Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Since people have mentioned the delights of Hutton, I thought I'd put in a word for Cecil from HCS voicepacks. It He isn't a normal voicepack, it He doesn't "do" anything, it He is just a companion - Cecil B Trumpington - it is quite funny. Some examples can be heard on on Soundcloud, the following is worth a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/huttonorbital%2Fa-letter-to-alivn-defeer Source: https://soundcloud.com/huttonorbital/a-letter-to-alivn-defeer

(EDIT: A scriptblocker might prevent that showing / playing here if Soundcloud is blocked.)

(There are other fun tracks from Hutton on there.)

Last edited:
Grr.

Found a geo site for some raws I was running low on. Three out of four of the crystalline frgaments I found were stuck fast. I manoeuvred into evey angle possible but the blighters would not shift...

nbfcLtW.jpg

With the current increase in Federation reputation gains, I figured this was a good time to finally finish off Admiral. I've been Vice Admiral for a looong time.

I went from 43% to 100% in about 2 hours, so it was remarkably fast. If you're thinking about doing Fed rep, now is a good time :)

I am now Admiral King Codger. Sounds a bit pretentious, doesn't it? :p

admiralking.JPG

With the current increase in Federation reputation gains, I figured this was a good time to finally finish off Admiral. I've been Vice Admiral for a looong time.

I went from 43% to 100% in about 2 hours, so it was remarkably fast. If you're thinking about doing Fed rep, now is a good time :)

View attachment 154331

Hah! I s'pose that makes me "King Admiral ToF" :D

Just finished up a few sessions of double painite hotspot mining, making a easy 500 mil and finishing off the last 11% I needed for Trade Elite. Had a few newer commanders join my crew along the way to make some easy credits, which made the time go quicker.

Finishing off my last little bit of Fed rank by repairing some damaged stations right now. 24% away from Rear Admiral and access to the Corvette will be mine!

I am looking forward to flying it finally, but not looking forward to the dent it will put in my credits to outfit it.

They get close to scare you into running.....these Elite guys....
eliteclose5.jpg

Hey Giles wait till the green security npc's get here....
I have been hanging out in High RES zones slowly raising the combat ranking, still only competent at 92%.
Did not know that many types of ships will attack in these places. The Phantom Denis is semi hardened with shields and hulls engineering.
Still leaning patience, waiting for shields to drop. Sometimes once engaged in the battle the npc ship miraculously regens shields and the tide turns in their favor.
Running away seems like a good skill to have, learnt from avoiding interdiction, never forget it....

Last edited:
Ohai, Proto Lagrange Cloud:

3FZTEBi.png

First time finding such a thing - the 'Noteable Stellar Phenomenon' tags on the FSS and the local nav panel certainly got my attention!
The gases are pretty subtle here, but those great big crystal structures are pretty obvious!

And this rather foggy looking Water World was in the same system:

2y2pwKd.png

I wonder what the payout for the LG Cloud will be...

This second Colonia leg is much slower (about 100 20ish ly jumps to go) going - I'd already done the run out to Hillary Depot when I last played, a couple of years back, and upon my return decided to suicide back so I could fit a new Covas and the ship kit to my Keelback (means I had to spend 5 of the 7 million Cr I had on this character replacing the ship at full cost, but meh, I'm already back up to 14 McR thanks to a little judicious asset liqidation and a phat 7.6 McR exploration payout when I hit Hillary Depot for the second time.

Hopefully when I get to the Lagoon Sector landing point I'll clock up even more wonga - angled out a bit from the main highway, and although not every system is uncharted, many have had unmapped worlds. I'm not mapping them all - life is waaay too short, and I wan't to actually arrive at Colonia this time, and it also leaves some stuff for follow on travellers to find - nothing quite so disheartening as getting out of the bubble to find every new system fully explored - I know the trip to Colonia is hardly the deepest exploration attempt, but we all gotta start somewhere!

View attachment 154331
Where as I am Admiral King Midas in reverse.

The credits are disappearing fast. :unsure:

Still leaning patience, waiting for shields to drop. Sometimes once engaged in the battle the npc ship miraculously regens shields and the tide turns in their favor.

Some of the (higher end) NPCs runn SCBs (Shield Cell Boosters) - you can see them recharging the shields with a nice pulsating animation of their shield. Several options here - I usually try to hit them hard and fast to bring down the shields (SCBs only work if there's some shield left to recharge), after which they usually take a long time to come up again. Other people like Railguns with the Feedback Cascade effect, which will directly damage the SCBs while they're in operation.

Ohai, Proto Lagrange Cloud:

3FZTEBi.png

First time finding such a thing - the 'Noteable Stellar Phenomenon' tags on the FSS and the local nav panel certainly got my attention!
The gases are pretty subtle here, but those great big crystal structures are pretty obvious!

And this rather foggy looking Water World was in the same system:

2y2pwKd.png

I wonder what the payout for the LG Cloud will be...

This second Colonia leg is much slower (about 100 20ish ly jumps to go) going - I'd already done the run out to Hillary Depot when I last played, a couple of years back, and upon my return decided to suicide back so I could fit a new Covas and the ship kit to my Keelback (means I had to spend 5 of the 7 million Cr I had on this character replacing the ship at full cost, but meh, I'm already back up to 14 McR thanks to a little judicious asset liqidation and a phat 7.6 McR exploration payout when I hit Hillary Depot for the second time.

Hopefully when I get to the Lagoon Sector landing point I'll clock up even more wonga - angled out a bit from the main highway, and although not every system is uncharted, many have had unmapped worlds. I'm not mapping them all - life is waaay too short, and I wan't to actually arrive at Colonia this time, and it also leaves some stuff for follow on travellers to find - nothing quite so disheartening as getting out of the bubble to find every new system fully explored - I know the trip to Colonia is hardly the deepest exploration attempt, but we all gotta start somewhere!
Molluscs and other structures are often associated with the metallic crystals.They usually hang around LaGrange points,but you might need to scout around a bit.They will show up on radar.

I only drink one coffee a week - bear with me, this is going somewhere... 😵

The FdL is now as engineered as I want it to be, short of a few tweaks to the shield boosters, so I took Lady Sybil Ramkin to the local High Res.

Infested with baddies, I leaped into the fray with the Feds and went gung-ho on their rears. Are those live rounds? Seven six two centimetre, full metal jacket!

"This is my multicannon. There are many like it but this one is mine. My multicannon is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multicannon is useless. Without my multicannon I am useless. I must fire my multicannon true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my multicannon and myself are defenders of my system, we are the masters of my enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen. "

And then I ran out of ammo.

😤

Q'PLAH!

I blame the coffee.

Last edited:
Molluscs and other structures are often associated with the metallic crystals.They usually hang around LaGrange points,but you might need to scout around a bit.They will show up on radar.

Oooh, I just had to google up the mollusc's - didn't see anything like that, but I didn't know what I was looking for - stopped a few jumps over to fully map a system, so I might have to go back and take a closer look...

Also this system I'm mapping has 2 gas Giants with 2x painite hotspots in their rings, I might have to come back and try out this mining malarky (its been a verrrrrry long time since I did any ED mining!). Any recomendations on a ship? I hear a lot about Kraits being used for mining, how about Pythons? And how about a budget ship? (ie: Ship and fittings for 20McR or less, can still carry a fair chunk and have the legs to do about 20ly a jump).

Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Edit: I should add I don't anticipate a full introduction to mining and mining spec-ships+loadouts (I should prabably start a new thread for that!), but just a few quick pointers for a curious CMDR considering a quick dabble.

Last edited:
Any recomendations on a ship? I hear a lot about Kraits being used for mining, how about Pythons? And how about a budget ship? (ie: Ship and fittings for 20McR or less, can still carry a fair chunk and have the legs to do about 20ly a jump).

Pythons are supposed to be good at Painite mining (never tried in one, I don't like them). Budget ships would be the DBX or Keelback.

Top Bottom