Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

Haha, yes, no exploding guns here! I did shoot the Bright Sentinel a few times to see if I could wake it up, but no joy.

Probably you were shooting in the wrong direction. Should have shot at a clean CMDR in the NFZ, you'd have seen that the station guns are perfectly operational. I could see them bringing down a Chieftain, it was pretty hilarious, considering that otherwise the Bright Sentinel looks like it's about to disintegrate any moment.

Idk what the Chieftain was doing, tbh I don't even recall it shooting in the NFZ, maybe it was only shot down for loitering. :)

Last edited:
It's still so stupid that destroyed megaships and burning stations will fine people for loitering, docking without permission, and so on.

You can't tell me that there is no way that FDev couldn't have found a way to change the code that makes stations do that when they were creating all the other 'burning station' mechanics. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It's still so stupid that destroyed megaships and burning stations will fine people for loitering, docking without permission, and so on.

You can't tell me that there is no way that FDev couldn't have found a way to change the code that makes stations do that when they were creating all the other 'burning station' mechanics. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I wouldn’t even try to do that as I think it is supposed to be that way.

I think that almost everyone in traffic control is fighting fires or fighting in the queues to escape so all the “routine” stuff is being handled by the computers which not being AI have no flexibility in interpreting the rules.

almost everyone in traffic control is fighting fires or fighting in the queues to escape so all the “routine” stuff is being handled by the computers which not being AI have no flexibility in interpreting the rules.

And the station guns controlled by said AI are totally unaffected by all the fires and disintegrating station hull, there's no loss of power or anything. :)

I've been catching up a bit this morning (having jumped into the update in both Odyssey and Horizons earlier today). When FD said "yes" console (and by extension Horizons) players would be able to "see" the Azimuth conclusion I always suspected they were being somewhat disingenuous but I am surprised as to the extent of that (and the sheer literalness of the statement). OK - so we can all "see" the cutscene (so no actual lies told m'lud), but there's really quite a lot of stuff in-game after that which could have been done in Horizons but which hasn't. I'm not surprised we can't see the aftermath of the Proteus Wave down on the planet (new asset after all so fair enough I guess) but I am surprised that we don't get the in system cockpit distortion, or the various logs (e.g. at the Bright Sentinel), or the waves of Thargoids dropping in on us in normal space instances.

Coincidentally (or deliberately) I think this now sends quite a strong message that Horizons 3.8/Console really is on maintenance mode support and is rapidly going to fall behind in terms of story and content. That shouldn't come as a surprise, it's just a bit saddening is all.

Oh, and for those wondering why I was even playing Horizons ... so I started the day at Fort Asch, in Odyssey. I got down on the surface and into my SRV and then dismissed the ship. Quite quickly Thargoids appeared and I took shelter by parking under one of the structures. It was kinda awesome as more Thargoids appeared and were clearly combing the site with scanning beams, looking for me. At one point there were maybe 4 interceptors of various types and a bunch of scouts. It was dark so I had night vision on. I wanted to make a run for it, but Odyssey on the ground in the dark and with night vision on is so damn ugly that I decided to switch to Horizons so I could record a nice looking video of the chase. Switched to Horizons, looked WAY smoother but no Thargoids .. at all. I then decided to stay in Horizons ('cos for me the visuals, performance, shadows, lighting, etc are all so much smoother) and headed off to see if I could get the various logs. The system felt tame by comparison with Odyssey and, as stated, there were no logs to be found and little new to experience aside from the debris fields (I think, or were those Odyssey only too?).

So I guess that's it then.

Horizons 3.8 (for as long as it remains accessible) is a nice playground for those that prefer the old style planet tech, for canyon hooning and for being able to access old race tracks such as the Pomeche ridge or who fancy climbing big mountains like Neverest, but if you want to engage with and experience new stuff and ongoing story content, it's really now the time to let go (swallow the visual downgrades, as well as enjoy the numerous visual upgrades) and switch over (and I guess the forethcoming 4.0 client will allow those who haven't paid for the Odyssey dlc to do that as well).

Last edited:
I wouldn’t even try to do that as I think it is supposed to be that way.

I think that almost everyone in traffic control is fighting fires or fighting in the queues to escape so all the “routine” stuff is being handled by the computers which not being AI have no flexibility in interpreting the rules.

That literally screams "it's not a bug it's a feature" - the answer to anything they don't intend to fix is "it's supposed to be like that" regardless of how little sense it makes.

Just like how logging to farm mats is "intended gameplay" (how the hell can exiting the game and reloading be "intended gameplay"?) while logging to reset a quad-hotspot mining rock was a "dirty cheating exploit" and quickly patched - as if earning quick credits in the game is somehow worse than grinding mats slightly faster by carrying out boring loop after boring loop of Dav's Hope or somewhere... They can't think of a way to fix the way mat grinding in the game works, so they just claim the logging exploit is fine.

Watched a certain Frontier approved Youtuber stream for over 7 hours yesterday. During the stream they ran all over the galaxy with great zeal and at the end of the stream they had achieved nothing or found anything new.
Over 7 hours of gameplay without any conclusion or indeed closure, the streamer however seemed very pleased with it all whilst sporting his free paint job from fdev. I found it particularly cloying when they said they weren't flying their usual ship so they could pimp out their Frontier freebie.

Felt good unsubscribing from that particular streamer.

It would make sense for stations to have automated defence systems with autonomous redundant power supply in case of attack.
Though it does contradict the situation at Odyssey settlements where defences only seem to activate if you pick up a bit of epoxy adhesive.

Maybe we'll get some hints in the livestream tomorrow. So far I only know that Ram Tah and Palin are looking for unclassified relics.

I've been catching up a bit this morning (having jumped into the update in both Odyssey and Horizons earlier today). When FD said "yes" console (and by extension Horizons) players would be able to "see" the Azimuth conclusion I always suspected they were being somewhat disingenuous but I am surprised as to the extent of that (and the sheer literalness of the statement). OK - so we can all "see" the cutscene (so no actual lies told m'lud).
Even the macOS commanders could ‘see’ the Azimuth conclusion, so I’d like to thank Frontier for the first macOS content for nearly four years on that basis.

then somebody cannot make CLEAR sentences just put words after each other.

The end of the post there is " Therefore, Horizons players will be able to witness the final event in the Azimuth Saga and access related gameplay scenarios. Moving forwards, all PC players will have access to content in the next narrative phase given they are using version 4.0, except in cases where on-foot gameplay (and by extension, Odyssey) is required. "

I dont see any content except the intro video whitch is " related" of the saga, except as it mantioned up there.. "some dead ships" and scavenging. :) - also i can use all my Guardian weapon in HIP 22460 without any problem. So Horizont Players didnt get anyting from the Saga but it was there, promised :D
Now you're just changing your argument. My post was in response to your incorrect claim that "The 4.0 was promised with Update 13. NOT the following week(s)."

Not true.

It's a completely different argument about horizons players not getting the full content, one I have not commented on.

Good try though.

Watched a certain Frontier approved Youtuber stream for over 7 hours yesterday. During the stream they ran all over the galaxy with great zeal and at the end of the stream they had achieved nothing or found anything new.
Over 7 hours of gameplay without any conclusion or indeed closure, the streamer however seemed very pleased with it all whilst sporting his free paint job from fdev. I found it particularly cloying when they said they weren't flying their usual ship so they could pimp out their Frontier freebie.

Felt good unsubscribing from that particular streamer.
I think I watched some of that stream as well, after having played the game myself, to avoid spoilers. I saw something different than you I guess. There was a lot of new stuff and a lot of checking things out, and apart from stepping forward once in a while, I found the stream both entertaining and informative. I even spotted a few things on the way that I'd missed, and that I'm going to try later today.

Top Bottom