Wait... VPNs are broken? As in Virtual Private Networks? NO!!!!!!!!

I rely on a VPN. My entire home network routes through a quality VPN that I pay for. I do this for multiple reasons, all of them legal and legitimate. I don't use a virtual private network to steal British TV (sorry folks, but the BBC is rubbish these days) or Japanese games (what's the point if you can't read the menu). No, my VPN exit point isn't that fair from my IRL location. My point is, my Internet IS my VPN.

So somebody please explain to me how Elite broke VPNs. I've seen this claim pop up in different threads, but not any detailed explanations. Does it just break instancing, or does the game refuse to load? I haven't been able to try the update myself yet, but if VPNs are broken, then this is 100x more serious than EBL was since it becomes a real game-breaker for me. Considering that I just gave Frontier yet MORE money (not to mention the cost of a gaming PC) just a few weeks ago, this really is upsetting.

Frontier, if you are reading this, would you at least tell me if this is a bug or a "feature", please? I can wait a few days / weeks if this is a bug that will eventually get fixed, but if you are purposefully blocking VPNs for whatever silly reason (are British Arx cheaper?) then I beg you to reconsider. You will effectively be banning me from the game if this is the case.

ps - I hate updates.

UPDATE / EDIT

I was finally able to download the update, and ED is working fine with my VPN. In fact, mission boards are loading faster than ever! I haven't found anyone to instance with yet, but I was in Open and all was working smoothly (with networking at least).

So move along, nothing to see here (except that the forum can't be trusted, LOL).

Last edited:
If it's an issue of MTU being to big, then that's easy for me to fix. I'm hoping it's something akin to this. I can't imagine Frontier actively blocking VPNs all over the world, as there are just so many of them. I'm also hoping that perhaps only some (like those cheap freebie) VPNs are broken and not mine. My VPN has surprisingly good ping time, and I've played fast-paced multiplayer FPS through it without any problems. ED actually worked BETTER using my VPN than my ISP, due to something wonky my ISP must be doing (one of the many reasons I use a VPN). I've had buttery smooth instancing with other players, both on PS4 and PC.

I'm downloading the update today, so eventually I'll be able to test it myself, but I'm hoping to get some word from Frontier on this.

I was finally able to download the update, and ED is working fine with my VPN. In fact, mission boards are loading faster than ever! I haven't found anyone to instance with yet, but I was in Open and all other network-related stuff was working smoothly.

So move along, nothing to see here (except that the forum can't be trusted, LOL).

I like how this was posted in "Dangerous Discussion", indeed it's very Dangerous to post on these forums there days!

Do you mind if I ask what VPN you use I am thinking of doing the same at home.

Well, tested MANY times and the only thing that prevents me from getting into the game is running through my VPN. I'm home now so can run without it but I work away a lot and frequently end up in accomodatrion with public wifi access only. Seems that this can only be a Frontier issue in my case and I can only hope it is resolved quickly...

Well, tested MANY times and the only thing that prevents me from getting into the game is running through my VPN. I'm home now so can run without it but I work away a lot and frequently end up in accomodatrion with public wifi access only. Seems that this can only be a Frontier issue in my case and I can only hope it is resolved quickly...
Are you unable to log in at all? I'm genuinely curious. We VPN users must stick together!

Yes now the game is trying to reach other information than before... I keep wondering why the change...So, for some VPN, it is a buggy.

With VPN running, I get through the launcher to the main menu but there I have a red server window bottom left. I can access the new livery section, which shows my ship etc correctly but all options to join the game (solo etc) greyed out.
Kill the VPN and I have normal access

VPNs are broken indeed if you have your VPN client running on the same PC as elite. if you route your entire network on your router through VPN, it is harder for Frontier to break it. They'll try next time.

Aha!

I had problems running ED under WINE last night - it seems they b0rked their netcode in this release.
Looking at the Network page, the game thought my remote address was the same as my internal address - this is of course, clownshoes ;)

Solved that one by disabling the 2 or 3 network bridge interfaces I had configured on my linux box. After that the networking worked and I could play on linux again.

So there's been a bug introduced in their network detection code somewhere, and the VPN problem will be related to that.

Your ping times aren’t any better on a VPN.
They might look better because your VPN host isn’t on a crappy connection, and your ISP isn’t doing something wonky with your game data.

You still have the same connection and same connection speed to your VPN host as you do to any other site out there.

And you’re not really hiding your IP from anyone who really matters. Your VPN provider has logs of every connection coming in to them. One subpoena later and the FBI is still knocking on your door.

Sure, it might throw off some low-end advertisers and scam ware that can’t form a proper sentence, big deal.

But hey, waste your money however you like.

Your ping times aren’t any better on a VPN.
They might look better because your VPN host isn’t on a crappy connection, and your ISP isn’t doing something wonky with your game data.
I never said they were. I just said they are surprisingly good for using a VPN. What IS better is my ability to retrieve mission data from Frontier. For whatever reason, mission data takes forever and often is incomplete when I play ED straight from my ISP.
And you’re not really hiding your IP from anyone who really matters. Your VPN provider has logs of every connection coming in to them. One subpoena later and the FBI is still knocking on your door.
LOL, do you really think I'm trying to hide my IP from the FBI? That's not why I use a VPN. I am glad that all you yahoos playing this game can't see my real IP address when we instance together, however :p

Top Bottom