Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Grinding missions still.

Looks lihe habitat dorms are coming up blanks for DDs - the downloadables I have found are pretty mundane. Looks like I'll have to wait for them to appear as mission rewards and these are very few and far between.

On the flip side, I'm getting better at cloning :D

EDIT AHA! It seems I need CBN's not DRM's! Found a DD! I had to chase some tech around before I could clone him and then I was pounced on upon leaving the CBN. Eluded being shot at and got back to the shuttle OK.

One step closer!

Last edited:
Raw materials from missions? Interesting! Not sure I've seen that before...
Right now I'm at Robigo. It's something like every other passenger mission has a large optional mat reward? It's generally something like 3-5 Biotech Conductors or Exquisite Focus Crystals (both are manufactured iirc), which is quite nice. And then you can go trade your haul of G5 mats at a trader for the ones you actually need.

Right now I'm at Robigo. It's something like every other passenger mission has a large optional mat reward? It's generally something like 3-5 Biotech Conductors or Exquisite Focus Crystals (both are manufactured iirc), which is quite nice. And then you can go trade your haul of G5 mats at a trader for the ones you actually need.
Yes you get a lot of those Biotech Conductors, Crystals and some Firmware/Software and iirc Wake Data also from high end mission rewards. But I have never seen the military composites, heat radiators and chemical/pharma isolator materials show up as rewards.

My carrier lit up like a Christmas tree today. I think it was just a lighting glitch, but it looked kinda festive :)

glowy carrier.jpg

When you die on foot and on a mission, you fail the mission. But about stuff you've pilfered, say, materials, downloads etc? Are they still there? I'm assuming so.

Yesterday was great. I'm working on my new Vulture (the grind IS the game), and got most modules engineered up to g3-g5. Then on my way home, I decided to go and check the current state of the ship at a CNB. Very nize. I managed to kill a Viper with "one shot", meaning that from the time I squeezed the trigger until he exploded, I just kept the trigger squeezed (Weapon focus PD and Low emissions PP). I can fire (edit: Beams) forever, and heat doesn't go above 61. In a Vulture!

The last outlaws I fought were Kraits, Pythons and a T-10. None of them hard to kill, except that the T-10 hull was kind stubborn, so I ended up with ~50% hull and no shield - Just to be ganked by two Cobras arriving at Shinrarta. BOOM! and I was atomized. Thrillingly fun. I went back to Jameson to fetch "Little Walter", and then to the star, but even relogging a couple of times, the "Wherewolfs" were gone. Well, I wrote down ones name. Nice to have a goal in life again. :alien:

Last edited:
Well, that was a bit silly of me...

I've been so long doing intra-system missions or flying around in my FC or Phantom, I'd forgotten I had no fuel scoop on my Chieftain. Limped into a station on fumes.

That'll learn me.

So easy to take things for granted!
Good thing is that you can get pretty far on fumes, if you only make small jumps. I now always use the absolute smallest fuel tank I can fit, with enough fuel for at least one full length jump, and then some bit left. On the Vulture mentioned above, I have 1.5 jump in the tank. If I end up at a nonscoopable star, I have yet to experience not having a scoopable star within range, if I made small jumps like 10-30% of my jump range (depending on the severity of my mess-ups). EDIT: Remember that ten tiny jumps by nonscoopable "scary" stars will take you far, on very little fuel.

I even do it on my exploration ships. The max jump range on those is so large that I only ever reach "problems" at the edges (wide and low) of the galaxy. I went to Sag A* in a Mamba with a tiny fuel tank. What´s the name of that new outpost at the roof of the galaxy called? It might be a challenge to go their bar with a minimal fuel tank :alien:

The other option is to drop the scoop completely, and just fill the ship with fuel tanks. If you jump full range you'll quickly run dry, but if you reduce the jump range you could probably ride intergalactic to Andromeda without a scoop.

The other option is to drop the scoop completely, and just fill the ship with fuel tanks. If you jump full range you'll quickly run dry, but if you reduce the jump range you could probably ride intergalactic to Andromeda without a scoop.
Someone Allitnil already took up that challenge. Bubble to Colonia without a scoop.

I finally found a Spectral Analysis Data. I need 10. I have 7 that I picked up along the way. EDEngineer remembers where I got them (unless it's a mission), but I knew it had to be a long time ago, probably back when Restore missions were more plentiful and I was looting bases like crazy.

Anyway, I tried finding some in RES or CMD data ports, and was having no luck at all the last couple weeks. So I decided to try one of the bases that EDEngineer said I got 2 from. There were no missions to go there, so I just went there on my own.

It turned out to be a small biological outpost in an Anarchy system, owned by an Anarchy faction, which is perfecto. No bounties, and no notoriety, yay.

I have the skill and tools now to just raid the base, and after a couple runs I figured out a clean way to get level 3 clearance, turn off the alarms, and hit the 3 data ports.

I wasn't sure it would still give me the Spectral Analysis Data thingy, but I was hopeful.

I hit the base 11 times (each run takes me a half-hour, total, including flying off to reset and etc.). I finally got one today. That's like 5 hours of unsuccessful looking. The only reason I didn't move on was because I had no other leads at all.

I think this is my biggest gripe with the design of Odyssey -- there is zero indication that you are looking in the right spot. You can look at that same spot over and over and not find what you want, and then suddenly it's there. Then next time, it's not there.

Now that I know for sure I can get them there, I'm going to keep hitting that same outpost until I have all I need. But it's frustrating as heck when you're not sure, and you're looking and looking and not finding.

Based on my success rate thus far, it's going to take me another 10-15 hours of just hitting that base. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be less. But that is seriously too long for a few data items, I think. And I've never seen one as a mission reward.

That's my rant of the day ;)

What´s the name of that new outpost at the roof of the galaxy called? It might be a challenge to go their bar with a minimal fuel tank :alien:
Based on my success rate thus far, it's going to take me another 10-15 hours of just hitting that base. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be less. But that is seriously too long for a few data items, I think. And I've never seen one as a mission reward.

That's my rant of the day ;)

Rackham's Peak. I was all hyped up to go on my JumpaConda with its near 70Ly range and scoop but found out that it doesnt matter if you have a 128ton tank or 4tons. The systems leading to it are ~400 to 500 LY apart for the last few jumps. You need a FC. That was one of the things that incentivised me to buy the FC.

I dont think I found more than 1 or 2 Spectral Analysis Data ever. But they turn up as mission rewards quite often for me.

Top Bottom