Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Well, to once again return to the OP question:

I burried my brother, today. I haven't been playing Elite for the last week, but now I'm ready to start again. I think it will be a nice therapy.
I'm thinking of once again clearing my save and starting over. Maybe a clean mining+exploration playthrough. It should be fun. :)

Sad to hear that, Chris; I am sorry for your loss. :(

Deleted member 38366

D
Currently on a Tour to fill-in some blanks on Volcanism for a few Galactic Sectors.

Temple, Vulcan Gate, Errant Marches campaigns were successful, The Formidine Rift completed early with a lucky find enroute - but still need to cross it entirely to reach Kepler's Crest.
I dared another attempt at locating the most elusive type of Volcanism but essentially screwed up on the homework lol. Wasted 3 entire days due to "human error" :p

Still a good trip and all onboard Systems of the TEV Aurora at 100%. Not too shabby. Should be back home again after approx. 50000 LY more travel.

Congrats Sinisalo and TomcatMF.

Three years! Now I have a target to beat, haha.

Last night I stumbled across Technetium on Deciat2. I knew it was there, but at 0.8% wasn't expecting much. Needed a few to get Level 5 multicannons with Tod the Blaster completed and using a raw mats trader was so expensive (6 Yttrium for 1 Technetium!). Found nothing in one geo zone, then had a windfall of 18 --- EIGHTEEN!--- at the second geo zone. See you tonight to get my Challenger upgraded Tod.....

As an aside, boy am I growing to love that SRV. I want to do rallycross in it. I want to play CTF in it. I want to play BattleZone in it. I want to engage Thargoid footsoldiers in it. I want to engineer it into a cross between a Subaru Impreza RB5 and a M1Abrams MBT. Devs, listen up.........

I'm back at Dav's. For some reason I really enjoy just pootling around the place - sad, I know - and I get a cheap little thrill every time I pick up some chemical manipulators :D

A couple of things struck me, though. I'd like to be able to reduce the HUD and cockpit (SRV and ship) so that it's on-screen size was smaller, as well as the font. Is this doable? It'd be nice to see more scenery and less space taken by the tech (while maintaining all the functionality).

Also, I'd like to be able to change my COVAS on board ship. I haven't looked but I think this is only doable via the livery at stations, isn't it? And can your SRV COVAS be a different one to your ship? I haven't looked so I might be answering own questions soon :D

Lastly, another question. When you pick up some data point for Alliance, Fed, Imp etc. does this add to rep with that superpower when you hand it in? It'd be minimal I'm sure.

A couple of things struck me, though. I'd like to be able to reduce the HUD and cockpit (SRV and ship) so that it's on-screen size was smaller, as well as the font. Is this doable? It'd be nice to see more scenery and less space taken by the tech (while maintaining all the functionality).

FOV?
You can slide it all the way to insanity if you edit the .xml

If you overdo it, you'll get a fish eye, depending on your monitor, but you can get away with quite a lot.

I love Dav's too, I treat it like a sort of racing mini-game, though I suppose it's more like running time trials/hot laps LOL. Can't help but think what a depressing, remote output it is to live and work in.

Chris, I'm assuming this is the line:

<FOV>60.000000</FOV>

What increments can be used and what is the theoretical maximum/optimum, would you know? Or possibly advise on? Much appreciated!

I don't want to enter something stupid and get the game all crashtastic.

Chris, I'm assuming this is the line:

<FOV>60.000000</FOV>

What increments can be used and what is the theoretical maximum/optimum, would you know? Or possibly advise on? Much appreciated!

I don't want to enter something stupid and get the game all crashtastic.
I think I have it set around 95. I guess if you're not happy with the in-game maximum, you can start at 80 or 90 and go up by five.
Depends on your monitor, too. With ultra-wide monitors can handle ridiculous FOVs without looking fish-eye-ey.

If you're not looking around much (with head tracking and so), you can have it set quite high, but if you use head tracking or you are used to looking around a lot in general, then the fish-eye effect can be a bit nauseating.

Drat. Forgot to try this and Mrs. Tyres has gone all online shopping on me so it will be a while.

Time to add a laptop to my device collection? :D

I was thinking though... how far, on average, does one have to travel from say, Diaguandri before unexplored systems start appearing? I suppose I should just pick a direction and keep going.

I'm enjoying the newer explo model these days and I've got the bug back to do more of it. Currently at 47% Ranger so there's truckloads to find before getting my second Elite.

Drat. Forgot to try this and Mrs. Tyres has gone all online shopping on me so it will be a while.

Time to add a laptop to my device collection? :D

I was thinking though... how far, on average, does one have to travel from say, Diaguandri before unexplored systems start appearing? I suppose I should just pick a direction and keep going.

I'm enjoying the newer explo model these days and I've got the bug back to do more of it. Currently at 47% Ranger so there's truckloads to find before getting my second Elite.
Honestly, depends which direction you're going.
Definately some well travelled paths.
Avoid direction of Colonia, Sag A, Thargoid areas, Guardian areas (lot of organised explo in those areas).
I think 1500LY youre definately on track.

Head out towards crystalline shard sites, I've had a couple of first discovered ELWs and WWs within the last month out that way.

Wouldn't bother with The Coalsack.
(Still searching for the Moties!)

I aim for an area on Galmap, when I arrive I change over to economical, and keep checking Galmap for interesting stuff.
(try Galmap on realistic).

Last edited:

Depends on the direction. I recommend you fly away from spots you see mentioned on the forum a lot. In my experience doing this will have you finding untagged systems around 800-900 lightyears.

Make your course away from the core. Like the opposite direction, and you'll find them.

Wot Speedcuffs said :)

Go a little above or below the galactic plane, that gives you more virgin stuff. If you are feeling adventurous, have a wander out towards Thor’s Helmet, and then strike out towards the “Eastern” rim a bit. Plenty of stuff out there.

I’d highly recommend getting EDDiscovery, as there is a nice 3D map of the galaxy with loads of interesting places marked on it, which you can use to plot a course with. The galmap in game is a bit bobbins, really, when it comes to that sort of stuff.

You might run into my tags on the trip in some places ;)

Top Bottom