What Constitutes as Cheating

Bye now we all know every pvper is a cheater and FDevs doesn't care ~Joke

But really , I use button mapping software in Elite(and other games) , so i can use all 20 Buttons on my glorious RGB gaming mouse that ED wont naturally let me use, am i an unwitting hacker? and if not now, will i be?
Based on the forums, anything that a vocal minority of hardcore PvPers doesn’t like is considered cheating. Even if they use it themselves (like the old Engineering exploit).

IMHO, cheating is manipulation of code, or network traffic. So, trainers and combat logging, or traffic shaping.

That's just the hacking subset of cheating.

Cheating is violating the rules to provide advantage.

So... when I used the button-mapping feature of my keyboard to automatically sell 250t of biowaste 1t at a time with a single keypress, when testing to see if this was actually a broken aspect of the BGS or not (which it was; target faction lost 30% influence overnight)... that was legit right? :D

Corollary: Context and intent matters a lot, not just the capability involved.

I'd definitely consider that cheating, and it's likely that Frontier would as well.

Sensitivity slopes, pip macros, or using something like voice attack to implement simple commands are one thing.

Automating complex or extended interactions is quite another.

In your opinion....

In Frontier's opinion as well, if it's used to any in-game advantage.

I believe Frontier always called it an exploit. So the ultimate (but pointless) question is if you consider cheating and exploiting to be the same thing.

Anything that gives an unfair and unintended advantage is a cheat, by definition. Exploits, in this sense, would certainly qualify.

I would not see mapping an in game control to a device as cheating. You are not changing the game in some way that was not intended.

Changing the game in an unintended way is cheating. Scripting to change statistics is cheating. Using an exploit to circumvent the normal game functions (like the 5/1 engineering exploit) is cheating.

it is an interesting one this... my 1st reaction is, of course its NOT cheating!!! but then OTOH I have seen players in competitive FPSers call for other players to be banned for using macros for super fast firing in weapons which were balanced by the fact of how fast the player could physically shoot whilst aiming at the same time and in that instance i would say that IS cheating, .... but technically it is the same thing i think.

I am not a competitive player so am probably not a good yardstick for what is cheating but in elite, i would say it is not cheating in elite to use macros to do <most> things which the game does not support that is done in the interests of immersion and NOT for gaining an advantage, but i respect that it is a grey area and would not argue with those who feel different. I am biased here of course because it just so happens i use voice attack for that very reason... not to be "better" but just because it is cool to order the ship into hyperspace, and to request docking and to target next enemy or to select next route etc etc.

I would consider botting to be cheating, but, botting does not alter the code in anyway. also apps which autofire hit scan weapons when they enter your cross hair <as i understand it, i am no pro here> does not alter the games code but i would consider that cheapting too.

Last edited:
If I bash the powerplant of a conda to bellow 0% and it still flies, boosts and fires back at me, then the NPC is cheating.
When an NPC drops from hyperspace and immediately tries to interdict me, then he is cheating.
When I boost, FA-OFF and turn 180º and boost again, I'm cheating, cause no pilot could survive that G shock in a ship that reaches max speed >500m/s. (around 37 gs)
When you use synthesis to create more stuff, you're cheating, because materials occupy no space in-game, and so allow you to have more ammo/heatsinks/chaffs etc.. by science-magic.

Inara. That's it.
Cheater!

And how Inara gets its data? By us, PC players, that use a 3rd party addon...

Not something that effects gameplay. Merely allows a site to pull infomation off off your PC, it has ZERO effect on your gameplay other than giving you a location to look stuff up should it be needed.

By all rights, something that effects gameplay that is a TP addon is indeed, in reality cheating.

If I bash the powerplant of a conda to bellow 0% and it still flies, boosts and fires back at me, then the NPC is cheating.
When an NPC drops from hyperspace and immediately tries to interdict me, then he is cheating.
When I boost, FA-OFF and turn 180º and boost again, I'm cheating, cause no pilot could survive that G shock in a ship that reaches max speed >500m/s. (around 37 gs)
When you use synthesis to create more stuff, you're cheating, because materials occupy no space in-game, and so allow you to have more ammo/heatsinks/chaffs etc.. by science-magic.
Even today's everyday people can withstand horizontal g-force of 20g for less than 10s and peak g-force of 214g. I imagine that our remlok suits and genetic modifications can help us withstand g-force without problems in the 34th century.

Not something that effects gameplay. Merely allows a site to pull infomation off off your PC, it has ZERO effect on your gameplay other than giving you a location to look stuff up should it be needed.

By all rights, something that effects gameplay that is a TP addon is indeed, in reality cheating.
Of course it affects gameplay on almost all levels. People using external websites have the upper hand.

Attack Chimp walks up hill both ways in the snow to anywhere he is trying to get to. Grows his own food in the backyard with nothing but a pointy stick to plow with relying on the wind to plant seed and rain to water.

Also, turning on the game is cheating. You have an advantage over those who don't turn on the game.

Top Bottom