was there an optimisation pass at all?

There's rumours, yet to be confirmed, that if you have enabled Ransomware Protection on your PC (which you should, by the way) it may be stopping Odyssey writing to disk in places and causing the stutter. Need to try this out...

There's rumours, yet to be confirmed, that if you have enabled Ransomware Protection on your PC (which you should, by the way) it may be stopping Odyssey writing to disk in places and causing the stutter. Need to try this out...
What I've been told is that option is off by default, but no harm in checking.

30 fps in stations. 8 core CPU, 1060 GPU, 16 GB of RAM, SSD. On that configuration, in most of my games, I have > 75 fps (maximum for my monitor) including nevest productions. This is the same engine from alpha. This is joke.

But seriously: I feel scammed.

Last edited:
I am completely unable to play in VR now. I have a Pimax 5K+, with an internal rendering resolution higher than dual 4K. I used to get ~50-60 FPS on a 1080ti with Downsampling and VR Medium now the game is nausealand.

I will ask for a refund, and if those "improvements" make their way to Horizons I will quit the game altogether. Nice way to waste a masterpiece of immersion. slowclap

For me... poligon everywhere...

20210520102029_1.jpg

I was repeatedly called "stupid", "ignorant" and "negative" because I suggested that my observed 22 FPS lows in alpha were hardly going to triple by the time it got to release.

Well, it's release - and guess what - I have 22 FPS lows and Odyssey still looks and feels qualitatively worse than in Horizons.
I was also repeatedly told the same by many different people.

Now it's "maybe you are using the wrong drivers!" 😂

To be fair, it could be a driver issue.

I will just leave this here since it shows exactly why odyssey is running so bad:
Source: https://youtu.be/dIc0WPY63hY
that was a very insightful video, and it explains the massive framerate hit we are seeing, but it is kind of alarming that Frontier made such simple mistakes and fell into those pitfalls. On the upside, this does illustrate how some known techniques such as occlusion can be used to regain significant ammounts of performace....

As with the cobra engine I still don't understand why they so slowly progress to things like PBR rendering. And why the ship meshes are so awfully split into many meshes that could be merged into one mesh to reduce drawcalls. I was able to have a indepth look into the models and 1 ship has so many separate meshes it's really no surprise my fps tanks hard if I play in VR in a hazrez with many ships. Like for example the SRV hangar has more than 4seperate meshes that will use at least 4 drawcalls but could be merged into one mesh with proper PBR textures and use only one draw call. For example the thrusters are one mesh, the windows are one mesh, the decal Panellines are one mesh, the text decals are one mesh, the small details like pipes are one mesh, the engines are one mesh or even 2 for the Krait phantom the Hull is split into 2 meshes. I also got the feeling their LOD and culling system is really bad also in Horizons.

Last edited:
As with the cobra engine I still don't understand why they so slowly progress to things like PBR rendering. And why the ship meshes are so awfully split into many meshes that could be merged into one mesh to reduce drawcalls. I was able to have a indepth look into the models and 1 ship has so many separate meshes it's really no surprise my fps tanks hard if I play in VR in a hazrez with many ships. Like for example the SRV hangar has more than 4seperate meshes that will use at least 4 drawcalls but could be merged into one mesh with proper PBR textures and use only one draw call. For example the thrusters are one mesh, the windows are one mesh, the decal Panellines are one mesh, the text decals are one mesh, the small details like pipes are one mesh, the engines are one mesh or even 2 for the Krait phantom the Hull is split into 2 meshes. I also got the feeling their LOD and culling system is really bad also in Horizons.

But do we know if the engine does some merging tricks before it actually renders, or pre bakes them or something in some other way? Seems unlikely as I would guess you're getting the meshes by extracting them from the game though...

I guess it still could somehow, but that'd just take CPU time to do so yeah...

Whatever they've done to it's really weird, because on foot sections and planets use 100% GPU (and run between 15 and 22 FPS) but also menus for some reason use loads of GPU.

Top Bottom