Guide / Tutorial Voice Controlling Elite:Dangerous - A Guide

I guess voice attack is somewhat limited..

example..

I want to go to contacts..

usually (with normal config) I would hit 1 for the left hand view.. then cycle to Contacts.

But.....
sometimes there are more menus .. so.. Contacts might be a different number of keystrokes.

(using the Contacts menu as an example.. same situation if you were trying to get to something else without a keybind)

anyway to program this?

There is no concrete path to "Contacts" so VA will not be able to get there.

It's the reason we can't automate things like a docking request, or even returning to front view (concretely) with VA.

Personally I navigate the options with buttons on my thrust level. So I use VA to open up the panel I want, and then use buttons to navigate it.

At present, I'd suggest that's the best solution. You could bind commands to navigate left, right, up and down, but it would be slow compared to dedicated button pressing.

I'v managed to set up a profile that does tab switching, allowing you to jump from any tab from any panel directly to that tab, it also implements syncing so if you use the keyboard to move to a tab/panel it detects it and keep track of where you are. So the next time you do a VA command it doesn't get out of sync.

The only issue is i've found when the game first loads for some reason, the last two tabs on the left panel (Contacts) are disabled, they seem to become active once you have launched, and then remain active (i might be wrong about them remaining active),
I had scripted for this as it only seemed to happen while docked, so once you were docked you just had to say "Docked" then it would account for there only being 3 panels instead of 5. (its not in my current version)

My script has a docking command, that will auto ask for docking and return you to the front, no matter what panel you are currently looking at.

I've got a Zip file in my dropbox with the profile and a list of all the commands.

It requires setting up all your key-binds you have in ED to VA
(all explained in the read me) and also applying a couple of the keybinds you have in ED as short-cuts to 4 of the VA commands for the syncing to work.

You can download the Profile and Read-me from here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5769149/ED - Advanced Panels with keyboard sync.zip

or just go to this thread: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=757447#post757447

*As VA does not currently support Joystick buttons it means that you need to map commands to keys, unless you use a 3rd party program such as AutoHotKey to translate the button presses on the joystick to keyboard commands, this is tricky though as the the hat-switch (what i use to switch panels and nav up and down) has diffirent functions in different modes.

So until VA has support for direct-x joystick input its not perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the profile, it was a good place to start.

First change I've made is to remove the "boost" command as I found out as I was just about to dock, that my nervous cough sounds like "boost". Thank god for insurance :D:D:D

Thanks for the profile, it was a good place to start.

First change I've made is to remove the "boost" command as I found out as I was just about to dock, that my nervous cough sounds like "boost". Thank god for insurance :D:D:D

If you look in the link in my sig you can download the tutorial for doing yes/no confirmation of commands.

stops bad things happening :)

Also note that the latest VA beta now has a native system for command with confirmation AND support for joystick buttons (still being worked)

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but is there a way of printing a 'crib' type sheet to remind us of what verbal commands do what when using VA.

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but is there a way of printing a 'crib' type sheet to remind us of what verbal commands do what when using VA.

Just use the Export profile command (the "square+arrow" button at the top); you can then choose between .VAP or .HTML extension, the latter being a readable reference sheet

Last edited:
Excellent, someone else has VoiceAttack too. This was going to be my next post. I'll look forward to trying this out soon.

Thank you for the information, all installed and a absolute bargain for $8, just messing around with it in the tutorials enhances the experience.
Really looking forward to putting this to use in the full game

This looks awesome to me, and I really think it might be something I use a lot. One thing i've always wanted in games like this is this exact thing. It seems to me that if you are going to play a game that is supposed to be this far in the future, you should use you voice for a lot of it. Simple things like lower landing gear, and open cargo chute should really be a simple voice command. I can't wait to try this out myself.

Top Bottom