Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Well done Cmdr!
I saw the thread he started last night. How did he manage to get that far from his homebase? There must be Penal Colonies closer to home.

Well done!
Thank you both. I think he was hours into the game, he spent 2 of those trying to escape this one system. No upgrade to his FSD. He's gone for as mooch in a High Rez. Shot the wrong ship. I really wanted to be able to give hime something, you know? Free gold, new module, some cash. He had no cargo bays fitted and that was that. So easily done. A great reminder of how 'dangerous' this game is when you have next to nothing.

Thank you both. I think he was hours into the game, he spent 2 of those trying to escape this one system. No upgrade to his FSD. He's gone for as mooch in a High Rez. Shot the wrong ship. I really wanted to be able to give hime something, you know? Free gold, new module, some cash. He had no cargo bays fitted and that was that. So easily done. A great reminder of how 'dangerous' this game is when you have next to nothing.
Doh! Just realised you were 501Ly away from him, not him 501Ly from his homebase.
Nonetheless, well done again. It's one of the things that make this game great, the community spirit.

Doh! Just realised you were 501Ly away from him, not him 501Ly from his homebase.
Nonetheless, well done again. It's one of the things that make this game great, the community spirit.
Yes, that would have been savage. Banished 501ly away for a 200cr bounty :)

It is the first time in 4 years of play I’ve been able to assist another player, in game. That I’m locked in SOLO (console player who wont pay the subscription) this was only possible thanks to Carriers. I would love to do more of this stuff.

Yes, that would have been savage. Banished 501ly away for a 200cr bounty :)

It is the first time in 4 years of play I’ve been able to assist another player, in game. That I’m locked in SOLO (console player who wont pay the subscription) this was only possible thanks to Carriers. I would love to do more of this stuff.
Two of our kids game online, so I have been able to bill Xbox Live to household expenses as it's for the kids!!

Finally, touchdown at the Sacaqawea Space Port in the Skaudai CH-B d14-34 system.
TouchDown_Sacaqawea.jpg

I think that's the longest journey I've done between stations (~5kLy). Lots of first discoveries for me though!
Strangely, in all that distance I didn't come across one BH, NS or WD!
But I did come across this lovely Ringed Water World.
Ringed WW.jpg

Tomorrow I shall be checking out the Guardian sites and doing the other touristy stuff, but I think the bars open now and I need to wash that space dust taste away.
o7 Cmdrs

My poor carrier hasn't seen me for a couple of weeks. It's all because of Dyson Sphere Program. It's a very engrossing game :)

This is my current planet base -- so many drones in the sky now, and it's only just starting really :)

Not to worry, though, I'm starting to missing Elite, as always. Soon... :)

This is one thing that kinda breaks Elite's immersion for me. In a space faring civilisation, those systems/planets with populations in the billions, should really have huge structures and immense traffic around the main planet (e.g. Sol). Not 2 stations and 11 ships.

I am summoned. 😅

I'm not entirely certain what affects ringed-ness. Rings seem to form under three conditions: first, if a moon is calculated to be created within the Roche limit of a parent body, it becomes a ring instead. Second, if some horrible disaster (like a rogue planet smashing into a moon) is calculated to have happened in the system's prehistory, a ring will form from the debris (I believe this is what's happened in situations where we find large thin rings forming outside of the orbits of the innermost moons). Third, in a system which is calculated to have lots of dust and debris, the planets sweep up some of that debris and form rings.

I have put that third rule in place simply because rings aren't very probable, but far too often, you can enter a system and find virtually every world, big and small, has a set of rings around it. As a general rule, younger systems would be more likely to have lots of dust and debris, so are more likely to have rings; this bears out my qualitative observation that these full'o'rings sytsems tend to be around large, young stars. Young, but not too young; I've noticed many protostars don't tend to form rings around their planets; this may have something to do with protostar planets not tending to have many moons, and thus fewer rings forming under rule 1.

Note that if this theory is true, there are some competing algorithms. For example, "collisions" are more likely to have happened in older systems, since they've had a longer history and thus more chance of such events happening; this would counter the "younger is better" hypothesis of rule 3.

TLDR: it's not really random, but the rulebook is arcane and self-contradictory, so the results are effectively random.

Is it astronomically impossible for a star to have rings? Can some moon smash into a planet and the resulting debris all fall around the sun?

This is one thing that kinda breaks Elite's immersion for me. In a space faring civilisation, those systems/planets with populations in the billions, should really have huge structures and immense traffic around the main planet (e.g. Sol). Not 2 stations and 11 ships.

Is it astronomically impossible for a star to have rings? Can some moon smash into a planet and the resulting debris all fall around the sun?

In ED, there is a ringed star phenomena. To quote from the WIKI:

Ringed Stars

On rare occasions, stellar objects can host ring systems. This is much more common for Class T and Y brown dwarfs orbiting class B or O stars. Occasionally, Class L brown dwarfs will also host ring systems under similar circumstances. It is very rare for main-sequence stars to host ring systems, and this generally only occurs for Class M red dwarfs. White dwarfs and neutron stars may also have rings, with a similar level of rarity as M classes having rings.

I'm not sure there are such things in reality. I suppose there are... space is almost infinite.

Last edited:
....space is almost infinite.
Almost? I think it's bigger than that!

The system I'm in at the moment has two ringed stars. Either L, Y or T types. I have come across quite a few.
Interesting that ED have said there are M Dwarves with rings, I wonder if anyone has come across one yet?

I think rings around stars such as our Sun would be very low probabilistically.
Firstly, the object that was tidally shredded would have to be humongously GINORMOUS to create a ring (the Sun is over 4.3 million miles in circumference).
Secondly, the debris field would need to travelling extremely fast to stop it falling in (~620 miles per second).

Having said that, I suppose we could class the Asteroid Belt or even the Kuiper Belt as ring systems.

For bigger than infinity...

We're into the realm of theoretical theories and possibly philosophy and religion on the way :D

I mean, is infinity possible? No end? No beginning? Same for time... what was there before the Big Bang? I can't get my head around absolutely nothing and then SOMETHING coming out of that nothing.

My head hurts...

We're into the realm of theoretical theories and possibly philosophy and religion on the way :D

I mean, is infinity possible? No end? No beginning? Same for time... what was there before the Big Bang? I can't get my head around absolutely nothing and then SOMETHING coming out of that nothing.

My head hurts...
The time inside a system needs to have a beginning - otherwise one couldn't reach the present in an infinite amount of steps, because there would already be an infinite amount of steps before the present. So time has to have a beginning. And that would be valid as well for any time in the past - with no beginning there would be no progression of time.

My head hurts...
It is a mind-bender, isn't it?
I've always thought that Gravity and [what we experience as] Time existed before the Big Bang. That's if the Big Bang happened.

My head hurts...
What blew my mind was the idea of thousands or millions of big bangs happening before the one that happened that successfully stayed and ultimately created us.

My head hurts...
Maybe it'll help, maybe your head will implode...

What you are trying is to apply everday language concepts to mathematical descriptions. That kind of works more or less up to a certain point - upon which the whole construct will blow up in your face. If you look at the mathematical description, the Big Bang is a singularity in all 4 dimensions - yes, that includes what we currently describe as "time". So, in the mathematical description, the notion of "before the Big Bang" simply doesn't make sense. You can't even ask it while using this specific model - and asking it using any other model, you'll also need to use that other model to describe the outcome, which won't include a Big Bang.

If you want a few further walls to bang your head against, maybe start with the Distant Radio podcasts featuring Dr. Sarah Bosman. An interesting book about the concept of mathematical theories and provability is Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter. If I'm listing books, I'm probably not allowed to miss out Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. If you can still breathe after that, pit your mind against Julian Barbour's The End Of Time.

In my mind one has to differentiate between time as experienced inside a system and time which might be outside that system.

A general idea I had was using the axiom "there has been change" and nothing else. So if we presume nothingness as a starting point, there has always to appear something when using this axiom. In step 1 there is no time and no causality - so the question "why" is invalid. What is that something?- Well, it has to be something what relates to each other - so mathematical relations, instantly valid, because there is no time inside the system yet. So what would be the next step, given that it isn't falling back into nothingness.Well all the relations are timeless - so step 2 should bring timely relations aka functions. if we have a lot of functions, there will be some iterative functions as well in some of the next steps - and with those deterministic chaos comes into the system ... and so on and so on.

Last edited:
Maybe it'll help, maybe your head will implode...

What you are trying is to apply everday language concepts to mathematical descriptions. That kind of works more or less up to a certain point - upon which the whole construct will blow up in your face. If you look at the mathematical description, the Big Bang is a singularity in all 4 dimensions - yes, that includes what we currently describe as "time". So, in the mathematical description, the notion of "before the Big Bang" simply doesn't make sense. You can't even ask it while using this specific model - and asking it using any other model, you'll also need to use that other model to describe the outcome, which won't include a Big Bang.

If you want a few further walls to bang your head against, maybe start with the Distant Radio podcasts featuring Dr. Sarah Bosman. An interesting book about the concept of mathematical theories and provability is Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter. If I'm listing books, I'm probably not allowed to miss out Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. If you can still breathe after that, pit your mind against Julian Barbour's The End Of Time.
Nooooooo! Make it stop! Mummy!

In my mind one has to differentiate between time as experienced inside a system and time which might be outside that system.

A general idea I had was using the axiom "there has been change" and nothing else. So if we presume nothingness as a starting point, there has always to appear something when using this axiom. In step 1 there is no time and no causality - so the question "why" is invalid. What is that something?- Well, it has to be something what relates to each other - so mathematical relations, instantly valid, because there is no time inside the system yet. So what would be the next step, given that it isn't falling back into nothingness.Well all the relations are timeless - so step 2 should bring timely relations aka functions. if we have a lot of functions, there will be some iterative functions as well in some of the next steps - and with those deterministic chaos comes into the system ... and so on and so on.
Thank you. My brain has now shut down. I hope you're proud of yourself.

:D

Top Bottom