Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

I've never tried jumping from a neutron star and I'd be afraid I'd cook myself in the process...

Also I didn't engineer my Anaconda to be a pure exploration ship, making it more of a combat/mission running ship with decent jump range, while I didn't strip it to the bones for max jump range either.

I'm still carrying a class four shield, two SRV modules and a full set of weapons, "just in case", so it "only" gets 37 light years with extra fuel tanks (current) range and 38.5 unladen jump range right now - which is still my longest jumping ship :) .

I "only" have 210 jumps back, if I can find the time to play the game enough, I MIGHT make it in a week, but if I don't, I don't :D .
I've honestly had a few troubled times using the neutron highway... one time I got a bad route from the route manager and ended up making more jumps than if I did it normal... another time I entered the cone a little too rushed and by the time I finished fixing all my damage then finally getting to my location to repair the rest of the damage, I regretted the entire trip.

I have a lot of extras on mine too, and my mining gear might equal out to the same weight as your guns.... I'm also not using any guardian FSD but still getting pretty decent range (little over 50ly). Don't know if it would help any but here's my build... If you swap out your fuel tanks for fuel scoop it will give extra range cause fuel scoops have no weight, a good scoop fills fast and you never have to stop for gas...
https://s.orbis.zone/jy6r

Last edited:
I've taken it a few times, like most things in ED it kills either through ignorance or placitude, that is to say it kills through messing up. Not my meaning to tell anyone they suck, but once you know what you are doing, the neutron highway is as safe as any other thing in this game, or maybe even safer..

I've taken it a few times, like most things in ED it kills either through ignorance or placitude, that is to say it kills through messing up. Not my meaning to tell anyone they suck, but once you know what you are doing, the neutron highway is as safe as any other thing in this game, or maybe even safer..
lol, also don't do like I did my first time trying to charge my fsd in the cone with no fuel scoop till I was down to 20% hull wondering why it's not charging.

I think the server update is scheduled 08:00-11:00 UTC so absolutely nothing is happening till afternoon except checking when we can download the patch...
Yep,
Servers down Tuesday 9:00 to 13:00 BST (8:00 to 12:00 UTC), then, on logging in, a further download and install time of anything from 15mins to 4 hours before you can start playing.

"So we'll fix the NPC faces not showing in the comms panel bug but we'll make all ADC cutters pitch 90 degrees on the way through the mailslot, everyone agree?"
Geforce now Will get alot of users.. It got way better and runs on Xbox native with Xbox web browser and controller...
Fibre support in towns has come a long way since 2017... So many who were on DSL now have discounted Fibre ISP now were there was none... and access is not a monopoly so the prices are Lower when you can pick who the access provider is...
You dont need A modern PC but anything that can run chrome. so most PCs from 2010 CPU and GPU will work fine with geforce now...
Some modern televisons have a native Nvidia Geforce Now app which gives a near console like gaming environmemt for playing Elite Dangerous

I've honestly had a few troubled times using the neutron highway... one time I got a bad route from the route manager and ended up making more jumps than if I did it normal... another time I entered the cone a little too rushed and by the time I finished fixing all my damage then finally getting to my location to repair the rest of the damage, I regretted the entire trip.

I have a lot of extras on mine too, and my mining gear might equal out to the same weight as your guns.... I'm also not using any guardian FSD but still getting pretty decent range (little over 50ly). Don't know if it would help any but here's my build... If you swap out your fuel tanks for fuel scoop it will give extra range cause fuel scoops have no weight, a good scoop fills fast and you never have to stop for gas...
https://s.orbis.zone/jy6r
Of course I've got a fuel scoop or I wouldn't get too far "into the black"!

As for extra fuel tanks, sure 90% of the time you don't need them, but you're very thankful for them when you come across 6-8+ brown dwarfs (or Tauri stars) in a row, when the ship can only jump four or five times on it's own! (now it's jumping 8-10 times) :D .

Anyway I can and will refine my build and do more engineering, but I'm out here now as I am :) .

Whether a CG is boring or not is entirely subjective to your own feelings towards them.
Everything I post is subjective. Well except for the scientifically-provable fact that Space Engineers and X4 Foundations are better games than Elite Dangerous :p

(Actually, I don't believe that, but some people androids around here can't process humor. Those games objectively do some things better than Elite, and I'd love Frontier to "borrow" those things, but Elite is obviously the objective winner when it comes to things like the Stellar Forge.)

As for the CGs in 3.8, personally I think that some will be, but (possibly) the majority not, with those being 4.0 specific. That is, after all, the primary reason FDev have given for the move to add a 4.0 version of Horizons.
What confuses me here is that there is very little new spaceship-related gameplay in Odyssey that's not already in Horizons, so I don't see why the majority of CGs would shift to being client 4.0 depended. Sure there will some weeks where the CG is ground-based (I'm sincerely looking forward to what those CGs are, as it has the potential to lure me to Odyssey), but any cargo-hauling or ship-based bounty hunting should remain available on all clients and platforms, unless there's some under-the-hood change to CGs that has yet to be activated.

Everything I post is subjective. Well except for the scientifically-provable fact that Space Engineers and X4 Foundations are better games than Elite Dangerous :p

(Actually, I don't believe that, but some people androids around here can't process humor. Those games objectively do some things better than Elite, and I'd love Frontier to "borrow" those things, but Elite is obviously the objective winner when it comes to things like the Stellar Forge.)

What confuses me here is that there is very little new spaceship-related gameplay in Odyssey that's not already in Horizons, so I don't see why the majority of CGs would shift to being client 4.0 depended. Sure there will some weeks where the CG is ground-based (I'm sincerely looking forward to what those CGs are, as it has the potential to lure me to Odyssey), but any cargo-hauling or ship-based bounty hunting should remain available on all clients and platforms, unless there's some under-the-hood change to CGs that has yet to be activated.
I love the older X games, in particular X3 Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude and really the only thing wrong with them is that they're not on Playstation! (They're about the only reason I even have a gaming capable PC and just about worth the effort necessary to play any games on PC - aside from them, the only other PC game I really play is Age of Empires III, even though I bought around 20 PC games).

My PC will only just run Rebirth, I tried it once or twice, but didn't like the drastic changes they made and never went back to it, while I doubt X4 would run on my PC.

But anyway, Egosoft have done some amazing things with the X series and I wish the series was more popular and in particular, on Playstation! :D .

Edit - On MAG, indeed it was great in its' early days, it's a pity the devs didn't really build on it, adding little to keep people's interest after the first year or so.
(It's was also annoying how imbalanced many of the maps and in particular factions were.)

But in indeed I have some great memories of playing that game, with its' officer systems and separate radio channels being brilliant! :D .

Last edited:
I love the older X games, in particular X3 Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude and really the only thing wrong with them is that they're not on Playstation! (They're about the only reason I even have a gaming capable PC and just about worth the effort necessary to play any games on PC - aside from them, the only other PC game I really play is Age of Empires III, even though I bought around 20 PC games).

My PC will only just run Rebirth, I tried it once or twice, but didn't like the drastic changes they made and never went back to it, while I doubt X4 would run on my PC.

But anyway, Egosoft have done some amazing things with the X series and I wish the series was more popular and in particular, on Playstation! :D .
I get in trouble if I "promote" other games too much, but usually my thinking is NOT "I want Elite to die and these other games to win!" but rather, "It sure would be nice if Elite borrowed the best bits of these games to improve itself." And that works both ways, because when I'm playing X4 or Space Engineers, I'm often missing and wishing for Elite's excellently-modeled solar system mechanics. And ironically, I get shouted down just as much on an X4 forum when I suggest adding Elite's solar system mechanics as I do here when I suggest adding X4's economic simulator. Everyone everywhere is very protective of their favorite games, LOL.

What's their reasoning though?
I can't find the exact comments now (it's been awhile), but the basic tone is, "It's fine the way it is" and "X4 is not that kind of game", oh and also the cliche, smug, "Nah."

I didn't even suggest a full-blown Kepler model like Elite has, I would have been happy with faked planet rotation / revolution. Having spent a lot of time in one particular system, it becomes painfully clear that X4's skyboxes are just that - a painted (using some animated elements, sure) "static" backdrop where sun, planets, and stars never move in relation to each other.

Give me X4's gameplay in Elite's galaxy, and I'd probably die in my chair playing that game, LOL. Throw in some gameplay from Space Engineers (ship interiors, simple base-building, and damage models), and I'd keep playing that game even after I die! But until then, I'll just keep bouncing back and forth between the three.

Yep,
Servers down Tuesday 9:00 to 13:00 BST (8:00 to 12:00 UTC), then, on logging in, a further download and install time of anything from 15mins to 4 hours before you can start playing.
4 hours? At 8Mbps which seems to be the standard speed for my part of the country it can take 10+ hours for most of the FDev updates.

At 8Mbps which seems to be the standard speed for my part of the country it can take 10+ hours for most of the FDev updates.
big-oof-size.gif

the game is far from perfect, please finish minor ugliness of the interface, for example, the mobs at the stations are stupid and the stations are updated by relog. Bought the game 2 weeks ago. sorry for the money spent. (

the game is far from perfect, please finish minor ugliness of the interface, for example, the mobs at the stations are stupid and the stations are updated by relog. Bought the game 2 weeks ago. sorry for the money spent. (
It could have been worse, you could have pledged to CIG...
(I already did, so am speaking from experience!)

Yeah, this is what I don't get either. Unless they are planing to add some new mechanic or background 'feature' that isn't in the game at the moment, and that is the reason 4.0 will be required (as it won't work on 3.8 or something). Hmm, didn't they say there was going to be some feature added in U14? Or was that just whats coming in '23?

Still, whatever it is that requires 4.0, it won't be on-foot based, otherwise Horizons 4.0 won't be able to use it (because that's an Odyssey 'feature').

even why there are representatives of all factions at the stations. you need to make sure that only representatives of 1 faction are at the station in order to take missions from them. some nonsense. run around the station and look for the right representative

Last edited:
It could have been worse, you could have pledged to CIG...
(I already did, so am speaking from experience!)
Haha! Yeah I did that too. Pledged a bit of cash to back Star Citizen, played it a couple of times, and got fed up of the bugs. At the time, and this is a couple of years ago, it made Elite look highly polished! 😆

Did you see that Yamiks did a FPS 'review' for on-foot combat in SC the other day? While I've not watched it, I got the impression it's worse than Odyssey's! 🤦‍♂️

even why there are representatives of all factions at the stations. you need to make sure that only representatives of 1 faction are at the station in order to take missions from them. some nonsense. run around the station and look for the right representative
You can go to the computer terminals and select on-foot missions from there too. You can select which factions are listed, just like in the ship mission board, so you don't have to run around looking.

Top Bottom