What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

The track between the elephant house and the enclosure of the elephant bull is taking you a bit away from the African Area and is surrounded by a lot of native foliage. To link the African elephants to the American landscape you will find informations about the modern elephants' extinct cousins who roamed America in the past. Fossils are also often found in desert areas, so it all comes together.
The bull enclosure isn't build yet but part of it will be in the empty area behind this.

Found the images on Google, only adding some filters and such. So credit to whoever made them.
Giants of America.jpg

Spent the weekend setting up my franchise zoo for the upcoming dlc, titled "Rhino Rhiver Rhide". Currently has Indian Rhinos, Kangaroos and Koalas as place holders to draw in guests, but they'll be replaced by the new dlc animals as soon as they're available.

Have lots of shops and exhibit animals, to build up money as possible beforehand so I won't have to worry about it on drop day. Trained up vets and mechanics and have research centers & workshops set up for them so they can start researching immediately. (I usually forget about the mechanic research, since they only do it in franchise once per dlc, so I'm quite happy that I remembered this time!).

Picked a desert biome assuming that will be adequate for all 4 new habitat animals, and built habitats that are probably too big. Hoping that i haven't misjudged or forgotten anything....

Saw that the gharials are the next community challenge, so I'll probably set up a spot for them on the edges sometime after all the new kids are settled.

Hey Guys,

I have some little thingies to share.
Most of the time on the weekend I tinkered with the zoo boards, it just eats up so much time.
But I managed to get an enclosure for zebras, meerkats and gemsboks/springboks.
Unfortunately, the meerkat enclosure has grown too big ... a whole soccer team fits in there.
Does any of you have any idea whether you can make mixed enclosures with meerkats? and if so with what? (Warthogs? or are they too aggressive?)
The Namib enclosure with the oryx and springboks is not quite finished yet, I will show it later.
Oh and oops, there are also nile monitors xD I think the enclosure is pretty cool, finally I managed to do something small.

20210621162813_1.jpg
20210621162729_1.jpg

20210621163006_1.jpg

20210621102137_1.jpg

it is really sad, that we don't have any small 1m enclosure information boards. These monitors are just way too big

I've been doing some changes in my Zarpa zoo in preparation for the new DLC.

1) The warthogs that were supposed to be wild boars in the European section have been replaced by babyrousas:
20210621185053_1.jpg

2) The gemsboks in the African section have been replaced by warthogs:
20210621185338_1.jpg

3) The remaining pigmy hippos in their original habitat have been relocated with the rest of the pigmy hippos in the habitat shared with bongos in the tropical part of the African area:
20210621185309_1.jpg

4) A former backstage gate has been modified in order to allow the African area to grow into a new desert subzone:
20210621181506_1.jpg

5) I've bought a new monitor for my computer to enjoy the game in better quality. It arrives tomorrow (hopefully before the DLC is released!).

I build for the Black Wildebeest, bongos, and have started a tapir's trail. I hope to finish the habitat for the Malayan tapir today before the Africa DLC so I can build for meerkats straight away. I've been taking lots of inspiration from Simply Savannah's Tali zoo franchise lets play. She really has a great eye for design and makes things work well together.

Bongos. The bamboo wall is just temporary until I figure out how to solve their stress levels.

20210622061048_1.jpg

Black wildebeest. I think they are very underlooked animals, even I don't think I've used them at all before. So I wanted to build for an animal I haven't built before and I decided to go for the wildebeest. Very simple habitat.

20210622061117_1.jpg

20210622061140_1.jpg

This is the start of a tapir's trail. Well, it's more like a short walk but whatever. :p I saw this nice trick on Reddit the other day, how to make pretty slopes with a path and it works so well. I've been using it all around the zoo ever since. I have a hard time with terrain in this game and this trick really helps with creating more natural looking slopes and elevations.

20210622061159_1.jpg

Baird's tapir

20210622061216_1.jpg

WIP Malayan tapir habitat

20210622061233_1.jpg

I have to admit, I've been sucked back into the game ever since the announcement of the DLC. :p

Its good to be back in Planet Zoo. The UI changes in the latest patch gave me the confidence to continue one of my bigger franchise zoos where I try to turn the Kölner Zoo of 1914 into zoo with modern standards of animal welfare. But its not a recreation, I take a lot of liberties and only build the major buildings.

Today I began to use the new mesh pieces to improve my big exterior cages. Previously, I was to lazy to cover it with rope pieces. I started with the Birdhouse from 1899 which in real live housed almost everything tropical at one point including apes. I used it to house arboreal animals:

Old satellite cages
20210622164931_1.jpg

Improved satellite cages with mesh roof
20210622214853_1.jpg

20210622214914_1.jpg

Frontside of the building
20210622214939_1.jpg

Besides my experiments with mesh pieces, I was busy hunting escapees. Flamingos, Kangaroos and Baby Reindeer seem to be much more cunning than they used to be
20210622202043_1.jpg

Last edited:
I scrapped my plans to finish up southamerica again and overthrew all plans i had for the Jaguar enclosure and started building with the mesh pieces.
It took about 2 hours and multiple scraps, copys, remodels and individual fixes, but now their habitat is coverd by an aviary style shell out of mesh and wood and its looks rather nice i think. Tomorow i will do the finishing touches on that habitat and hopefully show of both the jaguar habitat and the allready finished neighboring anteater and fake habitat

Nothing fancy to show off, but I love the new Sandbox options and vista points. I built this vet centre where guests can view inside the clinic, and used the vista points to draw people in (negative impact radius turned off, of course). I'm going to replace the elephant signs there with a billboard once I can be bothered designing one. I figure I can just use MS Paint to do something basic, but it might be cool to have a little info board there about the work vets do. There's also a large quarantine inside this building.

Worth mentioning this is a brand new zoo, hence why everything looks so bare right now.

1624396336996.png

Top Bottom