VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

Hi Guys, new here, recently started playing on Xbox 1 and made the mistake of looking on YouTube at the VR version of ED....now I desperately want it :).....I'm a noob at pc specs and gaming so before I commit fully can someone please say whether these specs would run ED in VR ok? Thank You in advance.

ADMI GTX 1080 GAMING PC: High-End VR Ready Gaming Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 6400 Skylake Quad Core 3.3GHz Turbo CPU / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X 4K VR Ready Graphics Card / 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM / 1TB Hard Drive / 650W PSU Bronze Rated / HD Audio / USB 3.0 / HDMI/4K Ultra HD Support / VR / Oculus Support / Corsair SPEC-03 Gaming Case with Orange LED / Pre-Installed with Windows 10

Hi guys would this set up run ED in VR?

ADMI GTX 1080 GAMING PC: High-End VR Ready Gaming Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 6400 Skylake Quad Core 3.3GHz Turbo CPU / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X 4K VR Ready Graphics Card / 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM / 1TB Hard Drive / 650W PSU Bronze Rated / HD Audio / USB 3.0 / HDMI/4K Ultra HD Support / VR / Oculus Support / Corsair SPEC-03 Gaming Case with Orange LED / Pre-Installed with Windows 10

Hi guys would this set up run ED in VR?

As the name on the setup says - without a hitch. It has the second strongest consumer graphics card, the 1080, and a fresh generation of CPU. 8GB RAM is enough. The rest of the setup is okay too. TL; DR: your setup is much more powerful than mine, and I have no problems running ED in VR. Go for it :)

As the name on the setup says - without a hitch. It has the second strongest consumer graphics card, the 1080, and a fresh generation of CPU. 8GB RAM is enough. The rest of the setup is okay too. TL; DR: your setup is much more powerful than mine, and I have no problems running ED in VR. Go for it :)

Yep, upgraded to 1080 recently, too, price was just a few more Euro compared to the 1070. That thing should last a while!

Btw, before that I was using a GTX 770 with my I5-2500 CPU and that worked with the Oculus fine, too (not max graphic settings of course). ;) Still using that cpu now.

i7 5930k @ 4.05ghz
16gb ddr4
Asus 980ti
Windows 10 pro

What the best settings I can get with my PC? Anybody else running VR with the same(close to it) specs?

HTC Vive
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA TITAN Xp (12 GB)
1 TB NVMe SSD

I still cannot play it :(

Apparently the game does not support HTC Vive controllers - seriously?

Well, you guys should have mentioned somewhere in you hardware specs what exactly is needed to play (in VR).
As it is now I've got a terrible out-of-the-box experience spending 30 minutes clicking back and forth between Steam, Steam VR, your site, and my mail box only to find out that I can't even play it.

Sure, I can also play a non-VR version, which is probably how developers are playing it anyway. VR games are supposed to be playable with VR controllers.
Taking off VR helmet (every time I need to press a key on a keyboard?) or using what someone on this forum has called a "nose peek" trick with a keyboard is a joke.
And I unfortunately cannot use "voice attack" due to personal reasons (I do not want to make noise when playing at night).
To summarize, as it is ED, is not a VR game, it's a game which supports 3D glasses, but otherwise relies on a PC/desktop controllers.

I forgot to mention why I'm so against taking VR helmet on and off to press a key: I'm wearing glasses, so taking Vive off and on takes good 20 seconds to readjust glasses to a comfortable position.
For the very same reason the automated UI which pops menus left and right as you turn to them is similarly tricky - the menus keep closing as I turn my face towards the top/bottom lines so I have to turn my eyes to read things and keep my head still (uncomfortable again, since VR helmets have a visibility sweat spot in the center).

I never had to remove my headset when I start an ED session and I feel your pain as I also have glasses. If your using a headset you need to adapt to the sim by, e.g., use an HOTAS like me where all functions as mapped so the only key I need to use with ED is the ESCAPE one to quit the game. VR games are not meant to be played systematically with VR controllers, it's really depends each kind of games. For example, I play driving sim (rFactor2, Asseto Corsa, Project Car, LFS, etc.) using a real wheel and shift gears and pedals, that's the best way to play those games indeed. And for the lateral menus which annoy you (never had any problems myself) you still have solution : just select in options than you don't want this behavior and make them appear on button press, and voila.
After playing ED as VR with my Oculus Rift I'm not able to get back to flat screen anymore. You have to adapt a little to each game and you will enjoy them.

I can understand your frustration, but ED is definitely a VR game. It just takes using a HOTAS...actually I recommend using a HOTAS even if you don't play in VR.

If you are willing to use a bit more money on your ED experience, you'll be amazed. I have mapped all the buttons on my x52 so that I don't have to peek from my DK2. You can even use some of the cheapest HOTAS and have the same amazing experience, with a bit of configuration.

I know you are annoyed right now, but look into it. I would use a stick and throttle even if the game supported VR controllers

Taking off VR helmet (every time I need to press a key on a keyboard?) or using what someone on this forum has called a "nose peek" trick with a keyboard is a joke.

I was under the impression that the Vive had a virtual keyboard, is that not the case? If not you could use something like Virtual Desktop.

I forgot to mention why I'm so against taking VR helmet on and off to press a key: I'm wearing glasses, so taking Vive off and on takes good 20 seconds to readjust glasses to a comfortable position.

Are you aware of the prescription lens inserts available? I am aware of at least two vendors that are Vive-compatible.

For the very same reason the automated UI which pops menus left and right as you turn to them is similarly tricky - the menus keep closing as I turn my face towards the top/bottom lines so I have to turn my eyes to read things and keep my head still (uncomfortable again, since VR helmets have a visibility sweat spot in the center).

As Yololo69 already suggested, this can be solved by using a key-press to open/close the panels on-demand.

Hi. I'm looking to buy the Occulus Rift in a few days and am wondering just how easy it is to set up with ED.
My system exceeds all the Min's except RAM which is 16gb. I'm using the X-52 HOTAS but planning on upgrading that, too.
I'd be happy if ED has Preset's for it like it did the X-52.
One thing I can't figure out it how to cycle thru the Planets and bases without using the keyboard & mouse.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am a newbie too. I downloaded an X52 Profile for ED. Do a search for X52EliteV223. Hat 1 works the menus up down within the game. I mapped e and q to rotary 1 in the bands mode and button E as the Select button. I works really well for me. I tried to use VoiceAssist but couldnt get it to work for me. The last issue for me is the galaxy map, which is a prime pain in the a**e in VR.

Last edited:
For the galaxy map, I found the best approach is to map the galaxy map controls to your joystick/hotas. I've got translation controls mapped to the hat, angle controls mapped to the stick, zoom to buttons, select to the trigger, and so on. It isn't perfect, since there are a few things I still seem to need the mouse for, but it's 100% better.

And just FYI, I was playing on medium settings, DK2 on an I7 with 8 gigs and an nvidia760, and it was generally like glass. I've since upgraded to 16 gigs and a 780 and was able to increase several settings to high. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I haven't needed the top-end hardware to enjoy VR.

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone is looking...

My old GTX 960 was unusable with my Rift Touch, but I was given a GeForce GTX 1050Ti. Whilst the card works well with other less graphically-intensive programs, it will not cope with Elite Dangerous. Should it be able to do so with a change of settings, or should I go for a 1080? My cpu is a 4 core i5-6600k @ 3.5GHz.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

How would Lenovo Explorer's performance on a GTX 1050 4GB be?

I can't to find the answer anywhere. I know that the card is supposedly below the requirements but I also know that it handles WMR and some steam vr, and that people are playing games smoothly, for a 1050, but considering that Elite Dangerous is graphic intensive and I don't want to risk getting the Explorer before knowing that it actually works, because ED is the only game I play these days.

My system handles ED on Ultra settings on a 1920x1080 screen quite well, 60 to 40 FPS around stations. Full specs below:

CPU: 7t Gen Intel Core i5 7300HQ 2.5Ghz
RAM: 16GB at 2400MHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 4GB of Dedicated GDDR5 RAM (can share up to 8)
SSD: 120 GB

Top Bottom