Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Sold my genomics data for ~2 mil, then immediately spent 3.5 mil at the suit guy because there was some kind of tier 3 rifle on the shelf. Never gonna fire it, but at least I know it's a fancy one.

On impulse, picked up a delivery mission, just a chance to step out of the ship again. Which was an error. "No pad large enough." I'm only in a python! Local orbital doesn't even have a shipyard. You know what? Abandoned. Abandoned because the game could at least do me the favour of putting up a big red warning when taking a mission that your current ship can't complete.

I imagine the information was on the screen somewhere - it needed properly highlighting, even to the point of a confirm dialog. Don't mess players around by not identifying easily detectible problem conditions.

Edit: could I have just landed rough nearby and SRV'd my way in?

Last edited:
goto system map and it will tell you.selected the place

Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2022.01.13 - 22.22.14.10.png

Sold my genomics data for ~2 mil, then immediately spent 3.5 mil at the suit guy because there was some kind of tier 3 rifle on the shelf. Never gonna fire it, but at least I know it's a fancy one.

On impulse, picked up a delivery mission, just a chance to step out of the ship again. Which was an error. "No pad large enough." I'm only in a python! Local orbital doesn't even have a shipyard. You know what? Abandoned. Abandoned because the game could at least do me the favour of putting up a big red warning when taking a mission that your current ship can't complete.

I imagine the information was on the screen somewhere - it needed properly highlighting, even to the point of a confirm dialog. Don't mess players around by not identifying easily detectible problem conditions.

Edit: could I have just landed rough nearby and SRV'd my way in?
The information about the destination station are also available here INARA or here eddb.io if not on screen, the same happened to me the first mission I took for the Fuel Rats in Rodentia with a Type 7, only I couldn't transfer the cargo back and I had a fine on top.

Now I check the docking pads before loading...

The information about the destination station are also available here INARA or here eddb.io if not on screen, the same happened to me the first mission I took for the Fuel Rats in Rodentia with a Type 7, only I couldn't transfer the cargo back and I had a fine on top.

Now I check the docking pads before loading...
Strange, in Horizons it tells you when your ship is too large and won't let you accept a mission if it is.

Edit: that hasn't stopped me accepting a mission in the Python and then swapping to the Conda, for some reason, and then being surprised when I arrive at the station.

Last edited:
Strange, in Horizons it tells you when your ship is too large and won't let you accept a mission if it is.

Edit: that hasn't stopped me accepting a mission in the Python and then swapping to the Conda, for some reason, and then being surprised when I arrive at the station.
It didn't, and that was the reason why I sold my Type 7 and get another Python, I have to say that I liked my Type 7 but being limited to large docking pad is a handicap.

Hmm, should I buy another conda just for ferrying mods for engineering? The jump range for a D rated conda seems very nice. Flying those combat focused ships back and forth between those enigneers is pain in the butt 🤦‍♀️ except my pewpew conda (~33LY jump range it has). So if I unlock guardian fsd booster, it should be even better.

With this, I will have a full range of ships (S,M,L) have 50+LY jump range.

Hmm, should I buy another conda just for ferrying mods for engineering? The jump range for a D rated conda seems very nice. Flying those combat focused ships back and forth between those enigneers is pain in the butt 🤦‍♀️ except my pewpew conda (~33LY jump range it has). So if I unlock guardian fsd booster, it should be even better.

With this, I will have a full range of ships (S,M,L) have 50+LY jump range.
One thing you can do whenever possible for things like weapons is to fit them on another ship to go to the engineer or fit your ship for the range needed...

I had to do this for my Corvette but now it doesn't even have a fuel scoop and is 100% fitted as a short-range combat ship, which isn't an issue for bounty hunting or even assassination missions, instead I have a hell of a shield and firepower...

So, I've been using a very cool little tool called Elite Observatory. It's a lightweight program that runs in the background while you're playing, and watches the journal files as you scan, looking for anything "interesting or unusual."

It pops up a message when it spots stuff like wide rings, shepherd moons...a whole list of such stuff that I would very possibly not notice.

Yesterday it popped up a message about a gas giant with a wide ring, and 3 shepherd moons (these are moons that orbit between or inside the ring(s)). So I went over to take a look at it.

There were 2 rings, one small and close to the planet, and one huge and quite a distance from the planet. And as expected there were 3 moons orbiting between the 2 rings. I landed on the 2 that were landable, to see if I could get a good view of the rings, but they were not visible from the surface.

However, there was a 4th moon orbiting just outside the wide ring, and it had biologicals on it, so I went there as well. From there I was able to get this very cool pic of the gas giant overhead, with it's huge rings. It's quite a sight to see! You can even pick out the 3 shepherd moons (just dots from here).

View attachment 285940

While I'm speaking about tools, there are some plugins for Elite Observatory written by another CMDR (MattG) which I find useful. In particular the Bioinsights one keeps track while you're doing exobiology stuff, and lets you know when you've travelled far enough to do the next sample. It also keeps a running account of what you're scanning, what bios are likely to be present, how much they are worth, and stuff like that. Very nice.

Lastly, there's a little program called SRV Tracker. With this you can save surface locations, and use the tracker to go back to them easily. It's designed for racers to use, but it's very useful for exobiology as well. For example, if I'm out searching for samples of, say, a Fonticula, and I run across a Bacteria, I can't scan the Bacteria because my sample cannister is in use. But with SRV tracker I can mark the spot and come back to it once I've complete my Fonticula scans. It makes life a bit easier :)

Fun times :)
I'm going to take a look at the Observatory thing as I need a break from not finding opinion polls. The download is on a github page and that always confuses me - do I need both the exe and the "core" zip?

Top Bottom