[Video] Python vs Krait mk2 vs Krait Phantom

It's going to take a few re-watches to count all the squeaks.
EDIT: 11? +1 in the blooper section.

Got to say i'm torn, I like the MK2, but spent so much time in the Python it feels like a second home. Just that jump range, even after all the power-creep which now puts it at great in 3301 terms, still feels poor in 3305.

Last edited:
It's going to take a few re-watches to count all the squeaks.
EDIT: 11? +1 in the blooper section.

Got to say i'm torn, I like the MK2, but spent so much time in the Python it feels like a second home. Just that jump range, even after all the power-creep which now puts it at great in 3301 terms, still feels poor in 3305.

Hehe another one enjoying the count of the squeaks!=}

The Krait is for noobies if you ask me, If you've flown the Python then there really isn't any need to go for Krait or the Phantom. And why would anyone even want to go with the Phantom, a cut down Krait. There certainly better ships for exploring, I would take the DBX over the phantom any day.

The Krait is for noobies if you ask me, If you've flown the Python then there really isn't any need to go for Krait or the Phantom. And why would anyone even want to go with the Phantom, a cut down Krait. There certainly better ships for exploring, I would take the DBX over the phantom any day.

If by exploring you mean moving across the galaxy as fast as possible, the DBE has a slight edge. The Phantom can get within about 5 ly of the DBE with 2 more optional modules. It can also handle weight better, so if you want an exploration ship that's more than lowest possible size/D rated shell of a ship, it leaves the DBE in the dust. My Phantom jumps over 65 with 2 SRV's a repair limpet & needed cargo room for limpet synthesis, DDS, ~300 shields for sketchy landings, 500 boost, amfu, and a 6A fuel scoop that refuels in half the time of DBE with a 4a. My DBE has better SC handling (though not enough for it to be a real factor in choice), jumps a little over 70 with one slot left after shields, scoop, amfu, DSS, and Guardian FSD booster. For my idea of exploring, the Phantom is a hands down, no contest superior ship to the DBE.

The Krait is for noobies if you ask me, If you've flown the Python then there really isn't any need to go for Krait or the Phantom.
I've flown the Python.
It now collects dust as the least agile of the 3.
2nd in firepower as well.
Worst in jump range.
But hey, another internal... whooo.

And why would anyone even want to go with the Phantom, a cut down Krait. There certainly better ships for exploring, I would take the DBX over the phantom any day.
Fuel scoop on an AspX or Phantom is faster, not to mention if you're fitting something beyond 6 mods in your kit it's a non-option.

I like all 3 and have each setup for different roles.

Phantom is for exploration for reasons Vedomo already stated. Mk2 for rez zones or if I swap weapons, pvp. Python is for mining. G5 thrusters make it fast enough that flying is fun while doing some deep core mining.

I like all 3 and have each setup for different roles.

Phantom is for exploration for reasons Vedomo already stated. Mk2 for rez zones or if I swap weapons, pvp. Python is for mining. G5 thrusters make it fast enough that flying is fun while doing some deep core mining.

This is pretty much what I do except I have two MkIIs; one PVP, one multirole.

I've flown the Python.
It now collects dust as the least agile of the 3.
2nd in firepower as well.
Worst in jump range.
But hey, another internal... whooo.

I like both, the Krait MK2 and the Python... the extra C6 internal is nothing to be neglected as it allows the Python to combine a C6 shield generator with 2xC6 SCBs. That combined with the higher base shield strength gives the Python the highest shield potential of the three by a considerable margin. The Python also has a MLF of 17 vs. 16 on the Kraits.

The Mk2 has a nice hardpoint placement and can carry a fighter, but if you like it safe and tanky, the Python is still a strong choice. I don't like the Phantom... it sacrifices too much for too little.

Last edited:
My demand for SLF fun makes Krait mk. II the only exploration option of the three. For missions I always use Python. Cool vid!

Last edited:
Generally I really enjoy your videos but this one starts off almost immediately with something that's just not true.

You say the internals are copy paste for Python/Krait but they aren't. Extra size 6 in python is an enormous difference. So these are very much not copy paste stats.

Probably you clarify later, but starting the video off with a misconception that is just flat out untrue kind of turned me off so I almost immediately stopped watching. I prefer to not open with a misconception that viewers who don't know better might take at face value, even if you clarify later (who knows if they watch to end!). But maybe I'm just impatient.

I presume you go on to explain SLF in Mk 2 is roughly equivalent to an extra large hardpoint, and it has a faster top speed with otherwise nearly identical flight characteristics (see: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UKvWx-Po1erSwAFomEpSJvB5vRbYn_A2t0T9lNhMst0/edit#gid=0) . So for combat, it has a quantitative edge, there is no way around that. The slightly lower hull hardness is largely moot in PvP with everyone running PA and/or rails and/or corrosive. Might matter in Pve combat.

Likewise I assume you later explain lower hull mass / better jump range and some extra small internals make phantom a useful ship for exploring. (And yes it's also true some combat pilots pick it just for vroom vroom speed and variety and wing usefulness)

But like I said, not digging this one due to intro, but overall am a fan of your work keep it up o7

Last edited:
You say the internals are copy paste for Python/Krait but they aren't. Extra size 6 in python is an enormous difference. So these are very much not copy paste stats.

If you go to Station Services -> Outfitting -> Core Internal you'll see that these are the same between all three ships.

Optional Internals are different. Colloquially many CMDRs refer to the 3rd option in Outfitting as "internals", while the 4th is referred to "optionals", which is probably what the video is using as names.

If you go to Station Services -> Outfitting -> Core Internal you'll see that these are the same between all three ships.

Optional Internals are different. Colloquially many CMDRs refer to the 3rd option in Outfitting as "internals", while the 4th is referred to "optionals", which is probably what the video is using as names.

Fair, but I always say "core" or "optionals". I already know the cores match, just like alliance shpis and FAS, etc. If something is ambiguous and needs clarification like you gave, I feel it could be improved.

Re-watching, I think his exact word was "stats" anyway.

Regardless, I was just relaying my immediate reaction. Maybe I just needed more coffee. OP does generally good work and I was already subscribed o7

I would take the DBX over the phantom any day.

Really? Thats weird considering the Phantom beats the AspX in every category besides agility (which doesnt matter much for exploration). And the AspX beats the DBX by a landslide simply by the fact that for the DBX you cant have any extras whatosever (space madness says hi!).

To be fair, the DBX is a awesome ship - that heat dissipation is awesome and enables charging your FSD while you're still getting heated by the star, something thats cutting the travel time by a good bit...

Last edited:
Always appreciate Yamiks and the others creating content for this game. So always +1.

Every single one of these ships is great.

In combat roles, I like the Krait II with the fighter distraction - but I tend to fly damage avoidance instead for tanking. The phantom is the exploration and smuggling/criminal passenger ship. Python is if you just don't want to own all three.

I see the python is still the most over-rated craft on this site. Took me all of 30 minutes to get a Phantom to excel in exploration (not quite on par with the DBX) while the python doesn't do anything well.

I see the python is still the most over-rated craft on this site. Took me all of 30 minutes to get a Phantom to excel in exploration (not quite on par with the DBX) while the python doesn't do anything well.

Probably depends ln the definition of "well". It does all well enough for most, IMO.

What are you talking about? I can only assume you are new to Elite or you wouldn't come up with such a stupid remark. The Python is the most versatile ship in Elite and can perform well in any role (except Exploring).

I've owned all three ships (in succession - not more than one ship at a time), Python -> Krait Mk II -> Krait Phantom.

I have to say the Phantom is the ship for me. Long range combat and exploration when I feel like it, plus the odd mission here and there. It's perfect for a "one ship commander" like me.

:)

Top Bottom