What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

I did some work on a vivarium in a sort of mission revival style. It has two restrooms as well as room for eight exhibits, some education panels, and a silly fountain in the middle.

I've created a number of buildings in this style with this zoo, even though it is a taiga biome and not southwestern desert or grassland style. It's been fun playing around with something kind of new and repurposing pieces from other theme kits. I did a visitor center for the front of the zoo as well, which has an information center, restrooms, concessions, education panels and so on.View attachment 225220

View attachment 225217View attachment 225219
Looks really great. For some Reason I'm bad at building in this Style. Maybe it's just not suitable for small Buildings, so I shouldn't use it for a single Shop🤔

Looks really great. For some Reason I'm bad at building in this Style. Maybe it's just not suitable for small Buildings, so I shouldn't use it for a single Shop🤔
Thanks, and I agree that it's hard to do decent shops with it. My attempts to make small shops and staff buildings in that theme have been rather plain and "meh." There aren't really any trims that are great, unless you're going for an exaggeratedly India theme. I tried making one where I used the iron classic window box as a canopy, and I put one of the small wall fountains on the back, but I can't figure out how to do the water animation for small fountains and fountain components without the water shooting through the bottom or the splash effect radiating away from the fountain, even with the small effects.

I've struggled with getting the water animations right in general and with getting fountains that look like they have water in them when they don't come that way. I don't know how some folks make their fountains and waterfalls look so nice and with the water animations not "escaping."

I remember trips to mission San Juan Capistrano, and other missions, as a kid, and I'd like to be able to emulate some of the fountains and courtyards, like this one, for when I build a southwest desert type zoo, but I'm not sure how to blend the bricks with the plaster. It would be cool to try making a mosaic fountain too, But I am not confident in my ability to handle those diddly little periods from the font set to make a nice, neat pattern that doesn't look like something a thumbless child might create.

I wish there were some building sets or overlays with intricate mosaic patterns on them. They could be useful for all kinds of styles from North Africa, Ancient Egyptian, Classical, Middle East, Indian, Southwest, Mediterranean etc.

Last edited:
Still in the tropical part of the African area, I added the bongos, but I moved with them some of the pigmy hippos. The rest remain in the former habitat next to the common hippo, but I plan to transform that into an African penguin if we get those soon and move all pigmy hippos here.

20210503180133_1.jpg

20210430233719_1.jpg

20210503180017_1.jpg

This was last night, but I began a new way of playing sandbox - setting up a zoo with unlimited cash and money turned out - I set up some "higher than normal franchise amounts but not a crazy amount" of cash - $100,000 -and a 10,000 CC - a decent amount but still something I have to work with. I deleted the entrance to do my own entrance and realized I got back over $500,000 in cash, I had no idea those entrances had that many spawners. Well, I went with it and spent 3 hours working on just an entrance area with guest facilities. Pictures later I hope! Now I don't know what to work on this week, continue with that or a franchise zoo! Or go back to one of my other sandbox zoos, either one I started from scratch in SB or one I transferred over from Franchise!

Gave my entrance a bit of a personal touch. Before and after pics.

BEFORE:
View attachment 225427

AFTER:
View attachment 225428
Looks really great. I feel really immersed in the Desert Environment just by looking at this new Entrance. I hope I'll be able to create the same Feeling with my Desert Zoo when I continue it (even though it could be a bit difficult now that we can't delete the original Entrance anymore)

Added a few more hyena births to my total before the challenge ended, and then did some long overdue management in the form of renaming animals consistently across my zoos. I've got a bad habit of using shortcuts for names when I'm working on breeding (and avoiding inbreeding), but then I don't always have time to rename them at the end so that they're consistent across my zoos, which really slows me down when I come back to that species and can't figure out what I did!

Then I started a new franchise zoo, called "Don't Monkey Around", where I will, of course, be monkeying around. It will be an all-primate zoo. The entrance and shopping plaza doubles as an open air walk-through habitat for capuchin monkeys. Kind of similar to how some zoos allow peafowl to roam free. The entire entrance is surrounded by a river/lake/moat which provides the natural barrier between the capuchin "free roaming enclosure" and several other primate islands, so that guests are actually watch the orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees from inside the capuchin enclosure. Then I'll do bridges to go further into the park.

If I can get enough of them, I may try to replicate the capuchin habitat each time I need to put up shops, so that the illusion will be that they have free roam of the entire zoo, and not just the entrance. Also have an idea for a spot where guests can look down on one of the food courts, as if they're viewing an enclosure for the most dangerous primates, Homo sapiens. I'll definitely need to use either the concrete or the electric fence for that one!

Added a few more hyena births to my total before the challenge ended, and then did some long overdue management in the form of renaming animals consistently across my zoos. I've got a bad habit of using shortcuts for names when I'm working on breeding (and avoiding inbreeding), but then I don't always have time to rename them at the end so that they're consistent across my zoos, which really slows me down when I come back to that species and can't figure out what I did!

Then I started a new franchise zoo, called "Don't Monkey Around", where I will, of course, be monkeying around. It will be an all-primate zoo. The entrance and shopping plaza doubles as an open air walk-through habitat for capuchin monkeys. Kind of similar to how some zoos allow peafowl to roam free. The entire entrance is surrounded by a river/lake/moat which provides the natural barrier between the capuchin "free roaming enclosure" and several other primate islands, so that guests are actually watch the orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees from inside the capuchin enclosure. Then I'll do bridges to go further into the park.

If I can get enough of them, I may try to replicate the capuchin habitat each time I need to put up shops, so that the illusion will be that they have free roam of the entire zoo, and not just the entrance. Also have an idea for a spot where guests can look down on one of the food courts, as if they're viewing an enclosure for the most dangerous primates, Homo sapiens. I'll definitely need to use either the concrete or the electric fence for that one!
Don't forget to add a Homo sapiens Education Sign😉
You could also build something like a Hall of Primate Evolution where also the Evolution of Humans is explained

hi everyone, i'm back in the game ... with a lot of ... rocks xD
I rebuild the whole area in GEOzoo.
I have placed a flamingo habitat directly behind the zoo entrance. Somehow you always start with the funny pink birds.
20210509165356_1.jpg
20210509165319_1.jpg
20210509165338_1.jpg
To the left of the entrance I have now started with the forest, meadows and mountains region.
Bison and reindeer have moved in there so far.
20210509165144_1.jpg
20210509165121_1.jpg
20210509165010_1.jpg
20210509164948_1.jpg
The idea for the backwall, i've seen on a german let's play series, so its not my own idea...but damn it looks so cool!

"beavers" (disguised as giant otters), lynxes (mod), alpine ibexes (mod), dall sheeps, grizzleys and deers (mod) will follow.
(I don't know if i can show the mods here? So I ask here quietly and secretly)

More enclosures are already planned, but more on that later.

So... i hope now i've got more time for PZ (the last week i played tooooooo much new pokemon snap ... lol x.x)

Stay save and have a nice day :)

The last species in the African section is here: we welcome the gorillas!

20210507145334_1.jpg

20210507145206_1.jpg
20210507145501_1.jpg

I want to share some pictures of the landscape in the tropical section of the African area. As a reminder, there are okapis, nyalas, bongos, pigmy hippos and gorillas (and the giant snail) on this loop/trail.

20210507145908_1.jpg

20210507145931_1.jpg

20210507145953_1.jpg

20210507150029_1.jpg

20210507145751_1.jpg

Since I'm stuck with Booklad but wanted to have a zoo where I can go all out on theming and scenery (also to improve my building skills), I started Golding Event Zoo a few days ago. Golding is the maiden name of one of my book characters and she is an event manager, so I once again combined two of my hobbies ;)

Today I worked for hours on the external restaurant (outside of the zoo) Flamingo Lodge. As you might imagine, you can get a good look of the Flamingos from the terrace of that restaurant. I can't share a pic here, because I use mods, but feel free to check my twitter for a WIP photo if you are interested.

Top Bottom