at Big Arm with all seven Chaos Emeralds and fifty Rings.

Just saying, if absolutely everything is available right at the start then there's no point to having any other mode, because why bother doing them? It's like playing Sonic 3 and you start at Big Arm with all seven Chaos Emeralds and fifty Rings.

Really? I literally laid it all out for you again, why no one in these two major player groups is happy with the current sandbox mode and you still don't see it?

Okay one last time: the point of different modes is to cater to different player groups, that is why these games need several modes or one mode that offers all the options at once, because otherwise people won't be happy and don't come back to buy more. But what JWE2 does (again) is lock one group of players out of the very mode that is kinda designed for them from the get go unless they force themsleves to play a mode they have no interest in (if they even get the game in the first place that is). That'd be the sandbox players who don't care about progress and just want to build.

The other group wants that progression while building, hence the need for challenge modes. Now what the game does with this though, is put a ton of restrictions on that at every corner, meaning it looses a whole lot of appeal to those players as well. That is why we want a mode without any restrictions put on it where we can still progress and unlock stuff but get everything in the very late game. But that is also not possible right now, which again brings us back to more options for sandbox so everyone can have fun while playing.

Really don't see what's so hard to understand there. Some want everything unlocked from the start, so give them that option. Others want to unlock stuff without being restricted in any way. Great! Give them that option as well and everyone is happy as opposed to what we have now, where almost everyone is forced into playing something they don't really wanna play at all.

Thanks!

View attachment 278855

👀 Interesting!

If you missed the original post, there's a short list of some of the top level changes and additions. We'll roll out the full set of patch notes on release day.

Sure thing!
View attachment 278857

DFW staff and vehicle skins will be available as well. :) You won't be able to mix all guests, but I'll suggest it to the devs!

The DLC dinosaurs/reptiles will be available immediately after installation, but the Sandbox Maps are tied to campaign progression, so you'll have to have finished the campaign to get access to them all. As far as I'm aware you won't have to rebuild your JP park.
From what I understand Jen, that is you in the video. During that video you called the pteranodons the JP 1997 variants. Will the '97 pteranodons be included in this update as well? Hoping so since I actually like those models slightly more.

Thanks!

View attachment 278855

👀 Interesting!

Sure thing!
View attachment 278857

Will turning off combat disable dinos ability to hunt goats? That is something that annoyed me in the first game. I still want my carnivores to hunt goats, I just don't want them attacking other dinos. Also, will large theropods still be able to harm sauropods? I think it is tolerable that the T. rex would do so since it has a powerful bite that can inflict serious damage in one bite, but aside from the Indominus nothing else should even be trying to take down a fully grown sauropod!

Last edited:
Hey Nioell!

We don't have anything to announce about these features.

We're adding in DFW buildings for Sandbox, so you could say we're adding in a new "era" in this update. Though "theme" or "building set" would be more accurate.

Wait and see... ;)
Era actually would be a new era...from a certain point of view! DFW would be after the fall of Jurassic World, a new era in which dinosaurs are now free roaming across the glode.

Will the issue with dinosaurs not coming out of the hatcheries be fixed. Just appearing out after 10 seconds? Or the flying fish from the lagoon feeders?

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
From what I understand Jen, that is you in the video. During that video you called the pteranodons the JP 1997 variants. Will the '97 pteranodons be included in this update as well? Hoping so since I actually like those models slightly more.
I was referring specifically to the Pteranodons I showed on stream. I called them that because that's what the skin is named in-game.

Top Bottom