ANNOUNCEMENT Welcome to the new forums!

The login flow should be either Normal Login (like how it was pre-migration) and the Login with Frontier method. Login with Frontier is optional for pre-migration account on the Frontier Forums before March 24th, but recommended. New accounts will need to go thru the new registration system.
Clicking 'Login' (top-right link on the forums front page) immediately redirects to https://auth.frontierstore.net/auth?client_id=... , which does not accept an old-forums email+password. So, where is this mythical 'Normal Login' available ?

Give it a try now with the CPU usage? I've tweaked a couple settings for the editor and how the forum does fingerprint tracking of bots/spam tracking.

I performed a test by typing a blank message, and CPU usage was well within acceptable limits. Then I thought it would be wise to reply to your post, and when I quoting you, that's when the CPU spiked. It appears whatever javascript is "copying and pasting" quotes is the culprit. This would also explain why sometimes there is sometimes a delay in the quoted text appearing in this box. It actually interrupts my typing on occasion (the quote being inserted into the middle of a sentence).

ps - even after my reply is posted, the CPU usage stays high. The reply / quote seems to be the trigger, but not necessarily the cause (because it's still high right now even though I am not replying to anyone).

ps - even after my reply is posted, the CPU usage stays high. The reply / quote seems to be the trigger, but not necessarily the cause (because it's still high right now even though I am not replying to anyone).
As an experiment, try refreshing the screen. My Windows/Firefox session was running high CPU in the forums, without me doing anything. After a refresh it calmed down.

Hello Commanders,

Welcome to the new and improved Frontier Forums! We're so happy to have you here! Everything is now live and running on XenForo. All of our game forums are now together on one platform, and there are some great new features and improvements!

Here’s what you can expect from the new forums:

New Forum Features
  • Native mobile support with a responsive theme
  • New forum trophies
  • The developer tracker!
  • Personal news feed - follow your friends to see what they're up to!
  • A modern-day WYSIWYG editor
  • Native Two-Factor support
  • Post reaction system - replaces the vBulletin reputation system
  • Push Notifications - get notified in seconds on your mobile or desktop
  • Rich link previews.
  • Post & Thread bookmarking
  • Auto-embed of social posts. Just place the URL in your post, boom - it's embedded!
  • Basic video upload and auto-embed support (limited to MP4, WEBM and OGG currently)
  • Sidebar widgets (on the right side)
  • Inline spoilers. When you tab or click on the text, it'll de-spoiler!
Here's a couple of features that are changing slightly on Xenforo (though the functionality/use remains the same!)

Reputation on vBulletin does not exist as reputation on XenForo. Basically, reputation on the old forums has now been converted into post likes.

Emoticons/Smilies?
Smilies from the previous vBulletin are not included on Xenforo, as it natively supports emoticons.

Where is my signature picture?
XenForo does not support directly uploaded signature pictures. You will need to host the images elsewhere and then use the image function in the editor to link to them to your profile.

Why are attachments missing from various posts?
Numerous attachments that have not had any recent views have been removed from the attachments database. Attachments take up a huge portion of our forum storage, so we took this opportunity to clean up a little!

If you have any feedback about the new forums, or any changes we have made to older sections, please feel free to reply here with your thoughts. Should you have any other questions, we're around to help you ASAP!

Thank you so much for bearing with us through this process; we are so excited about the new look and feel of everything. We hope you find your new home just as welcoming as they should be.
Nice

o7 Cmdrs. I love this forum...great work folks. Will I be able to change my username ? I think I have to wait 30 days ?

Please reconsider the login options for forum as in make the default login the forum account and optional the store account.
Or at least add a “Legacy Forum Login” link to the main forum guest top bar.

(Forum login won’t work for new users, so making it the default is probably a no-no.)

EDIT: Never mind, I see it was changed already. :)

Okay, so Google doesn't ask for a puzzle at every log in. I am relieved.

But I am sorry to have to add a big But again.
Why do you include "reactions" into the "Latest Activity stream?

"Latest Activity" was my way to scan the Elite forum, without having to log in, for new, interesting submissions. "New posts" is not an alternative since no snippets of the content is displayed there.

Now, it not only seems saturated with non-Elite (=not atz all interesting) content, but is also swamped with completely meaningless "reaction" notifications.

Reaction notifications matter to those who follow a topic or an individual poster. They are not, however, helpful in any way if you want to scan the forums. In fact, they are a roadblock.

Second point.
All those floating bars
are oh-so nicey.
Back in end of the 1990, people ran crazy with Frames on websites. Turned out frames are a bad idea all in all, unremoveably standing in the way of the viewer.

This forum here re-introduces that old frames business in nice css: I have my screen crammed with header and footer bars that just stand in my way when al I want ins to read the actual content of your forums, and which are completely useless once I have anticipated them (a notification in the footer, floating header menues in two rows, huge "Your Changes has been Saved" (duh! really!) or "Last message in Thread" notifications ...). This doesn't serve any purpose than making it harder to browse through threads. Very techie but certainly not user-friendly.

Conclusion
I am totally not impressed, sorry. Web 4.0 is nice and bright and shiny, but sometimes, good old 1.0 principles do still keep their meaning.

Last edited:
As an experiment, try refreshing the screen. My Windows/Firefox session was running high CPU in the forums, without me doing anything. After a refresh it calmed down.

When I "reply" like I'm doing now, CPU spikes. If I refresh, it goes back down*, but 9 times out of 10 I lose my text. Now I can copy-n-paste, but if I have to do this every single time I reply to someone, then I may just look at switching to Reddit, LOL.

* Down is relative. Even when this site isn't pegging the CPU, it's still more power-hungry than the majority of sites I frequent.

Last edited:
When I "reply" like I'm doing now,...
In testing this (Chrome's performance tracker didn't seem to show much for me) I find myself wondering if there's any way to cancel posting a reply. Refreshing the page doesn't and I see no 'cancel' button.

To be unhelpful in the best tradition of the forums.

The text looks about the same size for me and while avatars might be slightly bigger, or at least easier to see what they are, at the size of my thumbnail they are in no way huge.
Compared to previous forum they are.

No clock/page loaded timestamp.
Bots active.(don't recall bumping into them on the old site)
I am being prodded to enable push notification.To what end?

No clock/page loaded timestamp.
Bots active.(don't recall bumping into them on the old site)
I am being prodded to enable push notification.To what end?

What bots? Is it the Xenforo fingerprinting / discourager bot,or something else? 'Cos this might help explain the cpu usage / battery usage I'm seeing with the new fora.

re bots: One called google,one yanax.There might be more.
Xenforo fingerprinting / discourager bot is that like an auto yafflehammer?o_O

Last edited:
In testing this (Chrome's performance tracker didn't seem to show much for me) I find myself wondering if there's any way to cancel posting a reply. Refreshing the page doesn't and I see no 'cancel' button.

In the editor there's an icon of a floppy disk - for me the penultimate icon. Clicking it let's you "delete draft". You need to then refresh the page to see that any text has been cleared from the reply box.

Top Bottom