Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

A bit late to the game but I just took on and won my first "take out the scavs at a base" combat mission.

Well... when I say "won", I did soften them up a bit by laying down supporting fire from the ship...

Well... when I say "a bit" I, of course, meant: a lot.
It's a good job the buildings don't take damage when we do that, we could end up with
Mission reward 325,000 credits.
Bill for damages to Settlement 25,000,000 credits.

I made myself curious, so I looked at my current DBX build (on Codger). It has a 67.97 LY jump range, using an FSD booster and normal 5A FSD with G5 engineering, mass manager, all that jazz.

If I were to put one of the double-engineered 5As on it, that would go to 73.66 (with mass manager added). That's pretty groovy.

Not that I need to jump great distances in it, really. These days I just park my carrier in some out of the way spot where almost nothing is discovered, and then use the DBX to investigate the systems in the area.

Still...I'll probably do it just because. :) Once I return to the bubble, that is.
I am currently in Colonia doing the final fittings to my DBX which I will take to Sag A before I return to the bubble.

With the double 5A mass managered, FSD booster, 3A shields, SRV hanger, AFMU, Surface scanner, 4A scoop and D rated bits and basically all the slots used but no weapons I got over 76LY max jump.

i could probably wring it to 77+ or 78 because my power plant is 3A but has 20% excess power and am still using A rated thrusters. I think an armored thermal spread 2A should give enough juice and save some weight along with D thrusters.

Last edited:
Coming in to land, was in the galaxy map while slowing down; somehow my hardpoints deployed. I honestly don't know how. Moment I get out of galaxy map - left click, fire. And now of course every turret is shooting at me, so landing is probably not going to happen here!

And of course, can't just go to the local star port, pay the tiny bounty, and fix it; no, have to go to another system to find an interstellar factor to pay the damn thing.

Not a fan of the fines system in ED. It is constantly opaque as to why I can't pay a fine/bounty where I am, nor where I ought to be going. For a game where ~60% of missions are marked illegal, you'd think it would be a bit easier to pay off your fines. Have they never done a BACS transfer in the future?

And this was of course while I had a passenger aboard, who is now annoyed 😾

Been jumping around a few more Engineers with Tanya's Vette.
Glad I did. Didn't realise, no weapons above grade 3*, no armour above grade 3.
All layzoors now G5, fortunately there was a raw trader in Muang.

Just a bit of armour left to do, but considering the Bi-weaves never drop anyway, meh.

*Which explains why stuff wasn't blowing up very quickly.

Time to engineer this KWS.

No, don't need to get the kill shot.
As long as you've tagged them you should get credit.*

*There is some kind of time limit involved between tagging them and their death, but I've no idea what it is.
It was 10 seconds at one point, though I think it's been changed to be more forgiving. Might be 15 or even a bit more.
It's definitely not as simple as "tag the target and forget about it" as Neo suggested

Also (I know this isn't the case but still) - this doesn't work with human players. If two people are shooting at the target, it's the kill shot that counts, always. No timers.
edit: Unless they are in a wing, of course. Then it really works the way Neo said - both players need to tag the target, but after that, it doesn't matter which one of them is going to take the kill, they will share the bounty.

Last edited:
Grinding my way through Assassination missions to get to Rear Admiral. I can almost smell the interior of the Vette!
Keep coming across a wing of three, just floating in space. One of them asks for help, but there's no way to communicate. I've taken it to mean they're just collatarel damage and things could get tasty, if a packhound went stray. It's getting as repetative as the "Well, this is awkward..." message. Am I missing something?

Grinding my way through Assassination missions to get to Rear Admiral. I can almost smell the interior of the Vette!
Keep coming across a wing of three, just floating in space. One of them asks for help, but there's no way to communicate. I've taken it to mean they're just collatarel damage and things could get tasty, if a packhound went stray. It's getting as repetative as the "Well, this is awkward..." message. Am I missing something?

Those are merely spectators. Any attacks on them will result in fines and bounties. Not sure if they’re there to ensure that you complete the mission but yeah, a lot of the solo assassinations are set up like this

I think they are the pirate's 'victims',

Last edited:
Time to engineer this KWS.

No, don't need to get the kill shot.
As long as you've tagged them you should get credit.*

*There is some kind of time limit involved between tagging them and their death, but I've no idea what it is.
The time limit when I learnt it was 10 seconds as long as the other shooting the target isn’t a player in which case it is the kill shot that counts.

If you were in a wing as long as one of you met the above criteria everyone in the wing who had tagged the target got the bounty.

The above is when just shooting pirates, not missions as I rarely bothered with them.

Decided to get myself allied with the Inara Nexus faction - the latest of the large player factions that I'm gaining rep with, because as we all know, the best missions happen when you've got the rep maxed. So far I've done Fleet Carrier Owner's Club, and Communist Insterstellar Union. I think the eventual goal is to have at least one allied faction in every system... but I'm not sure how I will actually know when I've achieved that. Might need a level of planning and organisation that I am literally incapable of 😹

Anyway, I'm a little bored of cargo running, so I decided to pick up some surface salvage missions ranging 2-4 rep bars, and all in the same system. The first one caused me to be interdicted 4 times, and a random 5th guy in a T10 joined in one the final combat, but he did as much damage to my pirate as to me so... obviously I killed him and looted his materials. Jerk.

Anyway (again), the third of 3 missions finally provided a reason to use that scorpion SRV I've been carrying! A few annoying skimmers that quickly disappeared under a volley of missile fire. For some reason I had to loot 4 of the required 3 geological samples (which resulted in 1 "stolen" that I had to destroy), and the skimmers randomly respawned, but it worked out. Also cannisters have a real habit of leaping into the sky and then raining down on my SRV, but they don't seem to do any damage other than to muh immersion.

salvaging.jpg

End result, 5 million in bounties, a decent amount of manufactured materials, and about 250k worth of legal salvage to sell. Also about 1/3 of the way into friendly with Inara Nexus. Turns out the actual cheddar comes from letting the interdictions happen. Sure, they're easy to fight off, but you get a lot of money and materials if you don't!

...not gonna lie, this is not a fast way of going about this 😹 Buuut if you don't take the time to go places in this game, are you playing it for the right reasons? Is G5 engineering really going to make this ship so much better than G4 that it's worth grinding it out hardcore?

Edit: my next surface recovery mission... is on a gas giant? #concern

Edit 2: it had sent me to a system with zero landable planets, so it turned into just a space recovery mission 😹 Another 2 million in bounties and a stack of mats. One day these guys are going to start thinking "Hmm... that pilot is flying a cutter and has a 5 year flight record. Maybe I won't interdict after all."

Last edited:
Top Bottom