Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Go for your challenge, have fun đź‘Ťđź‘Ť. Did you look at https://cmdrs-toolbox.com/fleet-carrier-calculator
It looks to me you can have a year of fun with minimal service cost hassles if you buy in when at >7.5Bcrds
So, my thinking is 8Bcr is the trigger point. As it leaves some reserves for jumping around moving your stuff into the carrier.
You get a full functionality carrier that you can test various services with.
View attachment 182542

Interesting. I have just over 9bn so would I be right in thinking this is viable amount for modestly fitted-out carrier? I haven't really looked into it much to be honest - I'm not even sure what modules I'd need. Restock, repair, refuel... exploration, the ability to mine, obviously.

I need to research more!

Interesting. I have just over 9bn so would I be right in thinking this is viable amount for modestly fitted-out carrier? I haven't really looked into it much to be honest - I'm not even sure what modules I'd need. Restock, repair, refuel... exploration, the ability to mine, obviously.

I need to research more!
Yes, At 7.5Bcr put the annual running cost (1.392Bcr) into the carrier bank. Top it up when you can.
What I see is that all services can be purchased at the start. Just suspend the ones you don't want to deal with till later.
This will mean smaller annual cost so you could run to 2 yrs before service cost run out of funds.

Mr T'oF, as you have a good number of ships already. So some reserves kept for inadvertent collisions with stars and planets and other ships, is wise.

Yes, At 7.5Bcr put the annual running cost (1.392Bcr) into the carrier bank. Top it up when you can.
What I see is that all services can be purchased at the start. Just suspend the ones you don't want to deal with till later.
This will mean smaller annual cost so you could run to 2 yrs before service cost run out of funds.

Mr T'oF, as you have a good number of ships already. So some reserves kept for inadvertent collisions with stars and planets and other ships, is wise.
Good info! Thanks!

Had a good run on missions, 3 at 10m each, 2 at 8m each and just finishing 2 others for 6m each.

I have enough for the carrier.

Just like in the early days, when I had enough for the ship, I got it, even if I had to run it E-rated for a while. I got it. In another 10mins, I will own a carrier. Exciting.
Well done. Hull first knobs and whistles later. :giggle: Feel like a king for a day.(y)

Still annoyed by my camera issue
But started outfitting a Keelback for a try at mining. So far, it's not exciting nor that rewarding.

One thing it's pointed out to me is how.. sorry, but how dumb the game is forcing you to juggle computer assistance in place of modules for actions. The idea that a thousand years into the future you need to allocate an empty bay for assisted landing programs, well, I'd build my own darn ships rather than get ripped off for something so stupid. A space ship that can go 999 times the speed of light, oops, landing or orbital re-entry assitance is extra? Gimme a break.

I know, I know, some people do manual landing easily.. well, but why do I have to?

Pete's sake we have cars now that park themselves. Too tough for our interstellar trans-light death machines!
/rant off

Last edited:
Mamba = fun combat. Only returned to base because I ran out of MC ammo. I could have synth'd it, I know, but my arm is aching now and my joystick is crying out for mercy.

BSlpYdV.jpg

Last edited:

I need to research more!
For exploring alone, as I am doing, you need the Armory, Repair, Refuel and Cartographics modules.

These can be suspended most of the time. I just turn them on to use them, then turn them back off. Upkeep is 8 million a week or less, nothing to worry about at all.

Currently, fuel is the issue, but until FD stops tweaking stuff we don't know exactly how hard (or easy) it's gonna be long term. Mining Tritium to fill your tank is pretty slow. Right now it's abysmally slow. Buying it is possible in the bubble, but nowhere else. That wasn't the case before the last patch, so I hope they put things back as they were a bit.

Even if they don't, though, it'll just be a matter of planning long trips and deciding how far you want to go and how much mining you wish to do during the trip. Even now it's quite possible to mine your way along, it just takes longer than I think it should :) Anything near the bubble will be no problem at all.

I know, I know, some people do manual landing easily.. well, but why do I have to?

Well, it IS a game about flying spaceships. In the end, that's the purpose of everything else, to give you reasons to fly your spaceship :)

But started outfitting a Keelback for a try at mining. So far, it's not exciting nor that rewarding.

One thing it's pointed out to me is how.. sorry, but how dumb the game is forcing you to juggle computer assistance in place of modules for actions. The idea that a thousand years into the future you need to allocate an empty bay for assisted landing programs, well, I'd build my own darn ships rather than get ripped off for something so stupid. A space ship that can go 999 times the speed of light, oops, landing or orbital re-entry assitance is extra? Gimme a break.

Pete's sake we have cars now that park themselves. Too tough for our interstellar trans-light death machines!
/rant off
Not sure what the rant is about.
ADC has issues already, or do you want more?

/rant off
I found planet landings very tricky even after watching a vid explaining the process, but it's really simple and instinctive now and I don't roll my eyes McCoy style every time I open the system window and realise I have to land on a planet to complete a mission. Though I still find orbiters slightly irritating with all their rubix cubeyness. Particularly now that I've recently binned the basic docking computer so I could get an SRV. I mean I was manually landing anyway but I liked the option of just leaving it to the computer when I felt lazy or wanted to kill two birds with one stone while I made a cup of tea etc. I suppose it's all good basic flight training though.

As for the SRV. I finally tried one out and went mining on Duamta 3 A otherwise I'll never have those specific materials needed for engineering. It was kinda fun. Still grindy but at least a new kinda grindy to mix things up a bit. I was thinking about making Duamta my new home base in that area anyway so now I can have a little mine when the mood takes me. I'm actually about to take off from there because I have open missions from yesterday and need to kill a bunch of NPC pirates before I go see Empire Strikes back. B/

Amazing what questions pop into one's head at times...
  • Could a major reserve ring hold more goodies than a pristine one?
  • Could a high res give rise to more baddies than a hazres?
  • How many systems are there in the bubble?
  • Doner kebabs clearly bad for you so why do you crave one every now and then? (Well, I do!)
  • Do planets with geo sites also have random outcrops away from the sites?
Perhaps it's time for bed...

Amazing what questions pop into one's head at times...
  • Doner kebabs clearly bad for you so why do you crave one every now and then? (Well, I do!)
  • Do planets with geo sites also have random outcrops away from the sites?
Perhaps it's time for bed...

Well I can sort of answer those :)

Planets with geo sites have the usual collection of outcrops and meteorites scattered over them away from the geo sites.

Jack Dee once said that you can only ever fancy a Doner when drunk. He suggested that the police could do away with breathalysers and blood tests, and just approach a driver they suspect of being under the influence, and saying “Excuse me sir, but do you fancy a doner kebab?”. Answering “yes” would elicit the repy of “You’re nicked sunshine” :)

Top Bottom