Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

What a week! My mom was out for the weekend and RL has been busy otherwise, so it's been a series of late nights to get through enough of the engineer grind to get my Krait II up to snuff. I got Elite Explorer in the process, and made a couple of trade ranks as well with all the mining I had to do! (My opinion of which changed considerably once I got myself a proper mining vessel! Turns out Explo-Kraits aren't so great a choice...)

No photolog today; everything was jump'n'grind until now. Standby for A11X photos, though!

OK, here's a few. Oh yeah, and this one...
Fs7wpiC.jpg

Still searching for bromellite. Only have 26 units but I may drop them off in case I'm forced into a Freewinder situation.

ETA

Delivered. Did some research, decamped the Krait from Diaguandri to Alioth and scoped out an icy ring nearby. Hopefully, this will yield more bromellite for the greedy Mr. Turner.

Jdqz8OY.jpg

Last edited:
After a few days of travelling I finally made it to the Bubble Nebula. Not only is this not off the beaten track, the track has a damn good thrashing! Didn't jump into a single untagged system en route. However, there were a bunch of unmapped items of interest, including an ELW, several WWs, and a boatload of THMCs. Should be worth a few million.

The object of the exercise was to find the elusive tubeworm. Unfortunately, either I misread something or just misunderstood because the target system I cut-n-pasted holds no tubeworms. But I found - surprise!! - bark mounds. And lots of them.

However, I have no complaints - the scenery out here is just spectacular:

Plan now is to have a snoop about some other systems in the nebula and then find a scenic route back home.

After a few days of travelling I finally made it to the Bubble Nebula. Not only is this not off the beaten track, the track has a damn good thrashing! Didn't jump into a single untagged system en route. However, there were a bunch of unmapped items of interest, including an ELW, several WWs, and a boatload of THMCs. Should be worth a few million.

The object of the exercise was to find the elusive tubeworm. Unfortunately, either I misread something or just misunderstood because the target system I cut-n-pasted holds no tubeworms. But I found - surprise!! - bark mounds. And lots of them.

thats a shaved planet

Phew. 50 units of bromellite - done. Bill Turner G5 access - done. That's 14 engineers now. The rest is combat related.

What a slog that was. I'm sure I wasn't being very efficient but I've learnt a couple of things about mining but nothin about the splodey stuff yet. Another venture, another time; for now, I'm like the asteroids I've lasered - depleted on the mining wanna-do's.

Back to CR making :D

Last edited:
Phew. 50 units of bromellite - done. Bill Turner G5 access - done. That's 14 engineers now. The rest is combat related.

What a slog that was. I'm sure I wasn't being very efficient but I've learnt a couple of things about mining but nothin about the splodey stuff yet. Another venture, another time; for now, I'm like the asteroids I've lasered - depleted on the mining wanna-do's.

Back to CR making :D
Ironically enough, had you used "that 'splodey stuff" you are trying so hard to avoid, you'd now have the access AND money and the whole thing wouldn't have felt like a slog. :)

Ironically enough, had you used "that 'splodey stuff" you are trying so hard to avoid, you'd now have the access AND money and the whole thing wouldn't have felt like a slog. :)
Not actively avoiding it, per se: just putting it off as it's an aspect of the game I will get around to - at some point. I don't rush into things you see (he said, having played for well over a year! :D )

What I found interesting though was LTDs. Yesterday, I sold one for just over 500k. Today, at the same station, it netted me 450k.

Not much of a profit hit, but had my T9 a full load, that would have been a little irksome. That's markets for you, I s'pose...

Not actively avoiding it, per se: just putting it off as it's an aspect of the game I will get around to - at some point. I don't rush into things you see (he said, having played for well over a year! :D )

What I found interesting though was LTDs. Yesterday, I sold one for just over 500k. Today, at the same station, it netted me 450k.

Not much of a profit hit, but had my T9 a full load, that would have been a little irksome. That's markets for you, I s'pose...
Yes, the high value ores and stuff fluctuate quite drastically, mainly because demand for them is usually quite low.

That's one of the reasons why I ditched the T9 as my main mining rig and outfitted the Krait mk.II instead. It can still haul 160t, which is respectable amount (especially considering the price of the stuff I'm hauling out of the rings is usually in hundreds of thousands per unit) and it can jump 40LY fully laden so it's much easier to go around selling stuff. Smaller size is also a plus when scraping the insides of the roids.

But yeah. Know your markets, basically. That's what high value mining is about. :D

Last edited:
I must be doing something right then: my K2 is my miner and it, too, hauls 160 tons.

Something else seemed a bit random. Sometimes, my collector limpets lasted ages while, at other times, they expired in seconds. Haven't got to the bottom of that yet.

ETA

And sometimes, I'd be told I was out of range for my limpets yet they continued anyway. AND! Sometimes I'd launch a prospector only to br told it had failed but it did its job regardless.

Last edited:
I must be doing something right then: my K2 is my miner and it, too, hauls 160 tons.

Something else seemed a bit random. Sometimes, my collector limpets lasted ages while, at other times, they expired in seconds. Haven't got to the bottom of that yet.

ETA

And sometimes, I'd be told I was out of range for my limpets yet they continued anyway. AND! Sometimes I'd launch a prospector only to br told it had failed but it did its job regardless.
Ah, now then.
I think the 'prospector limpet failed' refers to your previous prospector.
ie. you can only have x amount operational.

Maybe.

ETA

Like Speedcufs said, your prospector controler, at least when you have the smallest one, which you probably do, can only control one active limpet. So when you shoot another limpet and the first one is still in range, it will self-destruct. Hence the warning message.

As for the collectors, two things can happen with them.
1) Your limpet ran into something and killed itself. It happens, unfortunately. They're not very good at navigating around the asteroids.
2) (more probably) you have a chunk of ore targeted. The thing with the collectors is - when you don't have anything targeted, they simply run around, collecting everything. But if you target a specific chunk, they will fetch it and then self-destruct.

edit: Goddammit, this is annoying. My keyboard started putting double B everywhere when I press the key. It's not even a year old. :/

Last edited:
Think it was 1) then. I understand the targeted chunk thing. Took a few losses for me to realise something was up and I really should read the frelling manual. I need to investigate as to how many collectors I can have going - currently 2 so I'm wondering if 2 controllers = 4 collectors. Another thing to look into. Honestly, every time I get something sussed, another million questions arise. The joys of an ED pilot.

Keeps me on me toes and understanding the headology of the Creators.

I do have to so say though... this game is like chess; you can undestand the moves and what the aims are, but the true depth of the game is in its subtletty and diversity with unexpected nuances at every turn. Yeah, it's late and I'm getting all philosophical :D

Last edited:
Think it was 1) then. I understand the targeted chunk thing. Took a few losses for me to realise something was up and I really should read the frelling manual. I need to investigate as to how many collectors I can have going - currently 2 so I'm wondering if 2 controllers = 4 collectors. Another thing to look into. Honestly, every time I get something sussed, another million questions arise. The joys of an ED pilot.

Keeps me on me toes and understanding the headology of the Creators.

I do have to so say though... this game is like chess; you can undestand the moves and what the aims are, but the true depth of the game is in its subtletty and diversity with unexpected nuances at every turn. Yeah, it's late and I'm getting all philosophical :D

As has been said the more, and bigger, collector limpet controllers the more you can have out there. My old surface mining Orca had 3 medium mining lasers and 6 active collector limpets going using 3 controllers, I might reengineer the Jackhammer and go double Painite hunting after I get back from the mini explore I am doing for the CG.

That is going well 4 sessions in and I have some first discoveries already, there might have been more but I am only FSSing the last system before I log off for the night.

Top Bottom