Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

went to sag a* in sort of a zig zag, visiting nebulae here and there and jumping up and down the orbital plane.

one thing i wanted to see is how the stellar material disc is depicted from different angles. it is amazing, very well done but still just a sophisticated backdrop.

the views are breathtaking, though. the core is an incredible place, but i didn't expect the "star cube" effect was so prevalent and ... well, horrible.

took very little pics since i play in vr exclusively.

unloaded data at explorer's anchorage, got paid nearly half a billion and i'm now in the triple elite club. :eek: who would have thunk!

shot up high over the orbital plane to enjoy the views and calmly plan my trip back to civilization. exploring is really great, but i'm fed up with the fss and decided to stop using it from now on unless i stumble over a potential undiscovered earthlike.

Spent more time in Odyssey rather than Horizons today. Unidentified markers are quite fun - one gave me credits, the other a bounty.

Got a bit frustrated with the diminutive 50 Kylie bubble though!

I'll never get elite combat at this rate.

Well that is three days of mining missions and many millions in donation missions but still I see virtually no difference acting against the Russian interlopers in the Terry Pratchett memorial system in HIP 74290 (Pratchett's Disc). I'm fed up seeing their political protest "Concern Matrosskaya Tishina" all over the place, I wish F D would do something about them (Matrosskaya Tishina is the notorious prison in Moscow where Navalny was). I think one person is not able to make a difference where the PMF has a FC in orbit, I need to learn more about BGS.

pratchett 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well that is three days of mining missions and many millions in donation missions but still I see virtually no difference acting against the Russian interlopers in the Terry Pratchett memorial system in HIP 74290 (Pratchett's Disc). I'm fed up seeing their political protest "Concern Matrosskaya Tishina" all over the place, I wish F D would do something about them (Matrosskaya Tishina is the notorious prison in Moscow where Navalny was). I think one person is not able to make a difference where the PMF has a FC in orbit, I need to learn more about BGS.

View attachment 224930

You go figure it out and I might join you.

Question time. I have been wanting an FC. But only because I want to go to places like Rackham's Peak at my own leisure and not stick to someone else's bus schedule.

I understand that when you pot an FC jump, it needs to end up orbiting something in the system. And there is a limit to 16? per orbit?

So if I am jumping to say Rackham's Peak and the damn parking lots are all full, it wont let me jump in?

Correct. The limit is per body. Note that, if the system is virgin or you've never been there and can't see any planets, it will be the entry star.

If the system has a max FC infestation, it will say "no free slots" and you'll need to find a nearby system. It will also say no free slots if a body is fully infested.

Note, also, you cannot jump your carrier to a permit locked system even if you have the permit.

Of course, before carriers, people still travelled vast distances at a leisurely pace.

I wouldnt mind, if places like Rackham's peak was accessible in my 'conda or DBX. I am not really interested in the other features of the FC but I want the range.
I'm completely unfamiliar with that area. How far is the jump? Can you engineer/equip your ship for greater range? There's also jumponium and overcharging the FSD but I haven't tried those things either :D

Went into the Alpha briefly to test something out. There was a problem with the Apex taxi service. If you took a taxi to a station where you had ships stored, but not your current ship, it used to be impossible to switch to one of the stored ships. This was supposedly fixed, so I went to test it out.

They did fix it, mostly. As long as your current ship, wherever it is, does NOT have cargo in it, then you can switch to a local ship.

After verifying that I could not access my local ship, because my current (and remote) ship had cargo in it, I transferred my current ship to the local station.

When my ship arrived, I expected it to still have cargo in it, of course. Well, it didn't. All the cargo was deleted! Good thing it was just cheap goods I was testing with.

Anyway, here's a shot of my DBX, just because.

Screenshot_1195.jpg

Went into the Alpha briefly to test something out. There was a problem with the Apex taxi service. If you took a taxi to a station where you had ships stored, but not your current ship, it used to be impossible to switch to one of the stored ships. This was supposedly fixed, so I went to test it out.

They did fix it, mostly. As long as your current ship, wherever it is, does NOT have cargo in it, then you can switch to a local ship.

After verifying that I could not access my local ship, because my current (and remote) ship had cargo in it, I transferred my current ship to the local station.

When my ship arrived, I expected it to still have cargo in it, of course. Well, it didn't. All the cargo was deleted! Good thing it was just cheap goods I was testing with.

Anyway, here's a shot of my DBX, just because.

View attachment 225069
Boo for bugs. (I really don't believe the launch will be smooth this time)
But also yay for the new ship models/textures. All the ships I've seen from Alpha look spectacular.

Boo for bugs. (I really don't believe the launch will be smooth this time)
But also yay for the new ship models/textures. All the ships I've seen from Alpha look spectacular.
I tend to agree. There are a lot of things to be ironed out before go-live so I hope their team consists of more than just a couple of people. Carriers are not even in the alpha so there will be issues there: "I have foreseen it".

And yes, having said that, on the whole, I'm quite impressed so far. Although I would like to see a greater diversity of minor wreckages, irregular markers and flora.

Last edited:
Top Bottom