VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

Finally did some testing, throughout it I didn't see CPU usage go above 20%! That doesn't seem right to me, maybe it's a limitation of win7's task man.?? Also I couldn't find out how to disable ASW with the current version of OR, unless it was working & my grx card just isn't powerful enough to raise FPS over 45.

Anyway, to the graphics testing, sitting in an corollis station in Mellise, in open play (no sight of cmdrs so far).
So with the following settings:-
HMD Image Quality 1 & Supersampling 1 I get 45 FPS, but the image quality is dire like this, lots of flickering edges (dancing pixels!) :(.
HMDIQ 1 & SS 1.25, ~30 FPS, static image quality is mediocre with many dancing pixels along various angled straight edges. Fairly blurry in general
KMDIQ 1.25, SS1. ~30 FPS, static image quality is mediocre with many dancing pixels along various angled straight edges. Fairly blurry in general. Looks about the same as above.
HMDIQ 1.5, SS 1, 22-23 FPS, static image quality is ok.
HMDIQ 1.5, SS 1.25, 15-17 FPS, static image quality is nice, but the screen door effect on the panels writing is still significant & makes reading it hard.

Obviously an FPS below 45 isn't really playable, I just wanted to see what it looked liked. But I noticed the screen door effect significantly on all settings above, I guess the OR isn't for me then, even if it could run fast enough on my card.

Btw, I don't get why it doesn't do better, is this what would be expected from a GTX 980 or a 1060 Ti?? (The RX 580 is similar performance to them).
A few points to note, the Ivybridge CPU is 6 core with hyper threading, also the RAM is quad channel, so RAM bandwidth isn't an issue.

1 more thing I need to test out with my mates VR whilst I still have it, is to see if motion sickness is an issue, although the choice between poor img quality or poor FPS isn't going to help.......

You will struggle to get 90FPS on a 1060 equivalent inside a station and on planets.

You can turn off ASW with ctrl+numpad1 and on with Ctrl+numpad4 (or the other way around but I think that’s right).

With ASW off of you have any GPU headroom your FPS will go up a bit and you’ll probably see your CPU get worked a bit harder.

Btw I’ve gone to a rift S now and my GTX 1080 isn’t enough for the max 80FPS that does anymore due to the resolution bump. For that to get 80FPS everywhere I reckon a GTX 2080 or GTX 1080ti is required.

For motion sickness I find 90FPS (or 80 with the S) better though I don’t get it as much with ASW at 45(40) as I used to.

I think if I was going to get the latest generation GPU I would save a few extra pennies and get a 2080 or wait a little time to see what happens with the new ’super’

I’ve waiting to see what the 2080 super is like too. I will either get that or the price dropped 2080 after the super comes out.

After blowing all that money on a graphics card I’m going to ban myself buying anything new for my PC for 5 years lol

Lol.

I tried ctrl+numpad1 & it had no effect on the FPS, on googling this, it seems that other people have had this problem too with the latest versions of the Oculus s/w, & it seems this functionality has been removed (IIRC), I think their maybe a registry hack to get around it, but I haven't yet read any further into it.
Btw, I find it extremely unlikely that my card can't go over 45 FPS on the lowest setting I tried (even by just a few FPS), so I'm pretty sure AWS is stuck on.
(Incidentally I errored earlier, I meant a 1060 6GB, not Ti, which doesn't exist! ;)).

Lol.

I tried ctrl+numpad1 & it had no effect on the FPS, on googling this, it seems that other people have had this problem too with the latest versions of the Oculus s/w, & it seems this functionality has been removed (IIRC), I think their maybe a registry hack to get around it, but I haven't yet read any further into it.
Btw, I find it extremely unlikely that my card can't go over 45 FPS on the lowest setting I tried (even by just a few FPS), so I'm pretty sure AWS is stuck on.
(Incidentally I errored earlier, I meant a 1060 6GB, not Ti, which doesn't exist! ;)).

Odd, ASW off with left Ctrl+numpad1 is working for me still on my Rift S and it did a driver and firmware update yesterday. With it on I get 40 in a station and around 75 with it off and GPU goes 100%.

That almost on VR ultra but with FX AA and SS 1.0 and HMD 1.25.

I’d of thought you’d get something over 45 on a Rift with what you have too. Unless you have the Microsoft gaming DVR turned on or something like that. That crushes FPS in VR.

Oh ok, that is odd then, maybe Microsoft gaming DVR is on, whatever that is!? ;) [edit] Ok I've googled it, all the hits I get on the 1st page refer to Win 10, I have Win 7. So I guess that's me clear of Microsoft gaming DVR?

Btw, re FPS, I assume with ASW off & in empty space the FPS would shoot up? (could use that as a test).

Last edited:
Oh ok, that is odd then, maybe Microsoft gaming DVR is on, whatever that is!? ;) [edit] Ok I've googled it, all the hits I get on the 1st page refer to Win 10, I have Win 7. So I guess that's me clear of Microsoft gaming DVR?

Btw, re FPS, I assume with ASW off & in empty space the FPS would shoot up? (could use that as a test).

Yeah if you are Windows 7 then it won’t be the gaming DVR. If you are in empty space and then you should easily get 90FPS. I think I got 90FPS with GPU at around 45%.

When I first started using VR - I figured out that if I lowered my FPS to 60 that the game was playable. I put together this video back then (before I upgraded my GPU) and while a lot of people from the Windows VR community hated what I was suggesting - if you have a lower end system and still want to VR this may help you.
Source: https://youtu.be/6gby6ZeprWc

For those of you wondering how to save on HMD's and to push it with slightly lower specs, see this thread and focus on my comments. Searches related to what I've said will help, but it's fairly straightforward.

I recently received an Oculus update that really seemed to clear up the image in ED.
Did anyone else have this happen?

I recently received an Oculus update that really seemed to clear up the image in ED.
Did anyone else have this happen?
Not me personally but from what I've been reading all night, the update included performance and quality improvements, largely through increasing efficiency... though I cannot independently confirm that.

Hi All,

I'm really keen to get into VR, and was considering getting an Oculus Rift S, but I'm now worried that my specs are I bit low, and I'd be wasting my money (I cant afford a new graphics card and Oculus S at the minute)

Any opinions on whether this rig will be acceptable enough? :-

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (4 cores 8HT) - 4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
RAM: DDR3 1600 C9 2x8GB
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500G (Running in 'Rapid Mode')

' User benchmark (online results)

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

--- EDit
Forgot to say, it's for playing ED Horizons :)

Hi All,

I'm really keen to get into VR, and was considering getting an Oculus Rift S, but I'm now worried that my specs are I bit low, and I'd be wasting my money (I cant afford a new graphics card and Oculus S at the minute)

Any opinions on whether this rig will be acceptable enough? :-

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K (4 cores 8HT) - 4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB
RAM: DDR3 1600 C9 2x8GB
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500G (Running in 'Rapid Mode')

' User benchmark (online results)

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

--- EDit
Forgot to say, it's for playing ED Horizons :)

Hi Nickp,

With the Rift S being so new it is difficult to give you an answer with 100% confidence but your CPU should be OK. Some people are having tracking issues with 4 core i5 CPU's that are more recent than yours but people with hyperthreading 4 core i7 CPU's don't seem to have the issues.

The rest of your system should be ok too, the weakest point is your Graphics card but it should still be acceptable. You aren't going to be able to have the highest settings and you will be unlikely to get 80FPS anywhere but should be able to get 40FPS everywhere with ASW (which is automatic Oculus software trickery that looks like 80FPS and is totally playable). It is only less than 40 where it gets unplayable.

I'm pretty confident you will get an acceptable experience but if you have never had a go in VR or Elite with VR in particular then you are unlikely to feel you have wasted your money. More likely you will have just started a new super expensive hobby ;)

Hi Nickp,

With the Rift S being so new it is difficult to give you an answer with 100% confidence but your CPU should be OK. Some people are having tracking issues with 4 core i5 CPU's that are more recent than yours but people with hyperthreading 4 core i7 CPU's don't seem to have the issues.

The rest of your system should be ok too, the weakest point is your Graphics card but it should still be acceptable. You aren't going to be able to have the highest settings and you will be unlikely to get 80FPS anywhere but should be able to get 40FPS everywhere with ASW (which is automatic Oculus software trickery that looks like 80FPS and is totally playable). It is only less than 40 where it gets unplayable.

I'm pretty confident you will get an acceptable experience but if you have never had a go in VR or Elite with VR in particular then you are unlikely to feel you have wasted your money. More likely you will have just started a new super expensive hobby ;)

Hi Gortron,

cheers for the info - I've bitten the bullet and bought one It arrived last night, but sadly Ive not had time to set it up - Real Life getting in the way. Saturday and Sunday, you won't be able to drag me away from it (hopefully).

Cheers,
Nick

EDIT: Okay, I reinstalled Steam VR, rebooted everything and I can set HMD and SS to 1, with HMD in OTT set to 1.5 with minimum frame drops.

A lot of people suggested reducing in-game SS "because it is unnoticeable", but I would not recommend this. The difference between in-game SS 1 and <1 is very noticeable to me, and increasing HMD does little to hide the imperfections that reducing SS introduced.

Increasing in-game SS above 1 hits FPS hard though, so the new VR Ultra settings which sets SS to 1.25 are unusable for me.

6700k, RTX 2070 Super, 16GB RAM.

Last edited:
I get a new rig on Saturday, after using my old i5 since 2011 :unsure:

I get a i5 9500, a RTX 2060 OC, 32 GB DDR and a 1 TB SSD.
I guess that's enough to run a Vive? Or will I run into problems?

I get a new rig on Saturday, after using my old i5 since 2011 :unsure:

I get a i5 9500, a RTX 2060 OC, 32 GB DDR and a 1 TB SSD.
I guess that's enough to run a Vive? Or will I run into problems?
I know that for me enough USB ports was more of an issue than all the other.
I'm on a laptop though.

I know that for me enough USB ports was more of an issue than all the other.
I'm on a laptop though.
That's more aa Oculus problem iirc, but I think I'm gonna get a Vive.
Oculus will work now too though. Have enough USB for that now.
(It was my worst limit too - that and the cpu from 2011 😂)

I think my machine will run ED in VR but not sure how well. Basically, a i7 5820K overclocked to 4.4Ghz and an a GT980ti (full specs in my sig|).

If anyone has any advice/input/comments etc. I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

I think my machine will run ED in VR but not sure how well. Basically, a i7 5820K overclocked to 4.4Ghz and an a GT980ti (full specs in my sig|).

If anyone has any advice/input/comments etc. I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.
My first VR setup was a Rift CV1 with i5 4670k & GTX 1060 6GB and I was running ED with mostly High/Ultra settings and decent performance. I moved over to the Rift S without any noticeable drop in performance.

I reckon your machine should be quite happy with VR Elite as it’s a bit more powerful than my old setup 👍

Top Bottom