VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

How funny would it be if fdev just said 'no VR at launch' so all the forum fanatics would do half their job for them by think through any possibly difficulties for them so all they'll have to do is code it in. Its working real well too, any problem anyone has conceived so far has been met quickly with what seems like a working solution.
Naaah... FDEV community solved a lot of gameplay issues (see also all the feedback received for Tritium and Tritium depot management) but FDEV never took any advantage from those situations...

So why remove it from the seated portion of the game?

Because a game that is only half in VR, and half out, can’t be sold as a VR product. It would get savaged. (Especially if its obvious primary hook, the character gameplay, wasn’t supported).

This is just really obvious stuff. It’s kind of astounding that it even needs pointing out. I know the situation is frustrating, but damn...

They haven't removed VR from the seated portion of the game.

Stick your pedantry somewhere else Stiggy. You know he means EDO.

(And you should also know that not having access to long-dangled new content, like atmospherics, via the tried-and-tested VR cockpit experience, is an understandable annoyance for VR Cmdrs. And not something that is meaningfully addressed by continued VR support for the existing game.)

(And you should also know that not having access to long-dangled new content, like atmospherics, via the tried-and-tested VR cockpit experience, is an understandable annoyance for VR Cmdrs. And not something that is meaningfully addressed by continued VR support for the existing game.)

Also, his post is not necessarily true, given the current information. It might as well be the case that when you launch Odyssey, you won't have VR even in the ship.

Frontier are currently trying to figure out how/where to draw the line.

(And you should also know that not having access to long-dangled new content, like atmospherics, via the tried-and-tested VR cockpit experience, is an understandable annoyance for VR Cmdrs. And not something that is meaningfully addressed by the continued support for Horizons etc).

It's not pedantry its reading comprehension.

I intend to use mouse and keyboard for EDO since that's my FPS preference, I would never try to twist that into meaning they've removed HOTAS from the game.

I'll carry on with HOTAS for SRV's and spaceships and switch over to mouse and keyboard for space-feet, my choice no big deal, tears or drama required. You could try doing the same with your special VR hat.

I thought this was actually confirmed?

You clearly don't understand making stuff up just for the DOOM!.

Because a game that is only half in VR, and half out, can’t be sold as a VR product. It would get savaged. (Especially if its obvious primary hook, the character gameplay, wasn’t supported).

This is just really obvious stuff. It’s kind of astounding that it even needs pointing out. I know the situation is frustrating, but damn...
Why would leaving a current feature in the game for the seated experience only result in a "savaging" and why would Odyssey need to be marketed as a VR DLC when clearly it will not be?

It might be better if there was a savaging, because apart from the paid interview pieces following the dev diary and initial reveal video, the reaction to Odyssey has been largely ambivalent from what I can see.

And if that is the case, I will be happy. But I won't be happy if the great is to much work so we get nothing instead.
I wouldn't. The game would be utterly trashed in the reviews, damaging the future outlook of the game due to less sales. I would be no VR then the baseline to be honest.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
I wouldn't. The game would be utterly trashed in the reviews, damaging the future outlook of the game due to less sales. I would be no VR then the baseline to be honest.
Not continuing with a mode they promoted in the past won't look good in reviews either.
I see no future for me playing Elite on a screen. I will play in VR, staying in Horizons if necessary, until some way to play the game I bought for VR in its latest expansion shows up, be that a barebone baseline keeping just the current things, a proper VR update with added features, an experimental version that you have to unlock in an ini file or some community created version like for Alien Isolation.

Not continuing with a mode they promoted in the past won't look good in reviews either.
I see no future for me playing Elite on a screen. I will play in VR, staying in Horizons if necessary, until some way to play the game I bought for VR in its latest expansion shows up, be that a barebone baseline keeping just the current things, a proper VR update with added features, an experimental version that you have to unlock in an ini file or some community created version like for Alien Isolation.
A community provided solution at this stage I think is the likely scenario.

If you assume that the ED codebase has become a bit of a cluttered mess (which seems to be likely given how gingerly Frontier treat it when it comes to coding), then it is also likely that the current VR code will still be in the exe, as removing it may also be time consuming without breaking something. There is therefore a chance it will be disabled at the UI by deleting the menu options for it (the easiest method) and someone enterprising enough might be able to turn it back on...

I don't think VR's inclusion for seated only is going to move the needle one way or the other, but its exclusion might, because nothing sells clicks like a controversy.

Top Bottom