Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

mRcwYtq.jpg

Eephaills AA-A H62 at about 2750 LY. 29 April 3310

Tenth was David Tennant.

Yes you are right to be afraid there are a lot* of very good episodes ahead of you and they are just starting to tease us about the latest series starting soon(tm).

*They have been running 1 or more series and specials every year since then pretty much.

My favorite doctor was the guy with the bowtie and fez and fishstick in the pudding

Sure. Quite a lot, to be honest. They're just a little awkward to reach while you have both hands on the controller...

Try it!

Sure. Quite a lot, to be honest. They're just a little awkward to reach while you have both hands on the controller...

I'm still using the DS4 controller (and sofa) from my console days, I think I've found a way to do just about everything I want with 2-button combinations and long holds. Had to make some compromises of course - I mapped one button to cycle through grenade types, rather than have different buttons for different types, for example.

I use a mini wireless keyboard for things like typing in the galaxy map though - I wearied of navigating around the letters on the virtual keyboard.

I think I've found a way to do just about everything I want with 2-button combinations and long holds. Had to make some compromises of course - I mapped one button to cycle through grenade types, rather than have different buttons for different types, for example.
Yeah, that's how I did it, too... But it is a bit unfortunate that I have to use a button combo to switch from yaw to lateral movement of the ship. I would prefer to have two extra buttons to map for the lateral movement, so that I would be able to use it whenever the need arises without having to sacrifice yaw for it.
And for the on-foot fighting steering, that's something I'm not entirely done with.
I use a mini wireless keyboard for things like typing in the galaxy map though - I wearied of navigating around the letters on the virtual keyboard.
I use my standard keyboard for typing and a few non-essential stuff like screenshots.

I did. More than once. Doable in calm situations like taking pictures, but in a fight or other situations that require all hands on deck? Just a call for desaster.

For what it's worth, I take pretty badass pictures with the controller!

And I don't use the alternate flight controls anymore

We can only show you the door CMDR Timber McWolf. And perhaps offer encouragement. Well, did you try drawing on a knob and knock three times?

1714467631559.png

The advantage of a HOTAS is that it can be placed/stuck/bolted to the desk or flight chair freeing the hands from holding the controls in place so it is much more feasible to use the keyboard mouse and all the other additional input devices.
It's not about putting the controller down to reach for the keyboard as such. It's about having to press a key while needing both hands on the controller.

In the game I am still conducting my experiment into SLF pilot performance, actually I suppose I am still getting the ingredients ready for the experiment as I still haven’t raised the new one to Elite.
The good news is they reached Dangerous last session so the bulk of the ranks have been achieved.
The bad news is that they are only about a quarter of the way through the ranking.

I will need to move out of this Haz RES soon as I am nearly out of fighters and am starting to get storage full messages almost every time a ship I target has data to scan, plus the main fuel tank is running low now this would normally not be an issue as the system is inhabited the star is scoopable and my carrier is here but I have one of the new drives fitted so one miss timed boost and I might get very embarrassed.

It's good to flex the hand and take it off the controller anyway and punching a key can be a handy reminder.

But those special deluxe little button boards could be great if ur sitting back in an armchair or something, actually.

It's not about putting the controller down to reach for the keyboard as such. It's about having to press a key while needing both hands on the controller.

You can do it duders wherever you find good old-fashioned pressing buttons like perhaps an old adding machine

But don't press your luck!

Top Bottom