ANNOUNCEMENT Welcome to the new forums!

Brett C

Frontier
How does one change the email address for the forum account? Mine is incorrect, and I see no way to edit it via the preferences pages.

I tried the 'contact us' link, but it's not working properly. It goes to the corporate site, with a link back here to the forums that returns an error message.
Ditto. Can't figure out how to update email address.

S
PM/start a conversation me with what the email should be.

I know everyone put in a lot of effort and hard work to the new format and layout. Not to be a negative force and perhaps it is just me or maybe I am getting too old, ( or both), but to me the overall look and feel is too generic or perhaps dumbed down is a better word.

Maybe in time it will grow on me.

Can't easily put back font awesome icons to user titles on XenForo currently. Sort of was a hack-job i did to make that work on vBulletin (who doesn't like science?!).
Thanks for the answer Brett, I understand the difficulty.

Maybe one day you can write a module that will allow the reintegration of these exceptional icons ?

And again congratulations for the great work and the transition to the new forum !

Is there a way to reduce the left margin avatar area where it is not stealing the focus from the threads?

I am really trying not to be negative and like I mentioned earlier I realize people put in a lot of hard work for the new layout; but I can't help but feel I like I am back in grade school or kindergarten when in these forums. Sorta reminds me when everyone complained about Windows XP's "Fisher Price" theme.

Brett C

Frontier
Is there a way to reduce the left margin avatar area where it is not stealing the focus from the threads?

I am really trying not to be negative and like I mentioned earlier I realize people put in a lot of hard work for the new layout; but I can't help but feel I like I am back in grade school or kindergarten when in these forums. Sorta reminds me when everyone complained about Windows XP's "Fisher Price" theme.
Could you post a new thread here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/forum-support/ about that? Possibly with some screenshots to depict what you're describing?

I know everyone put in a lot of effort and hard work to the new format and layout. Not to be a negative force and perhaps it is just me or maybe I am getting too old, ( or both), but to me the overall look and feel is too generic or perhaps dumbed down is a better word.

Maybe in time it will grow on me.

I completely agree! I detest the square/boxy look everything seems to have these days - it looks like the "designers" put no effort whatsoever into it; it has no soul (for want of a better word) whatsoever. Although I, personally, like white on dark themes I understand completely why some can't use them and it is frankly disappointing that fdev didn't consider this when the change was made. Forum software that won't let the user select from a range of themes (although a quick look online reveals that it is, in fact, possible - clue: nodes), or time/date format is just ...

Last edited:
Possibly with some screenshots to depict what you're describing?
A lot probably comes down to native resolution and screen size, but for me also, it feels like there is a lot of noise to signal (actual topic posted words).
The amount of space taken up by the avatars, people's signatures, each comment's top and bottom bar (report - like - quote - reply)... it just feels off.

If the time is going to be changed, can we get UTC / in-game time added too please? It may make meetups etc easier if there's a non-relative time option.

A lot probably comes down to native resolution and screen size, but for me also, it feels like there is a lot of noise to signal (actual topic posted words).
The amount of space taken up by the avatars, people's signatures, each comment's top and bottom bar (report - like - quote - reply)... it just feels off.

If the time is going to be changed, can we get UTC / in-game time added too please? It may make meetups etc easier if there's a non-relative time option.

I posted a copy with screenshots as Bret suggested in this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/left-margin-area.507311/

Yes - there is a lot of wasted space in these areas. The left margin avatar area looks too large in comparison to the text body.

Last edited:
What browser and version?

We do have a "fingerprint" tool active on the forums. XenForo uses it for ban enforcement and user discouragement (it does what the word says it does). Sounds like that might be running more than what it should and using CPU i/o. I will dig into this issue.

I noticed this using the latest version of Firefox (Ubuntu Linux), and I'm seeing the CPU spike now with this editor open, but not when I go to pages like the "Watched" section. The CPU usage is high regardless if I'm actually typing or not. However, I'm not getting any indications of bandwidth utilization while just typing.

ps - this editor is always "open" in threads, at the bottom, waiting for my reply. Even after I post this CPU usage stays up until I leave the page.

When planning the migration, did it really not occur to ANY of the people involved that not being able to change the theme away from this vile white on black would be a major issue?

So millennial.

We do have a "fingerprint" tool active on the forums. XenForo uses it for ban enforcement and user discouragement
Nice! Did you umm, figure out a way to do so which won't give lawyers an opportunity to claim that privacy is being breached? (This is apparently why XF doesn't have it as a built-in.)
I noticed this using the latest version of Firefox (Ubuntu Linux), and I'm seeing the CPU spike now with this editor open, but not when I go to pages like the "Watched" section.
Did you try the about:performance info in FF? I don't see this CPU-hungry behaviour on my machine at present.

We do have a "fingerprint" tool active on the forums. XenForo uses it for ban enforcement and user discouragement (it does what the word says it does).

Certainly doing the trick for me ;)

I noticed this using the latest version of Firefox (Ubuntu Linux), and I'm seeing the CPU spike now with this editor open, but not when I go to pages like the "Watched" section. The CPU usage is high regardless if I'm actually typing or not. However, I'm not getting any indications of bandwidth utilization while just typing.

ps - this editor is always "open" in threads, at the bottom, waiting for my reply. Even after I post this CPU usage stays up until I leave the page.

I started using Ghostery to browse these fora, and for nothing else. In less than 24 hours, of which I used it for around 3 at most, it accounted for 89% of battery power used, and took the battery down from 100% to 44%.

It's possible to tweak things like the padding with a userstyle. I've used Stylus for this and published the script here (NB: do not use 'Stylish' to install such things, it has a bad rep for data harvesting since a buy-out): https://userstyles.org/styles/170426/frontier-forums-less-padding

Top Bottom