Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I have 2 EVGA brand new unopened 2080 RTX AOI water-cooled cards in the box, I bought them before COVID-19 and all the shortages, paid about $650.00 US for them. I got to get rid of them. I'm afraid if I put them on eBay they'll start a bidding war, I just want what I paid for them (Karma).

Anyway, last night was very interesting, made it back with 8% hull integrity, picked a fight with a wing of 3, 2 Krait MkII's and an Anaconda. The thing that got me was the Anaconda launched a Taipan, I've only seen that when the bigger ships were alone. By the time I realized I had 4 ships attacking me my shields were gone

Anyway, last night was very interesting, made it back with 8% hull integrity, picked a fight with a wing of 3, 2 Krait MkII's and an Anaconda. The thing that got me was the Anaconda launched a Taipan, I've only seen that when the bigger ships were alone. By the time I realized I had 4 ships attacking me my shields were gone
Man, Taipans are a PAIN to get rid of. Unlike the other SLFs they can actually take a hit. It feels kind of unfair as when you are using one, they kind of suck in comparison to the other models.
I'm used to checking my opponent prior to fight, nowadays. When I know the pirate has got an SLF I just hit them once and wait for them to start launching. As soon as the SLF appears underneath them and hit it with everything I've got. If I don't manage to kill it before it leaves the launch rail and start dodging and I see it's a Taipan, I'm just bailing out. I'm a coward. :LOL:

Man, Taipans are a PAIN to get rid of. Unlike the other SLFs they can actually take a hit. It feels kind of unfair as when you are using one, they kind of suck in comparison to the other models.
I'm used to checking my opponent prior to fight, nowadays. When I know the pirate has got an SLF I just hit them once and wait for them to start launching. As soon as the SLF appears underneath them and hit it with everything I've got. If I don't manage to kill it before it leaves the launch rail and start dodging and I see it's a Taipan, I'm just bailing out. I'm a coward. :LOL:
This is at a resource extraction site, I have noticed that a smaller red square will appear in the middle of my target, then I know what's about to launch. The shields on those little fighters regenerate super fast, I like to snipe the bigger ships from more than 5Km with cannons to get the system cops to start in on them then take out it's wing mates first. By the time I turn to the large ship, it's shields are usually gone.

I have 2 EVGA brand new unopened 2080 RTX AOI water-cooled cards in the box, I bought them before COVID-19 and all the shortages, paid about $650.00 US for them. I got to get rid of them. I'm afraid if I put them on eBay they'll start a bidding war, I just want what I paid for them (Karma).

Maybe set a decent starting price with the first one and let the bidders decide. Then you can maybe sell the second card on the cheap if you make any profit.

I worked in the industry for a while when I got out of the military, and I have a lot of stuff laying around. The problem is that they become antiques very quickly, I'd almost give them away just to see someone using them, I don't need the money at all. I buy lots of video cards because I fold proteins for Stanford University (cures for diseases), 2 more used watercooled 2080's and a half dozen used 1080's.

All they ever did was fold protiens, Roseta@home, milkyway@home and weather@home through BOINC, tons of motherboards, processors, memory, PSU's. I got it all except cases and I do NOT do crypto. I still have 1 more EVGA 3080 AIO unopened that I'm putting in this Threadripper rig, before I got solar panels I was paying $800 to $1000 a month on electric. This computer has a 1600 watt PSU and I'm using 1200 watts 24/7.

I had run into a situation like this before, very embarrassing....🥺 I was chicken'ed out quick enough before my shield got ripped.

You should be graceful as the other 2 K2 don't have SLF too.

Any CMDR encountered wing of 3 with 3 SLF??

I'm experimenting with dedicated medium combat ships on and off to try and be using something other than the Krait II all the time in this role.
The FDL is pretty good, and I might learn to deal with the narrow speed range in which it actually turns well and the drift, but to my eye the cockpit is fundamentally broken with its off centre seating position. It feels so wrong to me.

I'm now trying out the Mamba. I love the cockpit, visibility and seating position. I love the straight line speed and the style. I've discovered from the teachings of another commander how you can make it turn quickly. Bit complicated, but could be learned. This could then be an assassination mission ship. Tried a planet scan mission in it this morning, because you often have to scan a comms tower to track down the target of an assassination mission. I prefer to do this inside a ship with the datalink scanner as it saves time. You can't do this with large ships and ships with a long nose like the Anaconda. It turns out the pontoons on the Mamba that stick out the front are also too long for you to be able to get the nose of the ship close enough to the comms tower to do the datalink scan. These missions are then only possible with an SRV bay in a Mamba which would mean taking out a docking computer or supercruise assist to make it fit.
In short, the Mamba doesn't fit my requirements for a combat ship to do assassination type missions sigh

I may resort to refitting my AX Chieftain for human ship combat or flying an ugly duckling like the FAS - and ugly doesn't fit with Quain's nature. I want more guns than a Vulture will provide. I'm running out of options....

Last edited:
Right hand side HUD, "Inventory" tab (at least in Horizons...), then selsect the Synthesis icon from the column on the left (same place where you can synthesize e.g. ammo or SRV repairs), then scroll until you reach the life support synthesis. You will need two Iron and one Nickel for a refill.
Thanks.

Man, I wish I had known about that. I was sweating bullets making it.

I'm experimenting with dedicated medium combat ships on and off to try and be using something other than the Krait II all the time in this role.
The FDL is pretty good, and I might learn to deal with the narrow speed range in which it actually turns well and the drift, but to my eye the cockpit is fundamentally broken with its off centre seating position. It feels so wrong to me.

I'm now trying out the Mamba. I love the cockpit, visibility and seating position. I love the straight line speed and the style. I've discovered from the teachings of another commander how you can make it turn quickly. Bit complicated, but could be learned. This could then be an assassination mission ship. Tried a planet scan mission in it this morning, because you often have to scan a comms tower to track down the target of an assassination mission. I prefer to do this inside a ship with the datalink scanner as it saves time. You can't do this with large ships and ships with a long nose like the Anaconda. It turns out the pontoons on the Mamba that stick out the front are also too long for you to be able to get the nose of the ship close enough to the comms tower to do the datalink scan. These missions are then only possible with an SRV bay in a Mamba which would mean taking out a docking computer or supercruise assist to make it fit.
In short, the Mamba doesn't fit my requirements for a combat ship to do assassination type missions sigh

I may resort to refitting my AX Chieftain for human ship combat or flying an ugly duckling like the FAS - and ugly doesn't fit with Quain's nature. I want more guns that a Vulture will provide. I'm running out of options....
You could consider the Chieftain’s sister ships the Challenger and the Crusader they are a little chunkier but have a similar weapons layout and handling.

Thanks.

Man, I wish I had known about that. I was sweating bullets making it.
It's still the same in Odyssey.
If you're in need of raw materials and have never heard about the "crystal shards" sites where all grade 5 raw materials except Selenium can be found, let me know and I'll post link to a YouTube video. You'd need about 4 hours to visit all the site and max out your stocks which can then be traded down to other grades of raw material. 1500ly+ outside the bubble and you need at least about 40ly jump range to reach it due to a bit of a dead spot for stars on the way.

Back
Top Bottom