Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

I've never tried jumping from a neutron star and I'd be afraid I'd cook myself in the process...
Is it time again?
dZORkzj.jpg

You will need a scoop (d'oh!) and highly recommended is to have an AFMU - Neutron charging takes ~1..2% intergrity out of your FSD per charged jump. If you set your route plotter to use neutron boosts (and add non-main sequence stars to your start class selection), then the plotter will do a reasonable good job of running you along Neutron stars, with a scopping option thrown in every few jumps - provided there are enough Neutrons around your route. For the location of the Neutron Fields, check out this (old) post.
Besides refuelling, you should also stop to repair your FSD when the integrity hits ~80%. Below that, the risk of your FSD failing starts to increase. And an FSD failure while you're inside the cone is usually fatal.

If you start it nice and slow, you won't exceed ~twice your non-boosted average speed. But after the first couple of dozen, that'll pick up and you can make around three times your average unboosted speed.

even why there are representatives of all factions at the stations. you need to make sure that only representatives of 1 faction are at the station in order to take missions from them. some nonsense. run around the station and look for the right representative
The same faction NPC is always in the same place in the same station. So if you only want one faction, only go to that NPC.

Why you would want only missions from 1 faction? That would be less choice. You need access to all factions so that even if a faction doesn't control any locations you can still support them and overthrow the oppressors. You will see after you have played a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is what I don't get either. Unless they are planing to add some new mechanic or background 'feature' that isn't in the game at the moment, and that is the reason 4.0 will be required (as it won't work on 3.8 or something). Hmm, didn't they say there was going to be some feature added in U14? Or was that just whats coming in '23?

Still, whatever it is that requires 4.0, it won't be on-foot based, otherwise Horizons 4.0 won't be able to use it (because that's an Odyssey 'feature').
With the addition of the Scorpion for v4.0 Horizons players, I wonder if on foot CZs on non atmo worlds would open up for use for those players or if there will be no reason for those players to engage in using the scorp at all or for anything more than PvP/multiplayer shenanigans.

With the addition of the Scorpion for v4.0 Horizons players, I wonder if on foot CZs on non atmo worlds would open up for use for those players or if there will be no reason for those players to engage in using the scorp at all or for anything more than PvP/multiplayer shenanigans.
if you don't need the wave scanner, or the extra cargo space, the scorpion is alot better driving

4 hours? At 8Mbps which seems to be the standard speed for my part of the country it can take 10+ hours for most of the FDev updates.
I was going to add that this is why there will probably be no 'event' on Tuesday as most people will still be downloading and installing when FDev closes at 17:00 BST (not everyone has superfast fibre broadband).
So The Event will probably be (start on?) Wednesday or Thursday, supposing Update13 doesn't introduce too many bugs, which need sorting out beforehand!!!!

So The Event will probably be (start on?) Wednesday or Thursday, supposing Update13 doesn't introduce too many bugs, which need sorting out beforehand!!!!
All of the propoganda indicates Tuesday will be the conclusion of the saga, which is very brave!

even why there are representatives of all factions at the stations. you need to make sure that only representatives of 1 faction are at the station in order to take missions from them. some nonsense. run around the station and look for the right representative
If you wish to provide your services to only a single faction, visiting a surface settlement controlled by that faction will provide missions solely for them.

if you don't need the wave scanner, or the extra cargo space, the scorpion is alot better driving
So what WOULD it be good for though? If one can't do ground CZs...

Its is slow and steady and can't find Horizons Mats. Not sure what the racing possibilities are.

It can shoot ships.

But then v4.0 Horizons will have access to land/drive at Ody settlements on non atmo worlds.

So 🤷‍♂️

So what WOULD it be good for though? If one can't do ground CZs...
Also pretty good as an exobiology vehicle on ice worlds, but again that's not much use if you can't get out.

Might be better for mission POIs and tip-off sites on ice worlds - at least initially clearing out defence, then switch to the scarab to get the loot

Also pretty good as an exobiology vehicle on ice worlds, but again that's not much use if you can't get out.

Might be better for mission POIs and tip-off sites on ice worlds - at least initially clearing out defence, then switch to the scarab to get the loot
Oh yes, I did use one at a Horizons settlement once to get some mission data. Shields held up well and I was able to shoot/rocket at the ship that chased me as I "escaped"...fun times...

Is there a pool going on when they announce that the update is delayed? I’ll say delayed until Thursday (assuming they don’t have one of those unexpected holidays that pop up out of nowhere). Feeling generous tonight lol

I blame those see-through floors for Odyssey's bad performance. I'd also hate to be the janitor who has to clean all the dust that falls through the grates onto the pipes below. Though if enough people drop their change down there, maybe the "tips" will make it worth the janitor's extra work.

Also, nothing like grating to show off a game's anti-aliasing (or lack thereof). There's a reason people are usually dissuaded from wearing stripped shirts when doing TV interviews.
Actually, I had bad graphics settings, plus I don't do super 4k or 8k resolutions. This is plain old 1080p.

I just realised I could remove the FSR setting altogether as I have a decent enough card to do super-sampling. This greatly reduces the jaggies and settles one of my pet niggles regarding Fleet Carrier twinkly lights. They no longer twinkle.

Is it time again?
dZORkzj.jpg

You will need a scoop (d'oh!) and highly recommended is to have an AFMU - Neutron charging takes ~1..2% intergrity out of your FSD per charged jump. If you set your route plotter to use neutron boosts (and add non-main sequence stars to your start class selection), then the plotter will do a reasonable good job of running you along Neutron stars, with a scopping option thrown in every few jumps - provided there are enough Neutrons around your route. For the location of the Neutron Fields, check out this (old) post.
Besides refuelling, you should also stop to repair your FSD when the integrity hits ~80%. Below that, the risk of your FSD failing starts to increase. And an FSD failure while you're inside the cone is usually fatal.

If you start it nice and slow, you won't exceed ~twice your non-boosted average speed. But after the first couple of dozen, that'll pick up and you can make around three times your average unboosted speed.
If you're in a hurry, and every second counts, you can also do it like this. Warning! Not for newbies, requires high degrees of timing and gauging distances correctly:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbfc1-oSps

If you're in a hurry, and every second counts, you can also do it like this. Warning! Not for newbies, requires high degrees of timing and gauging distances correctly:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbfc1-oSps
Or you could approach the NS at a 90 deg angle to the jets (+/-) and reach the exclusion zone. From there you can see details on the surface of the little thingy. Don't bring a hot powerplant, but otherwise you'll be fine :alien:

What about cmdrs that have job or wont be able to play at the time of event for other reasons?
Have they said it's specifically a one-off, one-time event? That seems odd, especially with players all over the world. For me, the servers are supposed to come on at 7am and I'm on the east coast of the US, imagine being farther west!

Top Bottom