Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Does the AFM work in the background or do you have to completely shut down your ship first? Every time I rebooted the same NPC pirates kept attacking me.
AFMUnits just shut down the module they are working on which is why they can't fix the power pack and it is a bad idea to use them on thrusters or FSD while in cruise.
The Reboot/Repair option on the ship tab in the right hand window shuts down everything at once for what seems like an eternity.

AFMUnits just shut down the module they are working on which is why they can't fix the power pack and it is a bad idea to use them on thrusters or FSD while in cruise.
The Reboot/Repair option on the ship tab in the right hand window shuts down everything at once for what seems like an eternity.
But was the AFM working in the background before I took the extreme option? That's what I was wondering.

Thanks, by the way.

Does the AFM work in the background or do you have to completely shut down your ship first? Every time I rebooted the same NPC pirates kept attacking me.
The SRV doesn't have an AFMU. But no, the AFMU has to be manually triggered, and it turns off whatever you're trying to fix while it works on it.

Not sure what it has to do with pirates, though. I guess you were hoping it would repair in the background after an attack? Unfortunately, it will not. You have to stop somewhere and fiddle with it. I've only ever messed with one once, on a long exploration trip. It worked, but I decided I didn't need it much and never took one with me again :)

The SRV doesn't have an AFMU. But no, the AFMU has to be manually triggered, and it turns off whatever you're trying to fix while it works on it.

Not sure what it has to do with pirates, though. I guess you were hoping it would repair in the background after an attack? Unfortunately, it will not. You have to stop somewhere and fiddle with it. I've only ever messed with one once, on a long exploration trip. It worked, but I decided I didn't need it much and never took one with me again :)

I got attacked by three or four pirates during a salvage mission but one of them hung around and kept attacking me as soon as I rebooted the system. It's partly why I don't do salvage missions any more. Not because I have PTSD. I just don't like the little scripted cargo scoopers or weirdo pirate squads.

I can't imagine the AFM is useful with human players either so maybe I should just bin it and save me some power.

I got attacked by three or four pirates during a salvage mission but one of them hung around and kept attacking me as soon as I rebooted the system. It's partly why I don't do salvage missions any more. Not because I have PTSD. I just don't like the little scripted cargo scoopers or weirdo pirate squads.

I can't imagine the AFM is useful with human players either so maybe I should just bin it and save me some power.
Yeah. The AFMU is only useful while exploring outside the inhabited space. Inside the bubble, even in the unlikely scenario where you're left with a vital module destroyed all the way to 0%, you can always just reboot your ship and limp to the nearest station. So AFMU is a waste of space, even if you'd put just a module reinforcement package in there, it's better than AFMU.
I'm not particularly fond of cheating NPCs in missions either (especially instances like when you're escaping them, in a fully engineered ship, you jump to another system 50LY away, and they are waiting for you there, again. Or when you nearly kill them and they escape but the second you enter SC, they're interdicting you again with 100% shields and 100% hull)
But on the other hand, the game does get really easy at the later stages, so these missions tend to be the only thing remotely presenting a challenge and possibly a dangerous situation for you and your ship.

Yeah. The AFMU is only useful while exploring outside the inhabited space. Inside the bubble, even in the unlikely scenario where you're left with a vital module destroyed all the way to 0%, you can always just reboot your ship and limp to the nearest station. So AFMU is a waste of space, even if you'd put just a module reinforcement package in there, it's better than AFMU.
I'm not particularly fond of cheating NPCs in missions either (especially instances like when you're escaping them, in a fully engineered ship, you jump to another system 50LY away, and they are waiting for you there, again. Or when you nearly kill them and they escape but the second you enter SC, they're interdicting you again with 100% shields and 100% hull)
But on the other hand, the game does get really easy at the later stages, so these missions tend to be the only thing remotely presenting a challenge and possibly a dangerous situation for you and your ship.
Thanks. I feel a little more confident about ditching the AFM. I felt like there was no real point to it, for my needs.

I have experienced the same guy chasing me from system to system though. I just laugh it off because NPC's are garbage at interdicting. It's just slightly annoying when they catch you in the middle of making a cup of tea or hanging up washing.

Funny that you say it gets easier though. It felt like a funnish grind at first but now I feel settled in even though my ship is barely engineered.

Seeing as I'm still on furlough, I think I'll spend the rest of the week mulling around in Elite while finally watching the whole Star Trek TOS run on Netflix. I usually like Youtube streams while playing and I hadn't really thought about watching something like Star Trek on my phone (I missed lots of episodes).

With the AFMU, you have to select the damaged module from your right hand screen and then select "repair".

There are caveats: for instance, you can't repair a power plant. Also, if you need to do some work on the motor,i.e. your ship, drop from SC first - I once tried to AFMU my thrusters while doing 100c. The results were unfun.

Edit: oops, ninjad ages ago. Wake up, Tyres!

46sai2.jpg

What am I up to? Well my new squadron are expanding into a new system, so I am learning a lot about how the BGS works (previously my biggest Elite blind spot) and as we're now engaged in a war I have been improving my combat. Have moved 14% up Expert in the past week, and have got to know my Courier (runs out of ammo too quickly for sustained war engagements), my FDL (lots of fun, very potent) and my Corvette (great and very satisfying (although a bit of a magnet for Elite spec ops, and my pilot nabs a lot of my combat xp)). Love all three for different reasons. We muster five Corvettes between us, as well as some smaller ships, so when we're all on we tend to go Corvette as there's an Empire Capital Ship and a lot of high combat zones. If I'm on my own or with just a couple of Commanders then I go Courier or FDL. Combat Elite is still around 1000 years away, but it felt more like 10,000 years a week ago. So there's some movement!

o7

With the AFMU, you have to select the damaged module from your right hand screen and then select "repair".

There are caveats: for instance, you can't repair a power plant. Also, if you need to do some work on the motor,i.e. your ship, drop from SC first - I once tried to AFMU my thrusters while doing 100c. The results were unfun.

Edit: oops, ninjad ages ago. Wake up, Tyres!
I don't think I would've tried to repair my thrusters while in supercruise to be honest, but thanks for being a guinea pig. 😀

I've done it. For a long time I thought the FSD did supercruise. Bizarre to me that one device can move a ship at 100 m/s or 100 c. Rather like thinking you can use a nuke to light a barbeque.
That's not how Alcubiere drive works. :LOL:
The job of the frame shift drive is to compress the spacetime in front of you and stretch the space behind you. Then you can use your thrusters to move at normal speed but because you're moving through "squished" space you appear to move faster. But it's not your ship that is moving through space at superluminal speed, it's your whole frame of reference (hence Frame shift)
That's also the reason why you can't fly backwards or strafe in SC - because FSD only works in one axis.

That's not how Alcubiere drive works. :LOL:
The job of the frame shift drive is to compress the spacetime in front of you and stretch the space behind you. Then you can use your thrusters to move at normal speed but because you're moving through "squished" space you appear to move faster. But it's not your ship that is moving through space at superluminal speed, it's your whole frame of reference (hence Frame shift)
That's also the reason why you can't fly backwards or strafe in SC - because FSD only works in one axis.
So you are using both in supercruise. Ah. There is an explanation.

Top Bottom