Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I did Hutton run early for the money in a Cobra, got to just above 1800c.
No super cruise and full throttle all the way. Highest speed occurs when half way to anywhere.
Try not to get bored and do any barrel rolls as it loses speed. I thought that it would be a good speed run for a competition.
Where you could get a bobble Mug?

I used to love doing the Hutton run. When I made my base in Sol at Galileo I'd do a lot of trips to Hutton in my Python with tons of stacked cargo/data missions. I loved it, just point your ship in the right direction and go do some housework or sit back and read a book then in about an hour and a half (I think that's how long it took?) collect millions of credits. Then there were usually a few pretty profitable missions heading out as well. Then it got to where I could hardly find the missions anymore or not enough to stack and make a really profitable trip. Later after getting Trade Elite I moved to Jameson and have spent most of my time either exploring or in CGs and haven't even been back to the area to check on missions.

I used to love doing the Hutton run. When I made my base in Sol at Galileo I'd do a lot of trips to Hutton in my Python with tons of stacked cargo/data missions. I loved it, just point your ship in the right direction and go do some housework or sit back and read a book then in about an hour and a half (I think that's how long it took?) collect millions of credits. Then there were usually a few pretty profitable missions heading out as well. Then it got to where I could hardly find the missions anymore or not enough to stack and make a really profitable trip. Later after getting Trade Elite I moved to Jameson and have spent most of my time either exploring or in CGs and haven't even been back to the area to check on missions.
Dude, how are you not dead from boredom? I barely made it to Colonia without smashing my face against my Hutton Mug :)

Dude, how are you not dead from boredom? I barely made it to Colonia without smashing my face against my Hutton Mug :)

Well I can get a little bored sometimes on long expeditions when I haven't found anything interesting in a while and I'm just jump/honk/scan-ing my way through unremarkable systems. Usually I end up finding something really cool and get back in the spirit pretty quickly. But as I said, on the Hutton run I would just do other things like laundry or reading (which I enjoy as much if not more than video games) so I didn't get bored doing those. The only time I was bored to the point of smashing my face against the wall was during the planetary circumnavigation expedition on Kumay. A month of SRV driving was pretty rough but it would only get bad on the long stretches between rally points, which were usually some mountain or valley complex so amazing that I'd be charged back up for the next long leg.

It was sort of cheating but I made it from Colonia to the Bubble in one jump. I purchased a Sidey, did one jump, crashed it in to the star and refused the insurance rebuy.

I got to Jameson’s in a free Sidey then purchased and A rated a Krait II. Of course I can’t engineer it because that has been borked.
I’ll mainly be running merits to get Prismatic Sheild. I also have my DBX that jumps around 65ly. May run some passenger missions.
I’ll get my shields then head back out to Colonia.

Then I don’t know.

If you want the authorities to give you a few free rides on your way back, there's the Colonia Prison Taxi: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/colonia-prison-taxi-14k-ly-to-colonia.477424/
You may have to rebuy a few times (if you're in a hurry - otherwise, there are enough crimes available you can commit outside the station and then sneak back in), so familiarize yourself with the screen or you may lose your ship, but even 4 rebuys are still cheaper than shipping the ship out there with the ship shipping ship.

Reminds me of a story regarding my total lunacy during the early days of playing.

I was on my way to a distant outpost, and answered the door to somebody. Long story short we have a coffee and a chat and I forget all about ED. An hour later I'm doing 2001C and have passsed the outpost by literally millions of light seconds.

So what so I do?

I turn around and fly millions of light seconds back, not even realising that I could high wake out and back in again and end up only 150,000 ls away.

Driving to work the next day fuming about having wasted an entire evening, I realised my error.....

Noob.

I was near Sol, so I nipped over to say hello to the earthlings. While I was there, I saw that Europa had some geo sites. Aha!

izZsFhq.jpg

This is me, on Europa, finding antimony and... wait for it... arsenic!

Saturn was too high in the sky to capture it with the SRV in one shot, sadly, and it's rings weren't on show eaither. Ah well.

I was near Sol, so I nipped over to say hello to the earthlings. While I was there, I saw that Europa had some geo sites. Aha!

izZsFhq.jpg

This is me, on Europa, finding antimony and... wait for it... arsenic!

Saturn was too high in the sky to capture it with the SRV in one shot, sadly, and it's rings weren't on show eaither. Ah well.

all-these-worlds-are-yours-except-europa.jpg

I just had a similar frustrating experience trying to capture everything in a screenshot but as long as you got to see it that's all that matters. I know I've visited Europa but I can't remember if I landed or not. Right after I got my Sol permit I did a little "Space Odyssey" tour of the solar system visiting all the locations from the novel/film 2001: A Space Odyssey and all the sequels. I would be really surprised if I didn't land there because it is pretty much the focus of all the sequels beginning with the ill-fated Chinese expedition that landed/died on Europa in 2010.

Last edited:
I am at the center of the galaxy exploring and mapping the inner systems, with jumps so close to each other with sometimes as much as 1ly only jump...
So much to see and do! :)

Current planned route as landed me 672 jumps to do, just to go a mere 1300Ly... At least will be really quick to get back to Explorers Anchorage to turn in the data!

I am at the center of the galaxy exploring and mapping the inner systems, with jumps so close to each other with sometimes as much as 1ly only jump...
So much to see and do! :)

Current planned route as landed me 672 jumps to do, just to go a mere 1300Ly... At least will be really quick to get back to Explorers Anchorage to turn in the data!

Sounds interesting! Are you taking photos to share with us?

Well I can get a little bored sometimes on long expeditions when I haven't found anything interesting in a while and I'm just jump/honk/scan-ing my way through unremarkable systems. Usually I end up finding something really cool and get back in the spirit pretty quickly. But as I said, on the Hutton run I would just do other things like laundry or reading (which I enjoy as much if not more than video games) so I didn't get bored doing those. The only time I was bored to the point of smashing my face against the wall was during the planetary circumnavigation expedition on Kumay. A month of SRV driving was pretty rough but it would only get bad on the long stretches between rally points, which were usually some mountain or valley complex so amazing that I'd be charged back up for the next long leg.
Then you overshoot and have to do a loop of shame :)

I just started playing, still in the pilot federation area, but I'm trying to get better at combat. Working on staying on target, right now flying a cobra and just started using medium fixed frag... First few enemies I killed purely with my 2 small gimbal lasers... But I've got noticeable better at flying now. Still need work on pip management and more active training with FA of.

I did the old "oh go on buy another copy in the Steam Sale before it ends" last night - gosh what a palaver. Frontier needs to get its act together over the registration, took me forever to finally find out how to get it sorted (8 times through the validation code loop).

After all that I then found I had to go through a "pilot certification process" (TUTORIAL) which I have to admit was quite well scripted but seemed to go on forever. I recorded most of it and I see that the recording
(it is on the yootoob on my MalcYorks channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoxH5mv_EoXQRxoPXvVKLyA/ )
is about 25 minutes long (and there was stuff either side of the recording). All that just to be able to actually get into the commander creation / starting process.

With those two issues I wonder just how many purchases get refunded.

Top Bottom