What feature do hope will be updated/refreshed for early 2023?

So as part of the Development plans, we heard about. The CMs said there was a major feature being updated/reworked for 2023. The way I see it, it could be one of the following features;-
  1. Engineering (this seems to be the favourite but it will be the third time it will be reworked).
  2. Crime and Punishment (this includes piracy, Player Piracy, Griefing, Smuggling, the number of NPC pirate attacks)
  3. More Enhancement to the BGS.
  4. Powerplay
  5. CQC
  6. Exobiology (Suggested by zimms)
As much as I'd love powerplay to be reworked, I feel that the Crime and Punishment is the one feature that I feel this game needs reworking more than any other. Crime has to pay (at the moment it doesn't), I feel there needs to be more NPC attacks in mid, low and populated anarchy systems (An unshielded maxed out T-9 should not be able to make it through to an Anarchy systems base) and some proper consequences for players who go seal clubbing / griefing.

We're thinking of using this as a topic in a future Lave radio episode, so we'd like to know what the players think?

Last edited:
I'm afraid a C&P overhaul as the major update for 2023 would feel very lackluster, even though we could really use it. I think whatever feature it will turn out to be, it probably would/should be one with more "involved" gameplay.

And just to add another option to your list: Exobiology.
I know it's still relatively new, but it's so bare bone (imho) I don't intend to spend a lot of time with it until some major changes.

So as part of the Development plans, we heard about. The CMs said there was a major feature being updated/reworked for 2023. The way I see it, it could be one of the following features;-
  1. Engineering (this seems to be the favourite but it will be the third time it will be reworked).
  2. Crime and Punishment (this includes piracy, Player Piracy, Griefing, Smuggling, the number of NPC pirate attacks)
  4. Powerplay
  5. CQC
As much as I'd love powerplay to be reworked, I feel that the Crime and Punishment is the one feature that I feel this game needs reworking more than any other. Crime has to pay (at the moment it doesn't), I feel there needs to be more NPC attacks in mid, low and populated anarchy systems (An unshielded maxed out T-9 should not be able to make it through to an Anarchy systems base) and some proper consequences for players who go seal clubbing / griefing.

We're thinking of using this as a topic in a future Lave radio episode, so we'd like to know what the players think?
Pleh only 4? U mad bro?

1: Engineering needs love, but more to do with pruning uneven mat requirements and some tweaks. Its already had two slices of dev pie so NO MOAR FOR YOU

2: Certainly needs work, but the problem is its a massive and game wide undertaking with many facets

3: No. Its had plenty of love so NO MOAR PIE (slaps plate out of hand)- Powerplay could and should be the more Open Only mirror of the BGS really.

4: THIS

5: THIS (after 4)

Powerplay needs the love as its totally dysfunctional and broken- unlike C+P which although requires updating is functional. Powerplay has the advantage too in that its a self contained feature that could be changed and made more of a combative and open version of the BGS (rather than give the BGS more.

Please don't make me into a burger, but I gotta ask. Do you think enough people still even care about PP to make it worth the investment for Frontier? Honest question.

It also has so many inherent flaws, Frontier might have to scrap it and start all over again. Otherwise people might think it's too little, way too late if only Sandro's suggestions would get implemented for example.

• rare commodities. it's a feature that fell out of practical use, drawing players to explore the bubble and getting involved with BGS.
  • backgroundsimulation. i personally do not need more features, but a rebalancing of various layers. basically do something about the "elite best friends"-syndrom.
  • trade
  • system-map/info inside the game. get horizons players info on odyssey only assets. get commodity market a function not to show markets you can't access. filter fcs you can access etc.

Please don't make me into a burger, but I gotta ask. Do you think enough people still even care about PP to make it worth the investment for Frontier? Honest question.

It also has so many inherent flaws, Frontier might have to scrap it and start all over again. Otherwise people might think it's too little, way too late if only Sandro's suggestions would get implemented for example.
I kinda feel my general interest for ED waning. I'd say they took too big a bite with multiplatform release, found out they can't chew it and had to constantly pull the CP 2077s. Member the Mac version? Same story. Ody they released in alpha for PC, still bugged like hell. Maybe Star Citizen really has already bad influence on gamedev releases.
They see what crap CIG pulls off with customers so why not pull some crap, too?

Wing Mission and PvP Queuing

Details here:

Whether that counts as reworking the current system or adding a new feature, well, I dunno..

There's so much that could use an overhaul....it can really be anything.
I don't understand why Frontier is so secretive about these things. Do they not know what they are overhauling yet? I understand not putting out a detailed description of the changes or artistic billboards that never actually come true (remember that fantasy ice planet or the multiple fleet carrier types), but why not at least name the feature?

The cynic in me wonders if this update is so underwhelming that Frontier rather just keep quiet about it so they can continue selling copies of Elite based on hype rather than reality. I just can't think of a better reason to keep it so hush hush.

I imagine FD would start over with Powerplay, but making something that gives purpose and something new to ED would be a good thing.

And yes, I think there is.

I don't understand why Frontier is so secretive about these things. Do they not know what they are overhauling yet? I understand not putting out a detailed description of the changes or artistic billboards that never actually come true (remember that fantasy ice planet or the multiple fleet carrier types), but why not at least name the feature?

The cynic in me wonders if this update is so underwhelming that Frontier rather just keep quiet about it so they can continue selling copies of Elite based on hype rather than reality. I just can't think of a better reason to keep it so hush hush.
The only good reason I can think of is that they don't know themselves yet which feature it will be.

CQC

A triathlon race. You start off on foot. You have run to your SRV.

You have to hit a series of checkpoints by driving through hoops. Some of those hoops maybe in mid air and you have to jump to get to them. You then have to drive to your Eagle

You have to hit a series of checkpoints by flying through hoops. Some of those hoops may even be ones you've already driven through

Oh... and you have guns so you can fire on your competitors

What I would LOVE it to be: smuggling. To enhance it the way for example mining or exploration was back in a day... wow! I'd love that!

What i think it will be: either engineering or C&P.
I'd love that, but I agree, it's probably engineering, since that's the thing they've actually collected feedback on. Though on foot engineering is in a more dire need of a revamp than ship engineering.

It should be Powerplay, it has the potential to bring in new players & keep existing players engaged, it creates conflict & tension between faction supporters and PP'ers that makes the game interesting.

I think it will be Engineering (again) though, it's what a lot of people complain about. I can understand the frustrations with mats collecting but I don't see a rebalance of drop tables being justifiably described as a feature refresh and upgraded modules can now be obtained in different ways anyway.
Exobiology could become another source of mats as part of that.

Mostly on this topic I agree with Old Duck about the lack of any detail provided.

Last edited:
I'm hoping stations will get refreshed with bathrooms... I'm tired of having to run to all the way to my ship when I'm in a station, at the bar drinking. I've stopped flying large ships because I'm tired of having to clean out my space suit...

The other thing I would like to see is restaurants... After weeks living on dehydrated food in my ship, it would be nice to have a meal made from real food!

And how about clothes? It would be nice to get out my spacesuit, take a real shower and dress in some nice, soft, linens. But of course, we'll need bathroom first as it's a long way to go to the ship without a spacesuit!

4. Powerplay
  5. CQC
  6. Exobiology (Suggested by zimms)

Well I don't know about the rest of the community, but I'm fairly indifferent.

Que sera, sera.

Top Bottom